Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

Very hard. After the few scraggy last night I'm on a few rustbucket tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Siren - Coffee and Ice Cream Ale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Very hard. After the few scraggy last night I'm on a few rustbucket tonight

On the Limeburner myself. Only thing keeping me going until the real pubs reopen!

Dugges Cocoa Cacoa. A collaboration with Artisinal Stillwater. 11.5% Imperial Stout.

Whoah! Full flavour, very strong coffee taste. This is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Kinnegar are always consistent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

O'Haras tropical IPA is absolute sh1t.

Tangerine and mango me hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Pen Rua wrote: »
    I try to be responsible / reasonable and have just one beer with dinner, but not every single night of the week. But there's so many beers I wish to try!

Get yourself a blog. Only way to justify having all your recommended weekly units in a day, every day!

I only tried Kinegar's rustbucket, but wasn't gone on it. Must try their other stuff.

Dugges Cocoa Cacoa. A collaboration with Artisinal Stillwater. 11.5% Imperial Stout.

Whoah! Full flavour, very strong coffee taste. This is good.

That sounds like my cup.
    Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,676 ✭✭✭✭L1011

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Get yourself a blog. Only way to justify having all your recommended weekly units in a day, every day!

Make sure to write about beer, not pubs, or else you might find your justification stolen from you for a few months :pac:

• Advertisement

Banana beer.

A project best left to die.

Although I did have a lovely strawberry shortcake beer a while back, but cannot remember the brewer.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Duvel tonight. Still a great beer.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    That sounds like my cup.
    Dublin?

No, through https://beerrepublic.eu/

The Real Hr Frederiksen - Imperial Stout 10.4% - really good. Evil Twin in collaboration with Amager. I really liked this, really nice chilli pepper aftertaste.

Alesmith Speedway Stout. 12% double coffee stout. Very strong roasted coffee flavour, quite bitter. Good but don’t seem to rate it as high as others.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Otterbank, So it Begins 8.2% mixed fermentation saison. I really loved this beer. Went back to buy another 2. Very dry, not sour, very clean yet complex. Looking forward to more from them.

Hopfully, Knee Socks, mango IPA.
    Absolute pants and another example of a NEIPA labelled as IPA. Fairy liquid beer. Will never buy another IPA from Hopfully as I have no way of knowing what style it actually is.
    I really like their sour raspberry and lime, Swapped Legs, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Absolute pants and another example of a NEIPA labelled as IPA. Fairy liquid beer. Will never buy another IPA from Hopfully as I have no way of knowing what style it actually is.

I got a few cans of Knee Socks from craft central and it was labelled on the site as a mango neipa. The can does just just say mango ipa. Labelling aside I quite enjoyed it but it helps I am quite fond neipa style at the moment, the sweeter and fruitier the better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Otterbank, So it Begins 8.2% mixed fermentation saison. I really loved this beer. Went back to buy another 2. Very dry, not sour, very clean yet complex. Looking forward to more from them.

Assume all IPA's are NEIPA or just use untapped

https://untappd.com/b/hopfully-brewing-kneesocks-mango-ipa/3865949

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Subbuteo

Mad Squirrel ‘de la creme’ milk stout for me tonight. Its drinkable, but i probably need another one or two to decide if i like it or not

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Siren - Coffee and Ice Cream Ale.

Any good? I was torn between a can of this or Siren's hard pour broken dream over the weekend but went for the latter (which was very good although i poured it pretty gently!)

• Advertisement

What's hard pour?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

What's hard pour?

Basically open the can and upend it into a glass as quickly as possible. It's for nitro beers, stouts usually but I'm sure there may be others, to get the best head from the widget in the can.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Had a can of Water Jump and another newish Whiplash IPA, Horse Power. Water Jump was only okay but I really enjoyed Horse Power. Something about the combination of hops used in Water Jump didnt feel right to me. Horse Power was a very well executed NEIPA as you'd expect from Whiplash

Yeah, I wasn't too into Water Jump myself. Got another can to try, and had the same opinion.

Had another Horse Power as well, and it is great.

Any good? I was torn between a can of this or Siren's hard pour broken dream over the weekend but went for the latter (which was very good although i poured it pretty gently!)

I thought it was pretty good, surprisingly light ale but plenty of sweetness. Would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Western Herd - Citra Tuxedo : A black IPA.

Got a 2L growler and between the 2 of us we had it gone very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

RasTa wrote: »
    Assume all IPA's are NEIPA or just use untapped

https://untappd.com/b/hopfully-brewing-kneesocks-mango-ipa/3865949

This has been suggested before and is good advice but I never think of it when I'm in the shop.
    At this stage, I'm just not going to buy any new IPAs unless from a very trusted brewery like Kinnegar or are extremely clearly labelled as to what they are.

I recently bought a bottle of McGargle's Retro IPA. It was lovely but has it really come to the stage now where a beer has to be labelled "Retro" because it harks back to how the style was all of about 3 or 4 years ago!!!!!?

I know I'm a bit like a broken record on this matter but it really bugs me and I think breweries are making a big mistake in not differentiating between two, distinctly different styles.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Pretty much everything over the weekend was new, between Friday night sharing with the better half, and the craic beer festival on Saturday (wives didn't want in this time, so shared with Bro in Law, so we still have another box for a repeat!). Had a few more after the festival, but after the Brehon ones, wouldn't be fair to judge them!

Pick for me from Friday were Whiplash's new Grisette (never had one before, but nice enough I'll be looking to try more), Galway Bay's Blue Monday Oatmeal Stout, and the standout Rye River's "The Dropper".

West Kerry's malty "Antipodean IPA", Treaty City's Red IPA, Reel Deels Say Nowt Stout my favourites from it. The stout had a great depth of flavour for a non-extra/ imperial stout in my opinion. But honestly not a bad beer amongst them. Mescan really sparked an interest, and I know an offy with a decent line up that I'll be trying more of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Duvel tonight. Still a great beer.

Special offer in O'Briens ya ?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Had a can of Forge Ipa by Western Herd over the weekend. A lot of the beer heads on Twitter have been raving about it.
    I'm not sure about it. A little bit too much going on flavour wise. One was just about enough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Special offer in O'Briens ya ?

Think I picked it up in Tesco this time around. What's the offer in O'Brien's?

Had a bottle of Mescan's Special Reserve last night. First time in a long time having one of their beers. Grand stuff.

Advertisement