Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,577 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I haven't, as yet, had a good pint/bottle from Stationworks. Not writing them off forever as breweries can improve greatly but I don't go out of my way to buy them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Happy to see Vocation beers in Dublin, tried the DIPA in London earlier this year and it was very nice. The IPA is pretty good as well!

Also got some Siren stuff I hadn't tried before - BA Caribbean Chocolate Cake is much worse than the nom BA version, it's just too thin bodied of a beer for BA, a watery alcoholic taste

Hillbilly Wine is much too boozy too

Boundary Brewing IPA is really weird, it doesn't really taste like anything. So "goes down easy" which would be a positive statement for some, not for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

RasTa wrote: »
    I heard the Siren one is even hotter, collab with hoppin frog

Siren 5 alarm gets the chili level just right, neon overlord is just way to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

Lidl crafty brew range american wheat ale. IS ABSOLUTELY SAVAGE... 2 euro a bottle 5% for 500ml of potentially beer of the year highly recommend ye all
    Check it out ........

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Brewdog Born to die 04-11-16 is stunning.
    Have an Alpine duet in the fridge for later. Thinking about beer and its not even 930am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

snowblind wrote: »
    Happy to see Vocation beers in Dublin, tried the DIPA in London earlier this year and it was very nice. The IPA is pretty good as well!
    Love the 3 Vocation beers that are widely available in cans. They were my Electric Picnic beers. Picked up a load of them up north beforehand. I think it was Tesco? They were in a 4 for £6 range. It was good value then, but it'd be even better value now that the £ has crashed.

Lidl crafty brew range american wheat ale. IS ABSOLUTELY SAVAGE... 2 euro a bottle 5% for 500ml of potentially beer of the year highly recommend ye all
    Check it out ........
    The Abbaye de Vauclair - Biere Blanche is really nice too. It's a light, fruity Witbier, nothing out of this world spectacular, but I really enjoyed it. I think it was around €2.50 (or thereabouts) for a 750ML bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,097 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Thinking of trying the Eight Degrees range.

Any opinions on the beer?

Clegg wrote: »

What's to think about? They make pretty solid beers, especially IPAs and the like. As with all beers, they're open to interpretation and personal taste. Just buy some, try them, and form opinion from there. Surely that's the most important opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭jh79

Clegg wrote: »

My favourites of the range are Amber Ella and Full Irish.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    What's to think about? They make pretty solid beers, especially IPAs and the like. As with all beers, they're open to interpretation and personal taste. Just buy some, try them, and form opinion from there. Surely that's the most important opinion?

Ah no I'm definitely getting a few. Just curious as to what others thought of them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Eight Degree's core range is solid but their IPAs are the standouts. Full Irish, Hurricane and Polar Vortex would be my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

I like Eight Degrees' Big River IPA also.

Thanks for the recommendations, lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Had 2 pints of Wrasslers last night, first time in ages as last two times i'd been in Porterhouse Temple Bar and Nassau Street they were out. Love that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Cast Iron

Lagunitas Aunt Sally sour ale and yes it sure is sour. One bottle was enough for me.

Recuperated with a Brew Dog Elvis Juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Cast Iron

irish_goat wrote: »
    Eight Degree's core range is solid but their IPAs are the standouts. Full Irish, Hurricane and Polar Vortex would be my favourites.

Grand Stretch is great also. Can't remember if it's a seasonal or not.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Cast Iron wrote: »
    Grand Stretch is great also. Can't remember if it's a seasonal or not.
    I think it was a once-off in 2015. Summer Days replaced it this year.

Is there an anti sour beer thread?☺ apart from Bulmer and the likes of those alcohol pop types I'd drink any beer......but sours I can't do ...had my first ones in la mort subite in Brussels many moons ago. Didn't like them then and don't like th now...rant over.

At cork beer fest in the city hall tried a lot of them. None really took my fancy. Anything in virtue that could turn me

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

I have to agree about the sour beers. I just don't understand the appeal.

I had an 8 degrees supernova tonight. Very tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

I do love most sours myself, but sometimes it does feels like I'm drinking expensive cider.
    They defo seem to be en vogue at the min. Having said that, some are really exceptional. Castaway (passionfruit sour) comes to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,303 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The only sour beer I've ever tasted was Rodenbach, and that was enough to put me off wanting to try any more. Definitely the complete opposite of what I like.

I do like a darker beer in winter as a kind of break from hoppy beer types. Have fairly loose taste buds but these sours are a different beast.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm starting to enjoy sour beers. This time last year I could hardly finish a glass of lambic in Brussels, but since then I've been sampling them more and more often. I perplexed a few people at a party last weekend with a bottle of GBB's Brigid (or whatever they re-branded it). :D

Had a look on Drinkstore earlier this evening and couldn't find much to tempt me for my Christmas stash this year. Are there any specials or seasonals that folks here would recommend I keep an eye out for?

Wasn't a huge fan of sour beers initially but I've grown to really like them, especially the ones with a fruity kick. I like the ones that err towards citrus/lemon as it compliments the sourness really well. Almost makes it taste like liquid sherbert when done well.....or I this case, to my tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

I had to aquire a taste for sours, now I love them. mariage parfait is my favourite. They are popular with Irish brewers atm due to the price of hops. Kettle souring a brew rather than dumping a boat load of citra in far more cost effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,951 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Cast Iron wrote: »
    Lagunitas Aunt Sally sour ale and yes it sure is sour. One bottle was enough for me.

Recuperated with a Brew Dog Elvis Juice.

Ha ha. That's entry level sour!

I'm really enjoying the current sour craze!
    I've been harping on about sour beers for a decade now since stumbling across Rodenbach Grand Cru and confusing the hell out of myself.
    I'd probably drink almost exclusively sours if I could and it's nearly possible these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

Check it out ........

Picked up a couple of bottles on the way home yesterday, great beer. Wheat beer is maybe a bit misleading it's more like an East Coast style pale ale which has gone through the centrifuge.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

On a related note, 8 Degrees' No Way Gose is fantastic. It's a shame it won't be bottled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Love sours but I've never drank more than 2 pints on a night out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Only got into them recently. But 1 or 2 is the most I can drink in a night.

Advertisement