Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Think I picked it up in Tesco this time around. What's the offer in O'Brien's?

Had a bottle of Mescan's Special Reserve last night. First time in a long time having one of their beers. Grand stuff.

4 bottles for 10e. Which is a pretty good deal.

Mescans stuff is really good the Red Trippel especially.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Mescans stuff is really good the Red Trippel especially.

Went out and bought a bottle of the Trippel last night off the back of your recommendation. It did not disappoint! Must find out if anyone is stocking their Westporter stout soon.

I'll be having a bottle of Ola Dubh 12 from Harviestoun tonight. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Went for a Belgian beer last night as it has been sometime, Cornet Oaked (Brouwerij Palm) 8.5% typical Belgian styled blonde beer.
    Really liked it and I miss my work trips to Belgium now !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Zaph wrote: »
    Basically open the can and upend it into a glass as quickly as possible. It's for nitro beers, stouts usually but I'm sure there may be others, to get the best head from the widget in the can.
    Finally opened my lervig nitro hot chocolate stout.
    Christ what a mess.
    Delicious stout though, just pure chocolate from beginning to end. Nothing else, no coffee, no toffee, no caramel, just smooth chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Christ what a mess.
    Delicious stout though, just pure chocolate from beginning to end. Nothing else, no coffee, no toffee, no caramel, just smooth chocolate.

They had a QR code an all on the top with a video of how to open it - open and turn into a glass FAST. Had it some weeks ago. Absolutely gorgeous.

• Advertisement

Pen Rua wrote: »
    They had a QR code an all on the top with a video of how to open it - open and turn into a glass FAST. Had it some weeks ago. Absolutely gorgeous.

Oh I saw it alright. Still couldn't believe how quickly it came to the top.
    Ah well live and learn.

Have liked everything I've had from Western Herd so far but the hop burst IPA isn't nice at all.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The problem with the Lervig stout is that they inadvertently overfilled the cans. They're basically small explosive devices masquerading as cans of beer. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Debub

Christ what a mess.

Hi - where can I get thisplease? Would you know if any shops in Cork stock it - sounds very interesting
    thanks

Debub wrote: »
    Hi - where can I get thisplease? Would you know if any shops in Cork stock it - sounds very interesting
    thanks

Bradleys is your best bet. I was in there last week and they had a handful of cans of it left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,676 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Got a can of Pointy Shoes 2 yesterday; and some Goodbye Blue Monday - but ended up going to bed at about the time you put a six year old to bed so they're left for tonight still.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Have liked everything I've had from Western Herd so far but the hop burst IPA isn't nice at all.
    I thought it was really nice. I've found Coast Road a bit inconsistent, although haven't tried it in cans.
    L1011 wrote: »
    Got a can of Pointy Shoes 2 yesterday; and some Goodbye Blue Monday - but ended up going to bed at about the time you put a six year old to bed so they're left for tonight still.
    Have the former lined up for this evening myself, had Blue Monday last week and enjoyed it.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I thought it was really nice. I've found Coast Road a bit inconsistent, although haven't tried it in ages.

I just found it burnt on the way down. I'd chance it again though in case it was a bad one.

Speaking of, I've a growler of their black ipa for this evening. Heard really good things.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Trying Wicklow Wolf marshmallow & chocolate oatmeal stout, as the offie was out of Pointy Shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

More supermarket beers. Not sure if this is bad for pubs, brewers or bottleshops.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Had a couple of White Hag's Atlantean in the Bierhaus earlier.

Lovely juicy and citrusy New England IPA.
    Recommend.

5.4% €6.5 per pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I'm working my way through a large bottle of La Trappe Dubbel. I would normally have the Blond but I'm much preferring the Dubbel. Wonderful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Haven't had any O Brother beers in a long time so picked up a can of their new DIPA called Freedoom. Powerful stuff at 8.4% but very nice indeed. Hopefully see more like this from them because their core range never really appealed to me. Also had a can of Black's Ace of Haze V3 - Idaho 7 Edition, terrible looking can and name aside it was packed full of flavour for a lowish abv ddh neipa. Been really impressed in general with nearly all the new releases from Irish brewers over the last few months

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

12 acres Hazy IPA, is a lovely drop and Sierra Nevada Wild thing Sour is very drinkable with a nice tang to it, a lot of sours can disappoint,this is a good one

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Shared a can of Pointy Shoes tonight with one of my craft beer-drinking friends, and gave samples to 2 of the lads who wouldn't usually be too adventurous. I loved my half of the can. The others were a little overwhelmed! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    O'Haras tropical IPA is absolute sh1t.

Tangerine and mango me hole.

I wish I read this before I tried it. It's just plain bad, should be done for false advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Boundary - Eschatology, a double coffee salted caramel imperial stout. This is really really good, highly recommended.

Amundsen - Dessert in a can, chocolate and mango creamsicle. Sweet And quite good but also quite boring.

Omnipollo - Pecan Mud Pie, the local Supervalu stocks this so I thought I’d try it again as I wasn’t mad about it first couple of times... still not made about it but it’s ok.

Evil Twin - ET Stay Home 4, Raspberry, BlackBerry and Marshmallow IPA Sour. This is an incredible drink, one of the best I’ve ever tasted and usually I wouldn’t be mad about sours. If you get a chance then grab this.

Evil Twin - Raspberry, Coffee Smoothie Stout - Double coffee Imperial Stout. A very fine drink, different tastes work really well.

Whiplash - Water Jump - a fine tasty IPA.

Boundary - Eschatology, a double coffee salted caramel imperial stout. This is really really good, highly recommended.

Amundsen - Dessert in a can, chocolate and mango creamsicle. Sweet And quite good but also quite boring.

Omnipollo - Pecan Mud Pie, the local Supervalu stocks this so I thought I’d try it again as I wasn’t mad about it first couple of times... still not made about it but it’s ok.

Evil Twin - ET Stay Home 4, Raspberry, BlackBerry and Marshmallow IPA Sour. This is an incredible drink, one of the best I’ve ever tasted and usually I wouldn’t be mad about sours. If you get a chance then grab this.

Evil Twin - Raspberry, Coffee Smoothie Stout - Double coffee Imperial Stout. A very fine drink, different tastes work really well.

Whiplash - Water Jump - a fine tasty IPA.

Which SV and how much?

I think I'd just buy 5 of the whiplash.

Haven't had any O Brother beers in a long time so picked up a can of their new DIPA called Freedoom. Powerful stuff at 8.4% but very nice indeed. Hopefully see more like this from them because their core range never really appealed to me. Also had a can of Black's Ace of Haze V3 - Idaho 7 Edition, terrible looking can and name aside it was packed full of flavour for a lowish abv ddh neipa. Been really impressed in general with nearly all the new releases from Irish brewers over the last few months

Can’t say I’m madly in love with Black’s branding, but their beers are always solid. M

Worst beer labels in Ireland I think, or one of the worst.

RasTa wrote: »
    Which SV and how much?

Pettitts in Wexford town and €7 I think.

craftcentral.ie in Dublin City Centre might also have it in stock.

thanks

Craft central.ie.
    Flat rate shipping nationwide so you could try a few new things

thanks

Supervalu in Wexford town has this as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Schlenkerla Rauchbier tonight. Super value has the full range in which is amazing.
    I've been an IPA advocate for well over a decade now but over the last few months I'm starting to fall out of love with them a bit... I think it's the modernisation of the style, the sickly sweet hazy hop juice everyone is producing. I liked it for a good while but I find now it's over done. Over played. Everyone's doing it. Kinda miss bitterness in IPAs! They're obviously selling well.

Advertisement