Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Shared a can of Pointy Shoes tonight with one of my craft beer-drinking friends, and gave samples to 2 of the lads who wouldn't usually be too adventurous. I loved my half of the can. The others were a little overwhelmed! :D
    Missed out last year, but had it on Friday night. Absolutely amazing beer. I'm often underwhelmed by barrel aged beers as I find they're overpowered by the barrel, but this was amazingly balanced. I also shared my first can. I won't be sharing my second!

The other weekend highlight for me was a Galway Bay Smoked Marzen. These darker lagers are new to me, so can't say whether it's a good/ bad/ indifferent example of the style, but I really enjoyed it!

Actually had a couple of lagers - Hope Underdog was very good, and Trouble Brewing's Mandarin Crush. I'm really coming back to them, after being turned off years ago by the commercial rubbish. This is probably more controversial, but the same with craft wheat beers compared to erdinger.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

slayerking wrote: »
    Schlenkerla Rauchbier tonight. Super value has the full range in which is amazing.
    I've been an IPA advocate for well over a decade now but over the last few months I'm starting to fall out of love with them a bit... I think it's the modernisation of the style, the sickly sweet hazy hop juice everyone is producing. I liked it for a good while but I find now it's over done. Over played. Everyone's doing it. Kinda miss bitterness in IPAs! They're obviously selling well.

Yes!!!
    IPA IS DEAD.
    The breweries have killed it.

Lidl have a lovely black lager at the moment. Pyynikin.

500ml cans as well :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Haven't seen pointy shoes yet, has anyone tried apex s'mores?

Haven't seen pointy shoes yet, has anyone tried spec smores?

I'd say pointy shoes is long gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Seems to be gone there now as well.

One of my go to off licences says they should be getting some in from another branch, and he's going to put a few aside for me.

My local off licence also said they should be getting some more barrel aged Black Boar in, so going to try and stock up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Mammoth IPA from Wicklow Wolf.
    Nice drop early in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Haven't seen pointy shoes yet, has anyone tried apex s'mores?

I'd say pointy shoes is long gone.

Pettitts Supervalu in St Aidan’s in Wexford Town has Pointy Shoes and S’Mores, I just bought 2 cans of each - now I’m thinking I should have bought more!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,382 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Is this good?

Is it own-brand? I don't think so.

I think it's Finnish?

I hear Bernard from CZ is a good dark lager.

• Advertisement

Pettitts Supervalu in St Aidan’s in Wexford Town has Pointy Shoes and S’Mores, I just bought 2 cans of each - now I’m thinking I should have bought more!

😭 Ah ****e, I won't be down there anytime soon.
    I really hate this anxious, FOMO feeling

Geuze wrote: »
    Is this good?

Is it own-brand? I don't think so.

I think it's Finnish?

I hear Bernard from CZ is a good dark lager.
    I've little to compare it too, but I think it's nice. Not own brand, as far as I can tell it's craft, at least their website claims it to be. But then so does the steamboat muck that lidl also sell at the same time.

Had a look in supervalu and they had a couple of darker lagers, but I've Lineman "Undertone" en route from beer club.

The FOMO is what load of them are relying on but when one release two limited editions in the one week it's probably time to just leave them to it.

The FOMO is what load of them are relying on but when one release two limited editions in the one week it's probably time to just leave them to it.

Absolute notions.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭toffeeshel

Barnhill stores in Dalkey had some pointy shoes in stock yesterday

A very general question here...

Apart from Craft Central, Martins in Fairview and possible Redmonds in Ranelagh, are there any other Off-Licences that have a wide choice like these fellas have?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Apart from Craft Central, Martins in Fairview and possible Redmonds in Ranelagh, are there any other Off-Licences that have a wide choice like these fellas have?

Drinkstore in Stoneybatter is the one that immediately comes to mind. Tiny shop though and I’m not sure if they are allowing people in the shop since Covid. Great collection and one of the original craft beer off licences.

The molloys branches, particularly the Tallaght and Liberties branches.
    O'Brien's have good selections but don't usually get the rarities.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Drinkstore in Stoneybatter is the one that immediately comes to mind. Tiny shop though and I’m not sure if they are allowing people in the shop since Covid. Great collection and one of the original craft beer off licences.

Actually forgot completely about them, will check them out again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Add Blackrock Cellar, McHugh's (Artane and Kilbarrack) and Mace on South Circular Road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

The Fresh supermarkets are very good (or at least the Smithfield one and Grand Canal are). They do 6 for the price of 5 on craft beer so can work out quite a bit cheaper than craft central if you are going there for the one offs like pointy shoes or Whiplash DIPAs or whatever.

Another option in the city is Baggot Street Wines. Probably the priciest of all of the options outlined here but good selection.

Blackrock Cellar (in Blackrock obvs) is like an adult candy store. A shop you could spend 30 mins looking around before coming out with a rake of random beers from around the world, the latest Irish craft beer, some cheese and some bread.

The O'Briens shops vary in quality store to store, I am from Bray and sometimes the shop on the Quinnsboro road is very good. The one at the Beacon is great. The Molloys in Ballyogan, near Cherrywood has a super selection, particularly of 750ml bottles from around the place.

For other online options - craftbeersdelivered.com is looking like a big challenger for Craft Central, wider selection of beers and similarly priced - run out of Celtic Whiskey Shop on Dawson Street.

Higgins in Clonskeagh has a decent selection, and a few 3 for €9, 3 for €10, 4 for €10 offers. It was my "go to" when I was in the Office - and have always brought a few the few days I've been back in.

I've only really discovered the online options since going remote.
    For other online options - craftbeersdelivered.com is looking like a big challenger for Craft Central, wider selection of beers and similarly priced - run out of Celtic Whiskey Shop on Dawson Street.
    Used craftdirect.ie last week for the first time, and was impressed with the delivery time and no minimum order. Picked up a few that were sold out in Beer Club.

Discovered beercloud.ie through the craic beer festivals. Actually where I got my (first) pointy shoes! Again, no minimum order, but doesn't have the number of single can options of some of the others.

However, they've started doing some quite interesting boxes. I've brought a few of the monthly boxes, and now they're offering a few more mixed boxes here that will be on the list when we work down what we have a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭srfc d16

Deveneys in Dundrum village is my go to.

Molloys are great. I use the one on Francis St. all the time.

They even managed to get me a couple of cans of Pointy Shoes from another branch and had them put aside for me today.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

IMG-20200917-192036-01.jpg

Sunset beer, White Gypsy - The Banker

Like an Angel pissing on your Tongue!

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Having a thornbridge Jaipur.

8x330ml for £9 in Tesco up north yesterday!

Forgotten how solid it is. Pretty refreshing to have a clear IPA again.

Having a Boundary - Eschatology Imperial Salted Caramel Stout tonight. Last beer before I head to France for three weeks and it's nothing but wine!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,676 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Got O Brother's Love Hurts - tenth person to check it in on Untappd so presumably very new. Nice but bloody dear from memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,112 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

IMG-20200917-192036-01.jpg

Sunset beer, White Gypsy - The Banker

Like an Angel pissing on your Tongue!

Where did you come across that beaut?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭Ryath

Effects wrote: »
    Having a Boundary - Eschatology Imperial Salted Caramel Stout tonight. Last beer before I head to France for three weeks and it's nothing but wine!

Have one in the fridge for tomorrow. Drinking a Wicklow Wolf Smores at the minute.

No need to stay of the beer! Chimay Blue is about €1:40 a bottle in most hypermarche's. Westmalle, Rochefort and St Bernardus all widely available.

Advertisement