Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Where did you come across that beaut?

It's the local brew, 6.5 abv from the keg...cycled home like a boss after a few:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Ryath wrote: »
    No need to stay of the beer! Chimay Blue is about €1:40 a bottle in most hypermarche's. Westmalle, Rochefort and St Bernardus all widely available.

Not entirely my type of beers. There's one decent place in a village nearby with a good selection. Not sure if they'll be open due to covid and possibly September.
    I'll grab a few from the supermarket to try though.

I'm happy enough to switch to mainly wine for a while though!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,687 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Effects wrote: »
    Molloys are great. I use the one on Francis St. all the time.

They even managed to get me a couple of cans of Pointy Shoes from another branch and had them put aside for me today.

The Molloys in Clondalkin has a bigger craft selection than it used to, but is still a dead loss in terms of anything limited edition.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

L1011 wrote: »
    Got O Brother's Love Hurts - tenth person to check it in on Untappd so presumably very new. Nice but bloody dear from memory.

Their beers are excellent but are a bit pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Their beers are excellent but are a bit pricey.

I've had 3 of the last 4 special brews they've done (if I am counting right this Oat Cream IPA is the fifth in the last couple of weeks) and all of them have been super; I gladly pay the slightly higher than usual price.

Good to know this one is in the offies - might make a trip to Bradley's!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Ryath wrote: »
    Drinking a Wicklow Wolf Smores at the minute.
    And the verdict? Have a couple, probably only one lined up for the weekend though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Pen Rua wrote: »
    I've had 3 of the last 4 special brews they've done (if I am counting right this Oat Cream IPA is the fifth in the last couple of weeks) and all of them have been super; I gladly pay the slightly higher than usual price.

Good to know this one is in the offies - might make a trip to Bradley's!

I have one of the Oat Cream ones for the weekend. What was it like?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,676 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Got a second Pointy Shoes today and there's still some on the shelf in Sweeneys in Marino.
    I have one of the Oat Cream ones for the weekend. What was it like?

That's the one I had, its decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Plenty in of Pointy Shoes in stock in Bradley's in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

What's the story with Lineman Brewery? Got a few today in Donegal. Currently enjoying a Lineman tart kviek outside. Not as warm out now as I thought it would be!

IMG-20200918-183212.jpg

• Advertisement

Beanstalk wrote: »
    What's the story with Lineman Brewery? Got a few today in Donegal. Currently enjoying a Lineman tart kviek outside. Not as warm out now as I thought it would be!

IMG-20200918-183212.jpg

Their dark lager is nice.

I gave Galway Bays oatmeal IPA a try this evening after hearing good things but it's exactly what I thought. Can't get round to these harsh overly cloudy IPA's at all. Back on the Scraggy now, so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Ordered the Samuel Smith beer range from Beer Club. Organic Larger is pretty nice so far

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    Ordered the Samuel Smith beer range from Beer Club. Organic Larger is pretty nice so far

Awful pity they don't stock the India ale.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Beanstalk wrote: »
    What's the story with Lineman Brewery?
    Rascals moved to Inchicore and sold their brewery in Rathcoole to Mark. Mark uses it to make Lineman beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Awful pity they don't stock the India ale.

Didn't know about their India Ale, they ran out of their Nut Ale but their Chocolate Stout is unreal

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    Didn't know about their India Ale, they ran out of their Nut Ale but their Chocolate Stout is unreal

Martin's in Fairview does the India and the Nut Brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Vocation x Amundsen Imperial Frappè, mooi lekker!!!

OOnegative wrote: »
    Vocation x Amundsen Imperial Frappè, mooi lekker!!!

Bless you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Bless you.

Didn’t sneeze!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Helmet

BeerNut wrote: »
    Rascals moved to Inchicore and sold their brewery in Rathcoole to Mark. Mark uses it to make Lineman beer.

Astral Grains is a great FES!

Lidl have a lovely black lager at the moment. Pyynikin.

Tried it earlier tonight and it's quite good.

Their Pacific Pale Ale is totally meh though. Not terrible, but disappointing.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Plenty in of Pointy Shoes in stock in Bradley's in Cork.

On their website though it's not even out of stock, it's "not found" :(

Helmet wrote: »
    Astral Grains is a great FES!

Had Astral Grains on draft a few months ago and loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

On their website though it's not even out of stock, it's "not found" :(

Alot of places won't bother putting the specials/limited editions on their sites as they won't stay long.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 PubInDublin

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Higgins in Clonskeagh has a decent selection, and a few 3 for €9, 3 for €10, 4 for €10 offers. It was my "go to" when I was in the Office - and have always brought a few the few days I've been back in.

I've only really discovered the online options since going remote.

Used craftdirect.ie last week for the first time, and was impressed with the delivery time and no minimum order. Picked up a few that were sold out in Beer Club.

Discovered beercloud.ie through the craic beer festivals. Actually where I got my (first) pointy shoes! Again, no minimum order, but doesn't have the number of single can options of some of the others.

However, they've started doing some quite interesting boxes. I've brought a few of the monthly boxes, and now they're offering a few more mixed boxes that will be on the list when we work down what we have a bit!

Thanks for the craftdirect.ie link, never heard of it before and it had a few beers in stock I was looking for that weren't on/available on Craft Central which would have been my staple. Cheers.

A question for the Pointy Shoes drinkers - I've never had it and just wondering how it compares to a personal favourite, Leann Follain. Appreciate it's twice the ABV but in terms of taste etc., it is worth the extra few shillings? Writing my list to Santa for Christmas soon! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

A question for the Pointy Shoes drinkers - I've never had it and just wondering how it compares to a personal favourite, Leann Follain. Appreciate it's twice the ABV but in terms of taste etc., it is worth the extra few shillings? Writing my list to Santa for Christmas soon! :)

Maybe I missed it earlier but what is Pointy Shoes? I am drinking Leann Follain at present...6% Abv. I had assumed Pointy Shoes was some trendy Ipa or Neipa or something like that with some trendy hops.

As ye can see, I enjoy Leann Follain but would love an ABV twice its 6%. Available anywhere on the Northside?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 PubInDublin

sceach16 wrote: »
    Maybe I missed it earlier but what is Pointy Shoes? I am drinking Leann Follain at present...6% Abv. I had assumed Pointy Shoes was some trendy Ipa or Neipa or something like that with some trendy hops.

As ye can see, I enjoy Leann Follain but would love an ABV twice its 6%. Available anywhere on the Northside?

A big Leann Follain fan myself as I mentioned above and very reasonably priced. Would be hard to beat.

I can't comment on Pointy Shoes as I've never tried it, but gets a lot of mention on here so I'm very interested. I think someone mentioned Sweeney's in Marino as a stockist in the last few days if that's near you?

Tonight had:

Pointy Shoes - it was fine, maybe I’ve been drinking too much barrel aged stuff recently but this didn’t stand out for me like KBS would... sorry.

O Brother - Love Hurts Oat Cream IPA - grand, once is enough.

Garage - Plant IPA, strong sweet and daycent.

Northern Monk Patrons Project 4.07, Tropical IPA, half decent, quite nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Have you had a barrel aged stout before?

Advertisement