Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Helmet

I had a bottle of Crann Beatha from Brehon last night, cracking imperial stout!

Picked myself up a mini keg of that Sullivans red and I think that could be my afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Few new ones(to me anyway) over the weekend.

Brewdog vs Cloudwater NEIPA - Decent as you'd expect from these 2. Stronger than I expected hops which added some nice bitterness.
    Brewdog OG Hazy - I really like the lower abv hazy jane and this is much the same but at 7.2%. Cant fault it really.
    White Hag Heidrun Bock beer - Been a long time since I've had a bock and this is pretty much how I remember them. Would like to see White Hag do another kolsch.
    O Brother Love Hurts - Oat cream ipa whatever that means. Very smooth but strangely bland, not too bad but I much preferred their other recent release Freedoom.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 PubInDublin

Have you had a barrel aged stout before?

Just the once from memory, I think it was Boyne Brewing creation. I liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Macy0161

My usual Monday report...
    Friday shared a few with the missus...
    • Coola Boola from Wicklow Brewery - very pleasant actually!
    • Rascals Tokyo Calling - Fruity session
    • Galway Bay - Oregon Grown. I thought is was ok, but not amazing.
    • Otterbank Brewing "So It begins" - very special, although herself wasn't a fan.

Saturday night was mainly lager (a few tasters shared out of each)...
    • St Mels - Helles. Probably the lager that stopped me writing off the style.
    • Lineman - Undertone Dark Lager. Very nice, will be buying more.
    • Galway Bay - Marzen to the Fire. Really really loving this one!
    • Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier - Marzen. Again, really loved this one.
    • Had a couple of black lagers then - Hop City 8th Sin, and the Pyynikin from lidl. Really wish there was more Irish dark lager options.
    Finished off with a couple of stouts...
    • Apex S'mores - enjoyed this one, have a second, but not enough to hunt out too many more unlike Pointy Shoes
    • Astral Grains - will be buying more of this!

I'm yet to have a poor Lineman. Have the Amplify DIPA to try as well.
    A question for the Pointy Shoes drinkers - I've never had it and just wondering how it compares to a personal favourite, Leann Follain. Appreciate it's twice the ABV but in terms of taste etc., it is worth the extra few shillings? Writing my list to Santa for Christmas soon! :)
    Leann Follain is my regular stout, can't be beaten for value for money.

There's more depth with imperials. What I liked with Pointy Shoes compared to most barrel aged was the barrel was subtle rather than over powering. Too many, for me, just taste of whiskey.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I'm yet to have a poor Lineman. Have the Amplify DIPA to try as well.
    Spoiler: it's excellent. Suitable for the haze-dodgers of this parish too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

BeerNut wrote: »
    Spoiler: it's excellent. Suitable for the haze-dodgers of this parish too.

ha ha "haze-dodgers" I like it.

Tried Oktoberfest Märzen (Hacker-Pschorr) at the weekend and was ok. Loved the smell but thought it was a bit too sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Just the once from memory, I think it was Boyne Brewing creation. I liked it.

Well the winter seasonals like pointy shoes are usually limited runs, and have been aged in whiskey barrels for a year or so.
    They usually have huge flavour and lots of layers.
    They're release and tasting is like an annual calender event!

But if you're thinking of dabbling, try to equate the high price with high quality and be considerate of how you drink them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭DilD

Currently in the fridge is Camden Hells and Punk IPA. Not sure what's going on in Tesco but the prices are crazy cheap right now on these

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Lineman Undertone. The can said dark lager, so I was expecting a schwarzbier, rather than something closer to the colour of Smithwicks. It's grand and pretty easy to drink, however it lacks the nice roasted flavours of a schwarzbier that I was hoping for. I wouldn't bother with it again, but as far as lagers go, it's definitely several steps up from the bog-standard commercial brews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Did anyone get a can of the Northern Monk Patrons Project Fudge Sundaze?

Have tried to get my hands on it but haven’t been able to, would love to know what it tastes like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Zaph wrote: »
    Lineman Undertone. The can said dark lager, so I was expecting a schwarzbier, rather than something closer to the colour of Smithwicks. It's grand and pretty easy to drink, however it lacks the nice roasted flavours of a schwarzbier that I was hoping for. I wouldn't bother with it again, but as far as lagers go, it's definitely several steps up from the bog-standard commercial brews.

It's intended as a Dunkel akin to Hofbrau, Erdinger etc. Schwarzbier would be a different style. Very few of them made in Ireland, last I remember was one from St. Mel's about 3 or 4 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Macy0161

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Very few of them made in Ireland, last I remember was one from St. Mel's about 3 or 4 years ago.
    Ordered a mini keg of Dead Centre "The Man Comes Around" last night! Not being canned, apparently.

Anyway, what I've been told by various people, including Liam from St Mels and by Quincey in Wicklow Wolf (who had a Rauchbeir as one of their endangered species last year) is that they just didn't sell. The Wicklow Wolf Ranchero was really good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Anyway, what I've been told by various people, including Liam from St Mels and by Quincey in Wicklow Wolf (who had a Rauchbeir as one of their endangered species last year) is that they just didn't sell.
    DAMN YOU, HAZEBROS!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

would love a good rauchbier now this evening as the cold draws in, one of these if i could get down to Dublin to pick one up...

Aecht-Schlenkerla-Rauchbier-Marzen-Bottle.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

www.mash.marketing/ipa

Great article on the whole what is an IPA

• Registered Users Posts: 16,981 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Any nice German/Polish/Czech Octoberfest special brews available at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

BPKS wrote: »

Galway Bay have a Marzen out - https://craftcentral.ie/collections/galway-bay-brewery/products/galway-bay-oktoberfest-marzen-style-lager-440ml-can-5-8-abv?variant=32871020527651

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭kilrush

Pen Rua wrote: »

Is this anything like their last one? Marzen to the fire I think it was called? That one was lovely anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

kilrush wrote: »
    Is this anything like their last one? Marzen to the fire I think it was called? That one was lovely anyhow.

I haven't had it yet (can in the fridge) but Marzen to the Fire was a smoked beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

BPKS wrote: »

Aldi will have the Spaten Oktoberfest and a few others in this weekend according to their latest leaflet. Meant to be in today but none yet in my local as I was just in to grab a few! :(

I'm presuming the Brewdog X Aldi collab won't make its way over here...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

DilD wrote: »
    I'm presuming the Brewdog X Aldi collab won't make its way over here...

Nah I'd doubt it but they might do more collabs with Irish brewers like the recent Lough Gill stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭kilrush

Pen Rua wrote: »
    I haven't had it yet (can in the fridge) but Marzen to the Fire was a smoked beer.

Ah of course it was, the fire may have given it away if I thought long enough. Let us know what you think about this one once you’ve had a chance to try it anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Beanstalk wrote: »
    would love a good rauchbier now this evening as the cold draws in, one of these if i could get down to Dublin to pick one up...

Aecht-Schlenkerla-Rauchbier-Marzen-Bottle.jpg

Where are you based?
    I am in Meath and may be able to get my hands on some later if you are near Navan/Tara ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

RasTa wrote: »
    www.mash.marketing/ipa

Great article on the whole what is an IPA

thanks for this!

Nah I'd doubt it but they might do more collabs with Irish brewers like the recent Lough Gill stuff

Any suggestions on Irish beers that are decent? I've had a few, not too many, but couldn't take to them at all, they all left the same dry harsh unpleasant taste.

I usually drink Pales and IPA's. The likes of Punk IPA, Dead Pony, Hazy Jane by Brewdog. Gamma Ray, Neck Oil by Beavertown. Sierra Nevada, Kernel, Brooklyn, Five Points, etc.

Whiplash do great hazy IPAs

Whiplash do great hazy IPAs

Is that the 'Rollover' one? Will have to give it a try, say's they sell them in my local carry out. Kerry is just horrific for anything decent on tap :(

• Advertisement

well they have a range of beers, Rollover is a lower ABV beer, a session IPA

they have a new beer released about once every 3-4 weeks, have a look on their website

but if you are talking about on tap, then I can't help you.

Advertisement