Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭DilD

well they have a range of beers, Rollover is a lower ABV beer, a session IPA

they have a new beer released about once every 3-4 weeks, have a look on their website

but if you are talking about on tap, then I can't help you.

Cans for now is fine. Just moved back to Kerry (temporarily) so I've accepted the fact that if I want decent beer in a Pub it's not going to happen around here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

DilD wrote: »
    Cans for now is fine. Just moved back to Kerry (temporarily) so I've accepted the fact that if I want decent beer in a Pub it's not going to happen around here!

Kinnegar, Scraggy bay.

RasTa wrote: »
    Kinnegar, Scraggy bay.

Never seen that around my way. Funny thing is I was watching the news last night and I'm 99% sure I saw that on Tap in the pub in Donegal, was wondering what it was at the time :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Never seen that around my way. Funny thing is I was watching the news last night and I'm 99% sure I saw that on Tap in the pub in Donegal, was wondering what it was at the time :D:D

Do a few from this range, it's all good.

https://craftcentral.ie/collections/kinnegar

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

At least U have pubs open ! Anyway Carryout (2 in Killarney have a great range, Kenmare not as good but they have some Mescan .....its the furthest from Mayo I have seen it.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Any suggestions on Irish beers that are decent? I've had a few, not too many, but couldn't take to them at all, they all left the same dry harsh unpleasant taste.

I usually drink Pales and IPA's. The likes of Punk IPA, Dead Pony, Hazy Jane by Brewdog. Gamma Ray, Neck Oil by Beavertown. Sierra Nevada, Kernel, Brooklyn, Five Points, etc.

The number of good Irish craft brewers can be overwhelming when trying to decide what to buy. Off top of my head all of these brewers would be highly regarded: White Hag, Whiplash, Kinnegar, Eight Degrees, Larkin's, Galway Bay, Lineman, Dot Brew, Hope, Hopfully, Wicklow Wolf, Yellowbelly, OBrother, Blacks, Western Herd, Mescan. The list goes on!

It's trial and error figuring out what you like, personally I've liked everything I've tried from Whiplash, Kinnegar and Hopfully. As someone else mentioned Kinnegar Scraggy Bay probably your best bet for the pale ale style

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

RasTa wrote: »
    www.mash.marketing/ipa

Great article on the whole what is an IPA

Excellent article.
    IT's almost like something I'd have written.
    Every brewer/marketing manager in the world should read this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,676 ✭✭✭✭L1011

O'Briens Lucan had a significant amount of Pointy Shoes this afternoon if anyone is still stuck for some.

L1011 wrote: »
    O'Briens Lucan had a significant amount of Pointy Shoes this afternoon if anyone is still stuck for some.

I got a couple and it’s grand. These things never taste on the same level as the LIMITED EDITION hype though.

Any suggestions on Irish beers that are decent? I've had a few, not too many, but couldn't take to them at all, they all left the same dry harsh unpleasant taste.

I usually drink Pales and IPA's. The likes of Punk IPA, Dead Pony, Hazy Jane by Brewdog. Gamma Ray, Neck Oil by Beavertown. Sierra Nevada, Kernel, Brooklyn, Five Points, etc.

Even most Irish people won’t recommend Irish beers as there’s a stigma about it. British, Belgian, or German. Paddy can’t make beer.

• Advertisement

Even most Irish people won’t recommend Irish beers as there’s a stigma about it. British, Belgian, or German. Paddy can’t make beer.

That's it. I was even coming to that conclusion, but to be fair there is a vast amount of Irish breweries I haven't tried yet so I'm not giving up just yet!

That's it. I was even coming to that conclusion, but to be fair there is a vast amount of Irish breweries I haven't tried yet so I'm not giving up just yet!

I don’t agree with what I said, there are many great Irish breweries but there’s a massive snobbery about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

From the local Polish shop. Very light and tasty. Pint can too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

My local craft off license here in The Hague can’t get enough of Irish Craft beer, they are huge fans of Kinnegar, Whiplash & Galway Bay stuff. Big mark up in the shop for Irish stuff also!!

Shop is run by a Canadian and a Swede and they love Paddy’s beer.

OOnegative wrote: »
    My local craft off license here in The Hague can’t get enough of Irish Craft beer, they are huge fans of Kinnegar, Whiplash & Galway Bay stuff. Big mark up in the shop for Irish stuff also!!

Shop is run by a Canadian and a Swede and they love Paddy’s beer.

I like the kinnegar

Beautiful IPA. Tesco
    Proper Job

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Beautiful IPA. Tesco
    Proper Job

I used to love that one. Must try it again sometime soon. I think they used to have a stronger IPA as well, something like "Big Job" if I remember correctly.

I used to love that one. Must try it again sometime soon. I think they used to have a stronger IPA as well, something like "Big Job" if I remember correctly.
    Correct! Janey mack.. I forgot about that.

I took a trip to Brighton a while back and they had proper job on tap. Heaven...

Five Lamps Pale Ale
    Quite a decent drop. A bit of a palette cleanser after the proper job

• Registered Users Posts: 68,676 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You're not going to find that attitude on here very much

Unintentionally as it is, I buy very very little thats not Irish. If I'm in the shop at the end of the road and I've nothing in the fridge I might grab a mini box of Peroni - the feckers took Rascals out of the fridge - and I'll get the odd interesting import in a proper offo but that's it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

I'll a cheapo so I went to O'Briens to get one each of Molson's, Budweiser and the other beer that's €1 per bottle, saw another beer that was €4 for 4 and got that instead, can't remember the name but it was in a red cardboard pack

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Griffintown Blonde ale by brasseur de Montréal.

A middle of the road micro brew.

L1011 wrote: »
    You're not going to find that attitude on here very much

Unintentionally as it is, I buy very very little thats not Irish. If I'm in the shop at the end of the road and I've nothing in the fridge I might grab a mini box of Peroni - the feckers took Rascals out of the fridge - and I'll get the odd interesting import in a proper offo but that's it.

I had actually forgot all about rascals when picking ones above. Their little cans are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

I like the kinnegar

I wouldn't mind a touch of the Kinnegar, zlongzit don't taste like vinnegar.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I got a couple and it’s grand. These things never taste on the same level as the LIMITED EDITION hype though.

We're just trying to keep the buzz alive until the next release of 200 Fathoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,112 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I stopped into my local offie for a wee look and was delighted to see that Troubles Brewing's classic, Dark Arts is back and at a very modest price of bottles for €10. I didn't turn this bargain down.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,382 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I stopped into my local offie for a wee look and was delighted to see that Troubles Brewing's classic, Dark Arts is back and at a very modest price of bottles for €10. I didn't turn this bargain down.

Speaking of bargains, my local supermarket had Paulaner at 1 euro, as the date is:

"10.20"

I bought thirty bottles.

Goodnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Kinnegar's Lime Gose is spectacular, for me.
    It's a limited edition No.9.
    My 2020 love affair with Kinnegar continues.

Yesterday I picked up 6 different Kinnegar beers (3 for €10). I couldn't believe I managed 6 individual beers that I wanted while still avoiding lager, hazies, and porter (actually must start buying porter again). All old school (ridiculous as it sounds) IPAs and sours.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Vittu

From the local Polish shop. Very light and tasty. Pint can too

My local offi sells loads of the polish/Lithuanian/romanian/russian and chezch beers. 5 for 10 bob is good value I think. Really like eastern eu beers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Kinnegar's Lime Gose is spectacular, for me.
    It's a limited edition No.9.
    My 2020 love affair with Kinnegar continues.

It is very nice indeed. Had mine last night.
    Also had white hags red ipa, very nice winter ipa.
    Also had white hag coconut dark druid. Delicious with a bit of chocolate.

Advertisement