Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,112 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Kinnegar's Lime Gose is spectacular, for me.
    It's a limited edition No.9.
    My 2020 love affair with Kinnegar continues..

Any suggestions on where one can get some Lime Gose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Any suggestions on where one can get some Lime Gose?

https://craftcentral.ie/collections/kinnegar

4 for 12 too. Good mix

More scraggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Even most Irish people won’t recommend Irish beers as there’s a stigma about it. British, Belgian, or German. Paddy can’t make beer.
    I'd say most Irish people would recommend multinational stuff.

I'm only buying non-irish at the moment to try styles not really available from Irish breweries.

Between beer boxes and beer festivals I've got through a lot of breweries. Can't say I've had any shockers. A few styles that I wouldn't be a massive fan of, but much more
    I've been converted to styles that I wasn't a fan of having tried the popular imports!

We've great breweries in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Lidl do a 6% orange pale ale for 1.27 a can, it's not on the same level as clockwork tangerine or modus manderina, but it's delicious and the best value beer on the market today for my money.

• Advertisement

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Lidl do a 6% orange pale ale for 1.27 a can, it's not on the same level as clockwork tangerine or modus manderina, but it's delicious and the best value beer on the market today for my money.

It is if you like orange flavoured beer. Wouldn’t be my cup of tea at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Clockwork Tangerine is awful stuff!!!

It is if you like orange flavoured beer. Wouldn’t be my cup of tea at all.

I agree it's heavy on the synthetic orange, and I'd probably hate it if it was 500ml, but I like it, it's the closest thing to a 6% session beer I've had.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Clockwork Tangerine is awful stuff!!!

Right, outside.......

Right, outside.......

Not a fan of Brewdog stuff, sorry.

• Advertisement

The only 2 beers of theirs I like are clockwork and elvis juice, and they're both the 3rd best version of their type I've tried.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I think that they, like a lot of breweries, transitioned from micro to macro and downgraded their core range for mass production, leaving any flair of quality for their seasonal/special releases.

I think that they, like a lot of breweries, transitioned from micro to macro and downgraded their core range for mass production, leaving any flair of quality for their seasonal/special releases.

I get what you’re saying, they are just not my thing. I’ve tried believe me to like there beer but just can’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I get what you’re saying, they are just not my thing. I’ve tried believe me to like there beer but just can’t.

Ah I get you, I was just stressing that they used to be very good.

*edit* speaking of which, just had a can of Brewdog layer cake. It was nice but average. Like an attempt to recreate last year's mallow mafia, but couldn't pull it off without Amundsen

My favourite Brewdog core range are they alcohol free ones - Nanny State and Punk AF. Although even then, I've been going for Roadworks Early Start more often than those two. But if I was driving on sub 0.5% for the night I'd go Brewdog or Wicklow Wolf. I've enjoyed some of their collaborations though.
    BeerNut wrote: »
    Spoiler: it's excellent. Suitable for the haze-dodgers of this parish too.
    Yes, really enjoyed it. Anti-haze! That was my main new one of the weekend. Long evening so stuck to banker sessions up to then - 12 Acres Make Hay, and Lough Gill Rough Wave.

Did have a couple of Rye Rivers too - McGargles Dec's Brown Ale and Solas Irish Stout. They were grand, but I wouldn't rate either above their Crafty options tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Had a Wicklow Wolf S’mores at last - it’s fantastic, at last something to rival Samuel Smiths Organic Chocolate Stout. Will be buying more of it.

Life and Limb by Sierra Nevada. Didn’t like this at all the first time I had it but found this can of it quite nice. The maple works well in it.

Fourpure - Jazz Age Martini Espresso Stout - this was nice, surprisingly so, lovely smooth coffee taste.

Garage - SkipTown IPA - Same same as many other IPAs.

Siren - Barrel Aged Caribbean Chocolate Cake - sounds much much nicer than it tastes. I found this incredibly bland and boring. It wasn’t that it was “not nice”, it just wasn’t nice enough. I was expecting big and bold but got neither.

Siren - Pompelmocello - a grand grapefruit sour. Nice.

I also had three pints of Yellowbelly Citra Pale Ale on draft that I absolutely loved.

I meant to add, I opened a Lidl Festbeir that I picked up as I hadn't tried a Festbeir before. Tasted of nothing - tipped it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I meant to add, I opened a Lidl Festbeir that I picked up as I hadn't tried a Festbeir before. Tasted of nothing - tipped it away.

Is that the beer that comes with the big Stein?

Is that the beer that comes with the big Stein?
    No, it was single cans. I know I was expecting a lot for 1.47, but it was totally nondescript. Just nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I'd say most Irish people would recommend multinational stuff.

I'm only buying non-irish at the moment to try styles not really available from Irish breweries.

Like Carlsberg, Heineken and the likes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭DilD

Tried my first Scraggy Bay last night, nice flavor from it but have to say I still get that dry harsh aftertaste that lingers...! I would say it would be even nicer on tap

Effects wrote: »
    Like Carlsberg, Heineken and the likes?
    No, like Schlenkerla. I liked the Wicklow Wolf and Galway Bay Rauchbeir specials, but had nothing to compare it too. I'll probably do the same to compare to the Whiplash Grisette, and get a Belgian example. I've no idea whether it stands up, although I suppose it doesn't matter if I like it really. Lineman did a Grisette, but I missed that.

I try to buy Irish, I'd say I'm 95% Irish Craft breweries in my buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Enjoying a few cans of Idle RIPA from Lineman

What a beer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Saw a new brewery (to me) in my off license. Renegade Red ale from Dublin City Brewing co. : Standard enough red ale malty with a tiny bit of sweetness.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Saw a new brewery (to me) in my off license. Renegade Red ale from Dublin City Brewing co.
    The ABVs of DCB's lager and red match those of the Brewmaster core ranges. If they come up with a 5.6% ABV IPA next...

The ABVs of DCB's lager and red match those of the Brewmaster core ranges. If they come up with a 5.6% ABV IPA next...

What a weird coincidence ....:pac:

They do have a patriot pale ale........... Reckon they're rebadging since parnell st got delayed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

The Einseidler Helles is back in Aldi. Lovely example of the style

Would that be the same also of The Holer Pale Ale from The Hole in the Wall pub ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Would that be the same also of The Holer Pale Ale from The Hole in the Wall pub ?
    Looks to be. I think this is what the Brewmaster core range was created to be: rebageable house beers.

Advertisement