Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Hard to put a worth on it, especially when it's a once a year buy. I don't mind paying expensive for the likes of 200 fathoms, kbs, CBs etc when they're infrequently released. I'd always pay it to see if it's nice, as it's my favourite style.

For example I wouldn't pay the 7-8 euro a standard can of northern monk or to ol charge, because in my experience they're hit and miss, can be great or ok. Whereas for the imperial stouts you almost always get a very good beer for the higher price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Effects wrote: »
    How much would you say it was worth?
    I think the last beer I bought that was a bit too expensive was some Danish stout that was €9 for a 330ml bottle. It had a green, screen printed label. Nice beer, but I'd still go for a good Irish one over it. And at the time, the barrel aged Black Boar was still around.

The normal 3 bean stout is amazing but this barrel aged version, as a special treat, is worth it in my opinion. It’s probably the best stout I’ve tasted and it’s a great “once in a while” treat but at €10.50 a pop (or €15 elsewhere) it’s not something that you’d be ever buying regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I just bought two cans of the regular 3 bean stout, and a can of the barrel aged version.
    Tasting the regular one tonight, and then I'll put the other two away in the cellar and have them at Christmas, compare them side by side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Drinking the regular one myself. I know it says three bean, not sure if it's the Tonka (which is meant to be a vanilla type flavour?) But there's a definite cinnamon/christmassy type taste of it. Very sweet too.

I just bought two cans of the regular 3 bean stout, and a can of the barrel aged version.
    Tasting the regular one tonight, and then I'll put the other two away in the cellar and have them at Christmas, compare them side by side.

Sounds like a great idea. Let us know what you think of the normal 3 Bean Stout.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭DilD

Tried a few cans of Sierra Nevada Dankful IPA, very tastey indeed. Only €2.50 a can in Carry Out which is very well priced for a 7.4% IPA, will have to pick some more up as they usually don't stock them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I had Whiplash's Grisette with rose earlier this week. It was very unique, but it was unbalanced (to me) with the rose taking over. Then again, I was absolutely spoiled to have the superb Rozenlambiek last weekend.

Sounds like a great idea. Let us know what you think of the normal 3 Bean Stout.

I really liked it. Very rich in flavour without being too sweet.

I have to head into town this evening, and it's bringing me close to an M&S.

What is the beer selection like in M&S? Is it worth my time heading in? Do they have "own brand", and if so are they worth it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Pen Rua wrote: »
    What is the beer selection like in M&S?
    Pretty good in Jervis; tokenistic in Grafton Street.
    Do they have "own brand", and if so are they worth it?
    They have an extensive range of own-brand beers and ciders. The beers are mostly from larger English ale breweries, and the brewery is usually named on the label, I think. They also have Meantime and Camden cans, which I don't think are sold anywhere else in Ireland.

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    Pretty good in Jervis; tokenistic in Grafton Street.

They have an extensive range of own-brand beers and ciders. The beers are mostly from larger English ale breweries, and the brewery is usually named on the label, I think. They also have Meantime and Camden cans, which I don't think are sold anywhere else in Ireland.

Interesting - I'm down in Cork and it's a fairly small food section in the city so I won't hold out too much hope. May as well pop in if I'm by it this eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I ordered a pizza kit from the Dough Bros in Galway, and it came with White Hag brewed Dough Brew IPA:

https://www.thedoughbros.ie/products/dough-brew-beer-330ml-5-50-each?pr_prod_strat=copurchase&pr_rec_pid=4995016917051&pr_ref_pid=5038254882875&pr_seq=uniform

Not normally a fan of White Hag, but I really enjoyed this IPA. The citrus was present, grapefruity, but not overpowering.

Looking forward to the pizza tonight.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I ordered a pizza kit from the Dough Bros in Galway, and it came with White Hag brewed Dough Brew IPA
    I'm reasonably sure that's the same beer that's sold under their own label as Ninth Wave.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Did anyone attend the Whiplash tasting last night with Mulligans?

I was very impressed with it. The beers were obviously very good but the most impressive part was the presentation and virtual tour of the brewery. I certainly learnt a lot from watching it anyway.

Four beers tasted were Honest Promise, Jupiter, Water Jump, Haunt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Had to go to dundrum for a mri earlier so ordered a growler of O'Brothers Bat Country for collection from Brickyard, looking forward to this.

Just had a White Hag Chocolate Orange Pastry Stout - really good. Highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Larkin's Rwandan Coffee Rye IPA, absolutely cracking. Lovely hit of coffee, smooth and great flavour throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Larkin's Rwandan Coffee Rye IPA, absolutely cracking. Lovely hit of coffee, smooth and great flavour throughout.

Have this in fridge since last weekend looking forward it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Beanstalk wrote: »
    Have this in fridge since last weekend looking forward it

I don't really fridge any beer, maybe the odd session IPA but it'll be interesting to see if it's as good cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

How much would you say it was worth?
    I think the last beer I bought that was a bit too expensive was some Danish stout that was €9 for a 330ml bottle. It had a green, screen printed label. Nice beer, but I'd still go for a good Irish one over it. And at the time, the barrel aged Black Boar was still around.

I paid €4.50* for the Barrel Aged Rum can(amazing stout) one you want to take your time with, serious flavors.

*Local bar takeout price!!

• Advertisement

Amundsen - Sticky Little Fingers - very nice toffee flavour stout.

3 bean rum barrel stout. Good stout. Not as good as the barrel aged version (which is insanely good) and I’d actually rate the “normal” Lervig 3 bean stout as better than this... but it’s still exceptional.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Currently enjoying a Brű Tutti Frutti. Very pleasantly surprised, crisp, a tad sour and very refreshing. Smells awful, though.

https://www.brubrewery.ie/product/urban-jungle-tutti-frutti-cans/

• Registered Users Posts: 68,676 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've just become only the 4th person to check in on a beer - Dew Drop Brewhouse's Wise Up, a traditonal enough hefeweizen with very disturbing label artwork.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The latest in the 8 Degrees latest series, the Irish Munro Series, is a campfire porter called The Black Road. It's named for a spot near Galtymore at the Limerick/Cork/Tipperary border. 6.5% abv. Beautiful.

I had a growler of Kinnegar's whiskey barrel aged export stout with rye on Thursday. That one was dangerous. 9%, sipped over several hours. Felt it on Friday morning!

And last weekend I got a growler of Black Boar from White Hag. No review needed there. Ye know how good it is.

So many good Irish breweries, so little time.

I had a growler of Kinnegar's whiskey barrel aged export stout with rye on Thursday.

Do they have that in cans/bottles as well?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Do they have that in cans/bottles as well?

Couldn't find anything when I checked Twitter last night, but I do believe they're preparing to release cans of this year's batch of Flying Saucer.

White Hag Galaxy Smash. Bit sweet but nice flavour off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I had Rozenlambiek by Brouwerij Oud Beersel over the weekend, growler. Ooooof. What a beauty of a beer. My word! One of the best I've ever had.

A good lambic is a thing of beauty.

Where'd you get a growler of it?

• Advertisement

A good lambic is a thing of beauty.

Where'd you get a growler of it?

Bierhaus, Cork. It was amazing - wow. Still can't get over it! Mrs Pen Rua didn't like it at all so I had the full 0.5L to myself...

Advertisement