Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I like the lighter sours and like BaZmO* with a bit more fruit / citrus to it. My missus loves them, when we were in Belgium earlier in the year we'd try each other beers and the more I puckered from the sourness and disliked it the more she normally liked it.

Had a Modus Mandarina IPA from Ska Brewing last night. Very refreshing but could have been a bit fruiter for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I love sours, the sourer the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,006 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

What I also love about the current crop of sours is that there's loads of fruit beers that aren't sweet - a thing that previously didn't really exist in my world apart from ode kriek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Really like kettle soured and mash soured beers but not a fan of beers soured in fermentation, specifically the wet dog/hay shed smelling types.

Trouble Brewing's Berliner is lovely and I really like White Hags lemon hopped sour.

As for today, I just picked up 2 bottles each of Sweet Water's IPA and 420 pale ale on the 4 for €10 deal in Tesco.

Really like kettle soured and mash soured beers but not a fan of beers soured in fermentation, specifically the wet dog/hay shed smelling types.

LOL, I love the really horse pissy Lambics

• Advertisement

LOL, I love the really horse pissy Lambics

Brettanomyces can fook right off.

Even in Orval?

Even in Orval?

In new Orval yes, it's fine in old Orval.

In new Orval yes, it's fine in old Orval.

Do you mean fresh/aged or has the recipe changed ?

Do you mean fresh/aged or has the recipe changed ?

Fresh/Aged.

After a certain point the yeast dies and the beer completely changes.

Some of the bars in Belgium will offer the option of new or old.

• Advertisement

Fresh/Aged.

After a certain point the yeast dies and the beer completely changes.

Some of the bars in Belgium will offer the option of new or old.

Having aged Orval for several years, I decided I prefer it really fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Cast Iron

Ha ha. That's entry level sour!

I'm really enjoying the current sour craze!
    I've been harping on about sour beers for a decade now since stumbling across Rodenbach Grand Cru and confusing the hell out of myself.
    I'd probably drink almost exclusively sours if I could and it's nearly possible these days!

Haha indeed! I've never taken to them. I was lucky enough to be at GABF a couple of years back and sours was the new craze but didn't appeal then.
    Remind me of the Eyepopper gum sweets as a kid...poison!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I have started to enjoy lambics more and more.. the shop below me now has a regular stock of Boon Oude Geuze.. I need to move tbh! it will be my ruin.. Have built a nice stock of various lambics in the cupboard over the last few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Just opened a To Ol "Roses Are Brett" - Saison brewed with Raspberries.

Sooo good.

nice spice and the raspeberry isn't overpowering.

Brett shining like a slightly smelly old horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Coalface Black IPA didn't really do it for me last night but Bo Bristle did.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭cjonesy1

Coalface Black IPA didn't really do it for me last night but Bo Bristle did.

Yeah I didn't rate it either. Tried it in the new Brú Bar in Fairview.

Slightly off topic, but that place needs to get its food sorted. It was very poor fare yesterday, should have sent it back.

The kitchen is just open though...so probably not fair to judge them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Had two of the Galway Bay collaboration with the Cigar City Brewing over the weekend.

Had Brigid, the rhubarb sour - very nice 4.25/5

and had the
    Phaethon IPA - fantastic beer. 4.75/5

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tried the Smithwicks Pale over the weekend. Mmm, generic.

If it wasn't so pricey - €6! - it could be decent if it was somewhere which had it in a very limited range. Their new ad campaign trying to suggest they're just like homebrewers isn't really on target though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

This just arrived, serious savings but there was 4 beers missing which I think the courier stole. Should be interesting to get resolved. I used beerhawk

Fllu8Kr.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Green Flash soul style IPA - has a tropical aroma but isn't nearly as sweet as you'd expect. Started to really come to life when it warmed up a bit.
    Alpine Duet IPA, nicest I've had in a while, apart from the latest Born to Die. Nice resin flavour with a bit of steeped fruits and covers the 7% really well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Alpine are great - I visited the brewery shop and pub in August; best hoppy beer selection I encountered on a very beery california trip

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 291 ✭✭Bigbok

Anyone know where I can buy Amstel beer in Ireland for home consumption?Must be the green bottle one not the normal brown bottle one that I see in Ireland

TIA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Crafty brewing company limited edition American style pale wheat ale.......BLOODY LOVELY.!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Born to die is pretty amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

A bottle of Independent's Connemara Black IPA. It's basically a tasty, strong (6%) and hoppy stout. Good stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

just trying a bottle of lidls crafty brewing company american style pale wheat ale and have to admit it is very nice!

So opened a bottle of White Hags Bran & Sceolan and it came out with a bunch of sediment.
    Few weeks before expiry.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Cast Iron wrote: »
    So opened a bottle of White Hags Bran & Sceolan and it came out with a bunch of sediment.
    Few weeks before expiry.

That's Craft Beer for ya! :)

Never seen this much...from a 330 too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

If you think that is bad, I had a 20 y/o bottle of port and the sediment was like sludge

Advertisement