Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Bierhaus, Cork. It was amazing - wow. Still can't get over it! Mrs Pen Rua didn't like it at all so I had the full 0.5L to myself...

I love a beer like that.

There's been a couple of Mikkeller's that I still pine over and of course White Hag and Brewtonic's In Cahoots.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Just had white hags chocolate orange stout.
    It was definitely Terry's chocolate orange in a drink, but I feel it could have had some bitter/roast coffee tones to better play off the sweetness.

Would love to see what others thought of it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I feel it could have had some bitter/roast coffee tones to better play off the sweetness.
    Definitely this. I thought the orange was completely overdone.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Totally agree. It felt like an orange soft drink rather than a stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Totally agree. It felt like an orange soft drink rather than a stout.

Should be popular, so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Having a few bottles of Corona Extra (4.5% ones not the lighter ones) and there ok but coping on what a ****ing rip off they are in pubs. €5 for a 330ml bottle and i got 6 for €10 in the offy

Are the pub bottles bigger ? can't notice any difference myself

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Somewhat of a random question, but I'm sure someone here will have the answer.

What was the pale ale, from an Irish brewery, that had a boar's head on the label? I think it was on a light blue background. I'm going back 6 or 7 years now since I used to be able to get it in my local Mace, but I can't recall the name of the brewery now at all. Google's just giving me White Hag stouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭Ryath

Bo Bristle they're gone a few years now.

https://twitter.com/bobristle?lang=en

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ryath wrote: »
    Bo Bristle they're gone a few years now.

https://twitter.com/bobristle?lang=en

That's the one! Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Just had white hags chocolate orange stout.
    It was definitely Terry's chocolate orange in a drink, but I feel it could have had some bitter/roast coffee tones to better play off the sweetness.

Would love to see what others thought of it.

I loved it. Thought it was excellent. Deffo buy it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Barrier Brewing - Deadly Combination Galaxy and Mosaic - very nice.

Wylam Brewing - I’m not Mary - fantastically tasty, one of the best Imperial IPAs I’ve had. Feckin loved it.

Amundsen - Double Churro Dunker - sweet, sticky stout that tastes similar to a lot of their other stuff... but I still loved it.

Amundsen - Dessert in a can - Chocolate coveted salted toffee popcorn. Surprisingly tasted exactly like you would expect it to taste complete with a slight salty taste. Rich, sweet and full.

Zagovor - Surf in a big city - sour, again really liked this.

Fuerst Wiacek - Blends - half decent but run of the mill IPA.

Amundsen - Dessert in a can. Hazelnut Praline Chocolate Truffles - the nicest ultra sweet stout I’ve had. Gloopy goodness.

Northern Monk Patrons Project 28.01 Rainbow Astro Belt Sour IPA - was blotto at this stage so don’t remember much about it bar it wasn’t great.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Having a few bottles of Corona Extra (4.5% ones not the lighter ones) and there ok but coping on what a ****ing rip off they are in pubs. €5 for a 330ml bottle and i got 6 for €10 in the offy

Are the pub bottles bigger ? can't notice any difference myself
    Pubs gonna pub

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Martin's in Fairview are charging €14 for the Porterhouse Around the Clock Imperial Stout.
    Is that right?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Effects wrote: »
    Martin's in Fairview are charging €14 for the Porterhouse Around the Clock Imperial Stout.
    Is that right?

A 4-pack was €19.95 on the Porterhouse website. Probably a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Kompaan - Pegleg Pete, Charlie Charcoal and Mika Mekanik - all Russian Imperial Stouts.

Kompaan - Blubberdikkejetser#3 Chocolate Banana Pastry Stout.

irish_goat wrote: »
    A 4-pack was €19.95 on the Porterhouse website. Probably a mistake.

I rang them to confirm, and they said that it was correct!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Effects wrote: »
    Is that right?
    And their website says it's a 500ml bottle, which it isn't. Something's gone wrong there. It's €5.95 on the Porterhouse webshop, €5.50 in their bricks-and-mortar Dublin off licence, €5.50 in Bradley's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Had the new Beavertown From the Deep DIPA last night. Quite nice with some huge tropical flavours but a little 'soapy' as some hazy DIPAs tend to be

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

OOnegative wrote: »
    Kompaan - Pegleg Pete, Charlie Charcoal and Mika Mekanik - all Russian Imperial Stouts.

Sounds interesting!
    OOnegative wrote: »
    Kompaan - Blubberdikkejetser#3 Chocolate Banana Pastry Stout.

Not sure about this one though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

adrian522 wrote: »
    Sounds interesting!

Not sure about this one though :o

Gave that one to herself, she loved it!!

Pegleg Pete had to much rum, took over the stout completely. Charcoal Charlie was aged in bourbon barrels, much nicer and not as overpowering. Mika Mekanik was pick of the bunch with a subtle coconut aftertaste to it.

• Advertisement

So it was a mistake in Martin's, and it's at the correct price of €5.99 now. Picked up a few bottles to put away in the cellar with the Christmas stash.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭astraj

Is innis and gunn original available in 660ml bottles anymore. Tesco used to stock but cannot seem to find it anywhere lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

astraj wrote: »
    Is innis and gunn original available in 660ml bottles anymore. Tesco used to stock but cannot seem to find it anywhere lately.

God haven't seen that in a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Have 4 bottles of McGargles Seans Export Stout, it's very nice, a bargain for a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

Is innis and gunn original available in 660ml bottles anymore.

The only place that I have seen that lately has been in Tescos in the north

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Saturday night was Stout Night...
    Wide Street - Monksland, Whiplash - Scaldy Porter (loved the smokey flavours). Both a little different from the usual, and all the better for it.
    Stone Barrell Spectre and Kinnegar Flying Saucer. Again, both quality as expected.
    Rascals Candyman - I wasn't sure if it was gimmick, but really nice.
    Ballykilcavan Clancy's Can #3 Tiramisu. Really nice, up there with the Wicklow Wolf Apex Tiramisu, which I just slightly put above Panda Nero. (Nothing wrong with the Bru, just think the extra abv gives the other two the extra depth).
    Also had another Locavore 2020. It's decent, and it's local (hops within 5km of me), but one to start the night with when up against the rest of what I had!

Basically I'd recommend all of them. One of those weeks I'm actually reluctant to, as I want to restock!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Bus Boy

The Kernel is soon to be available on these shores. As I'm sure most people know, he's a guy from Waterford that lives in London. Had the pleasure of a tour of his Brewery in Bermondsey 5 years ago. If you see the Pale Ale or IPA grab one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Bus Boy wrote: »
    The Kernel is soon to be available on these shores. As I'm sure most people know, he's a guy from Waterford that lives in London. Had the pleasure of a tour of his Brewery in Bermondsey 5 years ago. If you see the Pale Ale or IPA grab one!

https://twitter.com/GrandCruBeers/status/1326183365163307010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Bus Boy

Advertisement