Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I'd regularly buy the stout and brown, as well as the red, but each to their own I guess. I think they're decent for the money.

Kinda tempted given its something other than whiskey or bourbon barrel aged though.

Just styles I can never warm to, especially any beer with a spirit in it. If they had a pick up your own 12 for 20 it would be great though.

They’re most likely all already gone though (the boxes), people would be buying multiples.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

They’re most likely all already gone though (the boxes), people would be buying multiples.

Still a few left on the Ennis Road, if you're passing this side of town.

Still a few left on the Ennis Road, if you're passing this side of town.

I don’t think it’d count as necessary to swing around :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Just styles I can never warm to, especially any beer with a spirit in it. If they had a pick up your own 12 for 20 it would be great though.

I read your post as those were the ones you would drink, not that you wouldn't. Comprehension test fail by me.

Yes, not really excited by barrel aged myself. Too often overpower the beer, but interesting that it's something slightly different with a cognac barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

I'd love if they sold that barrel aged stout separately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,676 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I dunno about the other boxes, but it looks like someone messed up when they were filling the box I just bought. :eek:
    It contains 3 of the special stouts :D

Unfortunately mine is correctly packed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

L1011 wrote: »
    Unfortunately mine is correctly packed.

I'll try one of my tonight and let you know if it's any good. On the downside, I did miss out on a Pale Ale and an IPA!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

I'll try one of my tonight and let you know if it's any good. On the downside, I did miss out on a Pale Ale and an IPA!

What's the ABV of the barrel aged stout?

What's the ABV of the barrel aged stout?

6.5%.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,688 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I couldn't resist trying one of the cognac barrel aged stouts, lovely stuff.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I dunno about the other boxes, but it looks like someone messed up when they were filling the box I just bought. :eek:
    It contains 3 of the special stouts :D

So that means if we're buying one we have to check that nothing has been moved around!?
    Was thinking of playing that game with the white hag box. It has been hit and miss so it would be great to get one 'customised'.
    Last night I had the mexican hot chocolate pastry stout and coconut pastry stout from said box. Both were terrible disappointments. The mexican had way too much vanilla, it was sickly sweet, overbearing and tasted quite synthetic. Same for the coconut but replace vanilla with coconut.

So that means if we're buying one we have to check that nothing has been moved around!?
    Was thinking of playing that game with the white hag box. It has been hit and miss so it would be great to get one 'customised'.

It's a weird one. There was no evidence of tampering. The perforated bits on top were all still connected, and the flap was sellotaped shut. No sign that tape had ever been peeled off before.

I'm not complaining though! As said above, the brandy barrel-aged stout is quite nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

It's a weird one. There was no evidence of tampering. The perforated bits on top were all still connected, and the flap was sellotaped shut. No sign that tape had ever been peeled off before.

I'm not complaining though! As said above, the brandy barrel-aged stout is quite nice.

Ah yeah I was only messing, wasn't accusing or anything. Same thing happened in my wh box, reached for a can of phantom (average at best) and it was actually a second can of bran & sceolan (an absolute belter) so I've been visited by these fairies too.

Ah yeah I was only messing, wasn't accusing or anything. Same thing happened in my wh box, reached for a can of phantom (average at best) and it was actually a second can of bran & sceolan (an absolute belter) so I've been visited by these fairies too.

I put my name down early for the Mother Mac's box here in Limerick. I've no idea what's in it, but the lads have impeccable taste so I'm expecting it to be great. My only problem now is I feel like I missed out on the likes of the White Hag and similar collections. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

I couldn't resist trying one of the cognac barrel aged stouts, lovely stuff.

will these be released separately does anyone know?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Beanstalk wrote: »
    Usually not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

I put my name down early for the Mother Mac's box here in Limerick. I've no idea what's in it, but the lads have impeccable taste so I'm expecting it to be great. My only problem now is I feel like I missed out on the likes of the White Hag and similar collections. :P

I picked mine up yesterday, it's an absolute cracker. The Christmas Eve beer looks top notch.

Missed out on that one. Was the only one I really wanted.

Missed out on that one. Was the only one I really wanted.

They could have sold a ball more of the boxes if they had them.

Same as their growlers, I think they like to keep people wanting. Adds to the whole aura of the place more.

• Advertisement

Same as their growlers, I think they like to keep people wanting. Adds to the whole aura of the place more.

Absolutely,the growlers have helped keep a lot of people happy and involved with the place, passed there about 2 today and they were putting up Christmas decorations outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Aldi has the 12 bears of Christmas beer box this week. Is it any decent?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Poorside wrote: »
    I picked mine up yesterday, it's an absolute cracker. The Christmas Eve beer looks top notch.

I have one sitting in the hall at home unopened as of yet. Had to resist temptation over the weekend not to open it for a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Collected mine over the weekend and it took every ounce of willpower not to sample it! The lads also mentioned that they might be preparing some smaller boxes over the next few weeks - could be good for presents, etc. Said to keep an eye on social media for updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,688 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Beanstalk wrote: »

Supply of BA stouts is usually quite limited - I'd expect this to be the limiting factor in the number of boxes they can issue.

Hopefully the screwup referred to earlier doesn't mean there's two very disappointed people with a box with no BA stout :(

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Aldi has the 12 bears of Christmas beer box this week. Is it any decent?

I don't think the Brown Bear beers are up to much, unfortunately.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I don't think the Brown Bear beers are up to much, unfortunately.
    Couldn't find the listing. A bit disappointing if it's just Station Works though (their O'Sheas are ok-ish). They have had Lough Gill (Native and Rough Wave I thought are/ were decent VFM) and Brehon Brewhouse in the past.

A bit disappointing if it's just Station Works though (their O'Sheas are ok-ish).
    O'Shea's is by Carlow Brewing. The Brown Bear ones have improved hugely since they were first released, but you still only get what you pay for.

BeerNut wrote: »
    O'Shea's is by Carlow Brewing. The Brown Bear ones have improved hugely since they were first released, but you still only get what you pay for.
    I meant to say O'Hara's actually as I was aware. The only one of their own brands I buy these days is the Roadworks Early Start. I have a couple of the Brewdog rip off's, and ALD IPA, but I've been putting off trying them to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mccard

I meant to say O'Hara's actually as I was aware. The only one of their own brands I buy these days is the Roadworks Early Start. I have a couple of the Brewdog rip off's, and ALD IPA, but I've been putting off trying them to be honest!

They are bang average.

• Advertisement

ALD IPA isn't one of their own brands, and it's pretty good too. Anti-Establishment and Memphis Blvd are both awful, I thought.

Advertisement