Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Managed to get fatal Deviation on draught in Bonobo last night. Still haven't seen it in my local off licences though. Fear I may have missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Effects wrote: »
    Managed to get fatal Deviation on draught in Bonobo last night. Still haven't seen it in my local off licences though. Fear I may have missed it.

What you think of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Jaysus I love Big Bunny, for me it's the best Irish beer out there, haven't had the Double bunny yet, but I will be having it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭interlocked

About two years one of my locals ordered about 6 kegs of Big Bunny and they couldn't shift it, so myself and a few others manfully stepped up to the plate to help them out! We had some great nights, ended up speaking in tongues a few times though. It got even better on a Wednesday night when there was a 10% discount for local barmen, I don't think anyone made school the next day, so to speak. Think a pint was around €4.50, Great beer.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Had a Locavore 2020 stout from Wicklow Wolf to numb the pain of the first half of Man United and West Ham.

Went for a Mad Mex to celebrate the second half. :cool: Loads of chilli on the first sip out of the can, but much smoother after pouring it into a glass. Great day all round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

craftcentral.ie have it now too.

Gone just as quick! Everywhere has sold out so I decided to go back to molloys and get another bottle. Still a few there.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,940 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Metalman and Dungarvan were both trailblazers in Irish beer... it’s a real pity that both of them seem to have stagnated.

One of the best beers I've ever had was Metalman Sgt. Pepper Saison. It was a special about 18 months ago and doesn't seem to have come back :(

I also arrived in Waterford on holiday the day after the Metalman bar closed...

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

One of the best beers I've ever had was Metalman Sgt. Pepper Saison. It was a special about 18 months ago and doesn't seem to have come back :(

I also arrived in Waterford on holiday the day after the Metalman bar closed...

MM Pale Ale in cask is a thing of Beauty!

OOnegative wrote: »
    What you think of it?

I loved it. Great one to have on draught for my first time in a pub since Feb.

Also managed to pick up another bottle of 200 Fathoms this afternoon.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Went for a Mad Mex to celebrate the second half. :cool:

And after all that, today's door of the advent calendar revealed another Mad Mex! Good thing I know I like it.

Having a small bottle of the barrel aged O'Hara's at the moment. Gotta love December for decadent stouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Larkin's, Dog Days - great session IPA. Light, low ABV but still well made and tasty.

Lacada, Blue Pool - a solid NEIPA imo. Bitter.

Brehon Brewhouse, Make Your Own Luck - forgettable, thin but not purely bad. The new branding and cans are very well done.

Rye River Brewing, Brunch - how was this 9%?! Dangerous. The coffee was lost for me, but a great porter.

Collective Arts Brewing, Guava Gose - like one of those tropical Berocca tablets with salt poured in. Wouldn't rush to get it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

A few new ones over the weekend, in amongst old reliables...
    Friday...
    Lough Gill - Speckled Stone IPA
    Trouble Brewing - Fresh Prince of Kildare
    Enjoyed both, as I'm still embracing the haze!

Saturday...
    Larkins Gingerbread Brown Ale - It was a top class Brown, but really didn't get much of ginger or gingerbread vibe off it.
    O'Brother One Beating Heart Porter - Really nice.
    Both were really nice examples, without being nice enough for me to be rushing out to get more while they're available. Especially at a premium over some of the other options, and particularly with so many other porters/ stouts limited runs I've yet to be sample.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Larkins Gingerbread Brown Ale - It was a top class Brown, but really didn't get much of ginger or gingerbread vibe off it.
    Heh. I thought pretty much the opposite: all ginger and none of the coffee or caramel I like in brown ales.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

Poorside wrote: »
    Jaysus I love Big Bunny, for me it's the best Irish beer out there, haven't had the Double bunny yet, but I will be having it soon.

Great beer and a real go to. 4 for 10 in O'Briens at the moment. So is Wrasslers, between the two of them, you can't go wrong.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Heh. I thought pretty much the opposite: all ginger and none of the coffee or caramel I like in brown ales.
    Hints of cinnamon is about as much as I got, which is a step up from my usual tasting notes of "nice" and "I like that" in fairness! But yes probably not that deep a brown flavour, but I still enjoyed it. After some of the dessert stouts I've had over the last few weeks, I guess I was expecting it to come out swinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

BeerNut wrote: »
    Same as. Found it quite sweet with a heft of ginger, but the dried ginger spice of gingerbread (like it says on the tin), rather than the fresh ginger hit of a ginger ale. Nice as a once-off, but it reminded me that I really like a simpler brown ale.

May try and pick up another one, and give it another go!

Seven Virtues was behind the magic door in the Mother Mac's calendar today, a nice drop, Belgian style 7.5%, nice crisp and flavorful.

Really looking forward to tomorrows bottle, seriously considering skipping it and keeping it for Christmas day.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Gwanoman

Living in Munich and did the blind test with my mates last Friday night.

We all agreed that the 29 cents Turmbrau Pils was the best of all in the shop.

Couldn't believe it. Bought a crate.

Delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Gwanoman wrote: »
    Living in Munich and did the blind test with my mates last Friday night.

We all agreed that the 29 cents Turmbrau Pils was the best of all in the shop.

Couldn't believe it. Bought a crate.

Delicious

Gas you say that. I love milling through the cheap cornershop German pilsners when I'm over that way.

Earlier in the summer Lidl were stocking Oettinger Pils. Best mediocre pils I've had in a long time. Can't bate it for 5.99 for a 6pk. Can't get over how big they are for a brewery I have never come across!

It was a nice change from bankrupting myself buying Flensburger and Weisenoher when I'm in Martin's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Had some Larkin's over the weekend. Got two cans each of their IPA, strata Single Hop Pale Ale and Hustler pale ale. The IPA is one of my go to drinks. Really enjoy it.

So Guinness in the local on Friday was the priority the weekend past and as such I kinda fell behind on my Advent Calendar. Some lovely ones have popped up though.

Rather than spam the thread here's the Day 5-8 collective:

535580.jpeg

Day 5: Verdant Brewing Citra DIPA (8%)

Day 6: Mikkeller Frederiksdal Cherry Berliner (5%)

Day 7: Hop Hooligans Shock Therapy IPA Version 27 (Strata, Cashmere, Nelson Sauvin) (6.5%)

Day 8: Mikkeller Brewing San Diego 'Deep Pool Sea' Gose-style Ale w/ Passion Fruit, Raspberry and Sea Salt (4.7%)

---

Very excited by that Gose. Ticking the boxes yet again Mikkeller you beautiful bastárd.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Day 5: Verdant Brewing Citra DIPA (8%)

Day 6: Mikkeller Frederiksdal Cherry Berliner (5%)

Day 7: Hop Hooligans Shock Therapy IPA Version 27 (Strata, Cashmere, Nelson Sauvin) (6.5%)

Day 8: Mikkeller Brewing San Diego 'Deep Pool Sea' Gose-style Ale w/ Passion Fruit, Raspberry and Sea Salt (4.7%)

---

Very excited by that Gose. Ticking the boxes yet again Mikkeller you beautiful bastárd.

That is an unreal advent calendar so far, will definitely be looking at getting one next year!

Day 8 of the Mother Mac's calendar was one I was going to hold back, delighted I didn't because now I know to buy an absolute load of it, Treaty City Barrel aged red ale, stunning beer. Has hints of Innis and Gunn and Kentucky Bourbon red ale,lovely hint of whiskey that's actually very mellow, best by far from this calendar.

That is an unreal advent calendar so far, will definitely be looking at getting one next year!

Honestly, I can't get over how the quality has kept up and we're only a third of the way through.

I'll definitely get it myself again next year and grab a couple as presents.

Well done Mrs BonnieSituation on making a call on that one.

Forgot I picked up a few random beers last week in Martin's.

Having this now before I dip into the Advent treats:

535588.jpeg

It's very nice. Lovely sweety maltiness. Worth picking up if you like a sweeter porter or stout.

Poorside wrote: »
    Day 8 of the Mother Mac's calendar was one I was going to hold back, delighted I didn't because now I know to buy an absolute load of it.

Who else is stocking it? I have one in the Advent box, but it sounds like I'll be needing another!

Who else is stocking it? I have one in the Advent box, but it sounds like I'll be needing another!

I messaged then to find out, doesn't look like theres too many around, Fine Wines on Roches street seem to be the best bet, I'll be in there early tomorrow.

Maybe have a few on the go for the Siege collections too. Might have to queue after all!

• Advertisement

Martins have a good bit of 200 Fathoms in stock. Just in case people are looking for it.
    It's not out on the shop floor, so you need to ask for it. They have it on their online shop as well.

Advertisement