Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Day 4 is upon us...

535149.jpeg

Day 4: Mikkeller 3Floyds Warpig Collab Ginger Bells IPA (6.6%)

Finally got around to having this tonight. Can't say that I was enamoured by it from a personal POV, but I can say that it was technically good, if that makes sense. I'm just not a big ginger fan unless it's Jamaica Ginger Cake or Ginger Ale.

The other 3Floyds collab, "Christmas Cruncher" was lovely, especially for a DIPA, so it was all down to the ginger and not the breweries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Finally got 2 bottles of the barrel aged Leann Follain. It's nice but I wasn't blown away. What it really highlights is how good the regular Leann Follain is. Will keep the other bottle for Christmas or might age it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Stone Barrell Spectre porter, I've nearly had my fill of stouts and when I opened the box this morning I actually put it back instead of in the fridge, that was probably a good decision, nice porter and if it was colder the flavours might not have been as good, bit of dark chocolate at the start, finishes with a touch of coconut.
    Would definitely like to try this on draught.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Finding it impossible to get 200 Fathoms this year. Tried a few local off licences and they’re all sold out. Generally by people coming in and buying up loads. :(

Bit annoying as I’ve always managed to get a bottle since it’s first release.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭VW 1

My Galway bay box arrived today with the 2 special editions plus one normal 200 fathoms, but not the extra two regular bottles. Logged the problem with DPD but haven't heard anything back yet.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Finding it impossible to get 200 Fathoms this year. Tried a few local off licences and they’re all sold out. Generally by people coming in and buying up loads. :(

Where are you based? I ordered two the other night, forgetting that I had ordered the box from Galway bay directly which means I should have 5 if my issue in the post above is resolved. Happy to let you take one or two off me at cost price if you cant source and if you're able to pick up in Dublin 11!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Bradley’s was sold out this evening after posting it only last night. Mad! Even if the the box set is a bit OTT, glad I should have x2 bottles on the way...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I could spare one if you find yourself in the Limerick area any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

You missed the post from a few days ago. Martin's in Fairview had a load of it on Tuesday. They won't sell large quantities to anyone, you need to ask for it in the shop, or order when they put it online, but they don't sell it all online at the same time.

VW 1 wrote: »
    Where are you based? I ordered two the other night, forgetting that I had ordered the box from Galway bay directly which means I should have 5 if my issue in the post above is resolved. Happy to let you take one or two off me at cost price if you cant source and if you're able to pick up in Dublin 11!

Cheers!

The hype around it this year is mad. Previous years you could get bottles of it months after the release. Just shows the growth of Craft beer I suppose.

• Advertisement

I could spare one if you find yourself in the Limerick area any time soon.

Thanks. Limerick is a bit of a drive for me!!

Effects wrote: »
    You missed the post from a few days ago. Martin's in Fairview had a load of it on Tuesday. They won't sell large quantities to anyone, you need to ask for it in the shop, or order when they put it online, but they don't sell it all online at the same time.

Cheers. I’ll give them a bell tomorrow and she do they have any left.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Cheers!

The hype around it this year is mad. Previous years you could get bottles of it months after the release. Just shows the growth of Craft beer I suppose.

I managed to get a couple in Molloy's, a few days apart, as they were only giving out one per customer. Then I asked in Martins this week, and he gave me two bottles from out the back.
    I'd already picked up a can of the barrel aged Narwhal, so when I got home I drank a 200 fathoms and the Narwhal to compare. I much preferred the 200, but the Narwhal was a favourite of mine when it came out this year and I'd drank a lot of it.

My Galway bay box arrived today with the 2 special editions plus one normal 200 fathoms, but not the extra two regular bottles. Logged the problem with DPD but haven't heard anything back yet.

Mine arrived today. Impressive package really. Wish I could have gotten more for presents. Dead handy.

535792.jpeg

Your post has confused me wasn't it a box set of 3 (2018 * 2 AND 2020 * 1 + A GLASS) and then a separate 2020*1.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭toffeeshel

Thanks. Limerick is a bit of a drive for me!!

Molloys in Francis St got a case in today

Mine arrived today. Impressive package really. Wish I could have gotten more for presents. Dead handy.

Your post has confused me wasn't it a box set of 3 (2018 * 2 AND 2020 * 1 + A GLASS) and then a separate 2020*1.

I ordered two lots, the 70 euro one for me, and a 50 one for a mate who couldn't get online. The two boxes that arrived had 2*2018, 1*2020 and a glass. I should have gotten an extra 2*2020 as per the confirmation email.

Need to ascertain whether the extra 2 bottles were misplaced by the courier company, or whether Galway bay didn't send them.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I ordered two lots, the 70 euro one for me, and a 50 one for a mate who couldn't get online. The two boxes that arrived had 2*2018, 1*2020 and a glass. I should have gotten an extra 2*2020 as per the confirmation email.

Need to ascertain whether the extra 2 bottles were misplaced by the courier company, or whether Galway bay didn't send them.

That's the same as what I ordered, I got the two extra but nothing else. Check with DPD first, they were able to tell me exactly what they received from GBB, which as it happens was just that box. Still waiting for GBB to get back to me after I contacted them.

Ah I see. You had an extra box hence two extra bottles.

Now that I have them and given their cost, I'll have to be bloody pretty ready and worthy to drink them when the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Got a bottle of 200 Fathoms in O'Briens in Galway, the last one I think. Hopefully they just make a buttload of it next year.

Zaph wrote: »
    That's the same as what I ordered, I got the two extra but nothing else. Check with DPD first, they were able to tell me exactly what they received from GBB, which as it happens was just that box. Still waiting for GBB to get back to me after I contacted them.

Looking at their social media it looks like the gift set boxes might have been sent as one job lot and possibly any extra bottles will ship separately. Makes sense from a logistics pov.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I haven't been there in weeks (so can't say they have any), but Sweeneys in Marino are usually good for finding specials a little later than they run out elsewhere - was mainly a wine shop for years so the bulk of its trade is still wine and deli but the beer selection is extensive and they get all the Irish specials.

Looking at their social media it looks like the gift set boxes might have been sent as one job lot and possibly any extra bottles will ship separately. Makes sense from a logistics pov.

My boxset just came, with a separate parcel containing the single bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 verbat

My box arrived today but no separate parcel containing the extra single bottle.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

A bit bizarre that you get free postage for the extra bottle but then they send it out separately so requiring 2 deliveries

Agreed, it seemed an odd logistic decision but there must be a reason. The single bottle came in a huge box (looks like it's normally used for 12 packs of cans) and was loaded with the "straw" that's in the box sets. It may not have made sense to get boxes for the boxset, then boxes for the boxset & bottle option etc.

toffeeshel wrote: »
    Molloys in Francis St got a case in today

Thanks for this. Rang them earlier today and asked them to reserve some for me which they kindly did. Just picked it up now. Christmas has been saved!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

adrian522 wrote: »
    A bit bizarre that you get free postage for the extra bottle but then they send it out separately so requiring 2 deliveries

Mine both arrived in one delivery (2 parcels) similar to Pen Rua above. I'd imagine any other delivery arrangement is more a by-product of the crazy demand and/or huge strain on delivery companies at the moment rather than any planned logistical strategy on the part of GBB.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Finally having the Western Herd (Kilmaley, county Clare) home brew of the year 2020, a saison designed by Niall Clinton in Drogheda. Got it in the Mother Mac's box a few days ago. It's a good one. Reminds me a lot of the Black Donkey saison.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,940 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Finally got 2 bottles of the barrel aged Leann Follain. It's nice but I wasn't blown away. What it really highlights is how good the regular Leann Follain is. Will keep the other bottle for Christmas or might age it.

It's been a few years since I last got hold of a LF BA, and it was very good, but I actually think I prefer the cognac barrel aged stout in the Lidl Crafty Brewing boxes...!

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,940 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Was in Aldi earlier for something else so thought I'd brave the swinging doors of shame :p and try the Roadworks IPA

HELLOOO? TASTE? WHERE ARE YOU?

The Budweiser of IPAs.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Advertisement