Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Was in Aldi earlier for something else so thought I'd brave the swinging doors of shame :p and try the Roadworks IPA

HELLOOO? TASTE? WHERE ARE YOU?

The Budweiser of IPAs.

Is that the one in the reddish labelling? It was decent last time I tried it. Aldi's craft beer is pretty poor. A couple of the new O'Shea's are nice but that's it really. The Lough Gill ones were nice too but I think that was a limited supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

From the Mother Mac's calendar, Funky Friday, a Brett from Wide street brewing, very easy to drink and would happily drink a few of an evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Helmet

Finally having the Western Herd (Kilmaley, county Clare) home brew of the year 2020, a saison designed by Niall Clinton in Drogheda. Got it in the Mother Mac's box a few days ago. It's a good one. Reminds me a lot of the Black Donkey saison.

I'm slightly biased because I know Niall, but I reckon Western Herd did a good job on what was a cracking homebrewed saison!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,940 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The Roadworks West Coast IPA is very little better :(

Aldi need to get their act together. Poor offering overall. The O'Shea's stuff is decent in general but there's only one with an above-macro ABV, I don't want to pay close to twice the price of macro swill for something with the same ABV and not a whole lot more taste.

Lidl showing them how it's done with the Craft Brewing Company, I got some of the boxes - even the styles I don't normally like like red ale and brown ale are tasty and well executed. Only thing it's missing is a stout ~6% (as well as the cognac barrel aged 6.5% one.)

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Helmet wrote: »
    I'm slightly biased because I know Niall, but I reckon Western Herd did a good job on what was a cracking homebrewed saison!

Tell him he's got a fan in me anyway!

I followed it up with the Mescan spiced tripel "Carnal Knowledge" and a "Black Ball" metric stout from 8 Degrees. Tonight was a good night.

Hoping to spend tomorrow night with a bottle of the 1690 Seige extra strong stout from Treaty City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Poorside wrote: »
    From the Mother Mac's calendar, Funky Friday, a Brett from Wide street brewing, very easy to drink and would happily drink a few of an evening.
    The Mother Macs calender really is a thing of beauty! Great selection thus far

The Mother Macs calender really is a thing of beauty! Great selection thus far

It really is, I've enjoyed everyone of them to some extent, the Treaty city was an absolute gem though. That could easily become their annual special.

It really is, I've enjoyed everyone of them to some extent, the Treaty city was an absolute gem though. That could easily become their annual special.
    Oh that was special alright.
    I look forward to the day when the lads are able to open again and we can be sampling all these beers in their bar, rather than sitting at home on the couch! Bring on the vaccine

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Anything to be said for a Limerick City Boards Beers when things get back to normal?

Anything to be said for a Limerick City Boards Beers when things get back to normal?

Count me right in.

• Advertisement

Having a Blacks Worlds End. Lovely.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Aldi need to get their act together.
    Spaten and Rheinbacher: their act is fully together.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BeerNut wrote: »

Recently, I wanted a red or brown beer for a stew. I really wasn't fussy. Smithwick's or a Dunkleweiss would have done but I couldn't find a single brown or red beer in Aldi. Awful selection of beers.
    Great gin, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Only recently tried Rheinbacher. What an excellent example of a Pilsner. Perfect go to fridge beer.

If anyone wants more of the Treaty barrel aged, they have gift packs of 2 bottles and a glass in O briens by the parkway, €19. I picked up 2.

Big time.

If anyone wants more of the Treaty barrel aged, they have gift packs of 2 bottles and a glass in O briens by the parkway, €19. I picked up 2.

Brilliant, thanks for the heads up. Christmas present for myself - sorted!

My local lidl has plenty of the crafty brewing boxes back in stock. Seems to be 2 versions, 1 with the limited edition bottle and the other with just the regular selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Did an online party thing through work last night. They sendt out a goody pack which included some rascals IPA. Very enjoyable.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Did an online party thing through work last night. They sendt out a goody pack which included some rascals IPA. Very enjoyable.

Did the same last week with work and we got Wicklow Wolf. Forgot how nice their core range is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Did the same last week with work and we got Wicklow Wolf. Forgot how nice their core range is.

I’ve enjoyed their crazy stouts, so finally picked up all of their core range save for the session IPA (tbh no idea why I left it behind!) and the GF lager (had it before under the impression is was a different beer. I was told they changed the style but kept the name or something)

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Wide street house saison. Ordered a load of cans online to keep tipping over. Refreshing and very drinkable.
    Saison style in my head since I came across a few cans of western herds home brew winner mentioned earlier which was also lovely.

Pen Rua wrote: »
    I’ve enjoyed their crazy stouts, so finally picked up all of their core range save for the session IPA (tbh no idea why I left it behind!) and the GF lager (had it before under the impression is was a different beer. I was told they changed the style but kept the name or something)

Yep. Exactly the same

Otterbank, so it begins, a Saison, very very good, aged in pinot noir and Chardonnay barrels and it really comes across, dry finish to it. 8.2% and a lovely sipping beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Lidl cognac aged stout was a gusher for me - just to be aware for anyone else who has some unopened.

L1011 wrote: »
    The Lidl cognac aged stout was a gusher for me - just to be aware for anyone else who has some unopened.

Aye, mine opened grand but foamed up rapidly in the glass!

I got the second last barrel aged red ale from Treaty City this morning. It's lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Don't forget the delicious Einsiedler Helles!

200 Fathoms 2020 is stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

200 Fathoms 2020 is stunning.

The box is sitting on the floor taunting me. I am looking forward to that now in the new year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭VW 1

Also have one open. Get into it :D savage beer

Advertisement