Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

200 Fathoms 2020 is stunning.

Had a 2016 earlier. Lost some edge but still good.

I should get my box with 2020 before Christmas (don't live at address it was delivered to anymore). So might save it for my Christmas day dessert beer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

What day is that in the calendar?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Poorside wrote: »
    What day is that in the calendar?

I'd be utterly shocked if that was included in the calendar! I got the set from GBB, but also managed to pick up 1 bottle from Fine Wines (Catherine/Roche's Street) and 2 bottles from O'Brien's.

I still have 2016, 2017 and 2018 bottles at home so I'll age one or two of these for a long while too.

I'd be utterly shocked if that was included in the calendar! I got the set from GBB, but also managed to pick up 1 bottle from Fine Wines (Catherine/Roche's Street) and 2 bottles from O'Brien's.

I still have 2016, 2017 and 2018 bottles at home so I'll age one or two of these for a long while too.

Its not, I've looked.

Actually, didn't see it at all and was in both places today, should have asked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Don't know if you saw this tweet from GBB recently. I think I drank the last of my 2016, but I know there's some 2017 lurking around somewhere. Must crack it open soon.

https://twitter.com/galwaybeer/status/1334821822743896068

Blacks of Kinsale, World's end, at room temperature, some beer.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Zaph wrote: »
    Don't know if you saw this tweet from GBB recently. I think I drank the last of my 2016, but I know there's some 2017 lurking around somewhere. Must crack it open soon.

Thanks for that! I hadn't seen it. Might have one tonight if Limerick get the result in the hurling. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Got a growler of Obrother's new Deep Love IPA. Very very nice, been quite impressed with nearly all the limited edition stuff they've put out this year.

Thanks for that! I hadn't seen it. Might have one tonight if Limerick get the result in the hurling. :)

Hon, Limerick! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Agree 100%. Cracked a bottle of it Sunday night. The warmer it got, the nicer it got.

Seen it in Tyrrellstown Carry Out yesterday on the shelf. 2 bottles, not sure if they had any more in the back.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Agree 100%. Cracked a bottle of it Sunday night. The warmer it got, the nicer it got.

Still no sign of my single bottle arriving.

Do people recommend drinking at room temperature or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I drink it at about 12-14 degrees myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

For those working through the Mother Macs advent calender, I was pleasantly surprised by todays beer:
    Dot Brew - Barrel Aged Blend
    A bit different but really had a taste of more! :pac:

adrian522 wrote: »
    Still no sign of my single bottle arriving.

Do people recommend drinking at room temperature or what?

I wouldn't be an expert but I took mine out of the fridge about an hour before opening it. I sipped it then over about 2 hours.
    In hindsight I'd say 90 mins out of the fridge would have been better.

For those working through the Mother Macs advent calender, I was pleasantly surprised by todays beer:

I've been looking forward to today's one for ages.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

That's possibly my favourite beer of this year. The concept is a bit mental, but it works really well.

I popped mine into the fridge. I'll try it over the weekend. That abv is dangerous on a school night :)

In passing, I have to say the beer box has been of extremely high quality so far. I'd guess that a lot of thought went into the selection of each beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I popped mine into the fridge. I'll try it over the weekend. That abv is dangerous on a school night :)

In passing, I have to say the beer box has been of extremely high quality so far. I'd guess that a lot of thought went into the selection of each beer.

Agree completely. If I was buying my own beer, I'd tend to go more for IPAs than stouts, but I've been converted by the quality of the stouts in the MM box, they really hit the nail on the head.

• Advertisement

Agree completely. If I was buying my own beer, I'd tend to go more for IPAs than stouts, but I've been converted by the quality of the stouts in the MM box, they really hit the nail on the head.

They really have, wouldn't have been a big craft stout drinker, that's all changed.

Tonight's offering, Double Bunny from Kinnegar is unreal, juicy juicy and a bit juicy.

Poorside wrote: »
    Tonight's offering, Double Bunny from Kinnegar is unreal, juicy juicy and a bit juicy.

Just cracked this open. Delighted it turned up in the box because I hadn't seen it in the shops! Reminds me of why I enjoy double IPAs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

O'Hara's Hop Adventure Strata Edition, quite dry and a bit thin in body but smells lovely with nice tropical flavours. Would try this again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

A bottle of Brooklyn brewery Black chocolate stout. With abv, price and availability in mind, I think this is simply the best stout in the world.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

A bottle of Brooklyn brewery Black chocolate stout. With abv, price and availability in mind, I think this is simply the best stout in the world.
    Once cleared out an off licence that had accidentally priced it at €2.50. It is sadly no longer in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

BeerNut wrote: »
    Once cleared out an off licence that had accidentally priced it at €2.50. It is sadly no longer in business.

I did something similar years ago. I had asked the staff and we told that it wasn't selling so they reduced the price.

This year I cleared my local o briens out because they were forced to end their loyalty scheme so i splurged all my points on the above. Seemed like the best value.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

That was me back in 2012/13 with Brooklyn Lager. Drink Store couldn't keep it on the shelf. God that was lovely stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Is there a difference between the 500ml bottles of Smithwicks and the 568ml bottles?

I'm partial to a pint bottle of Smithwicks or McArdles if i'm taking it easy as they're low abv, but as you can get the pint bottles in off sales why do they sell them in the 2 different sizes?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Wine place in Goatstown?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Is there a difference between the 500ml bottles of Smithwicks and the 568ml bottles?

I'm partial to a pint bottle of Smithwicks or McArdles if i'm taking it easy as they're low abv, but as you can get the pint bottles in off sales why do they sell them in the 2 different sizes?

Pint bottles are returnable so tend to be aimed at pubs, but off licences can buy them as well.

Advertisement