Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

irish_goat wrote: »
    Wine place in Goatstown?
    Hollands of Bray, RIP.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

BeerNut wrote: »
    Hollands of Bray, RIP.

Ah yeah. I had a similar thing then were an offy had priced the Brooklyn Black at the same price as their Porterhouse bottles. Felt like I was robbing them when I left.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Felt like I was robbing them when I left.

Actual footage of you drinking your spoils......
    KnobbyGranularLacewing-max-1mb.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

BeerNut wrote: »
    Once cleared out an off licence that had accidentally priced it at €2.50. It is sadly no longer in business.

I've had one of these in the fridge for about a year now. this Christmas will be a good as any time to hit it i spose

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

Just got my white hag santa's box. They clearly ran out of half of the beers (especially the more interesting ones like the egg nog one), switched them out for their normal beers and didn't bother telling me. Fairly bad form, won't be ordering from them again. For the price it just wasn't worth it.

Any other Irish breweries worth trying instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

arodabomb wrote: »
    Just got my white hag santa's box. They clearly ran out of half of the beers (especially the more interesting ones like the egg nog one), switched them out for their normal beers and didn't bother telling me. Fairly bad form, won't be ordering from them again. For the price it just wasn't worth it.

White hag are hugely over rated , very good at marketing though

Kinnegar stand alone at the top for me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Still struggle with White Hag (and metalman) being 330ml most of the time. The beers are nice, but reduces their vfm.

There's not many Irish Breweries making bad beer in my far from expert opinion. Kinnegar have a nice balance between a strong core range and specials though.

Four Provinces another one. I love all of their beers but always avoid buying because of the small cans.

Scraggy would be my favourite beer overall (mainly for draught availability) but there’s definitely a bit of a cult thing about Kinnegar. I don’t see anything standing out over most other Irish breweries across the range but they always get the best press and word of mouth. They’re very good, just not alone in that.

Scraggy would be my favourite beer overall (mainly for draught availability) but there’s definitely a bit of a cult thing about Kinnegar. I don’t see anything standing out over most other Irish breweries across the range but they always get the best press and word of mouth. They’re very good, just not alone in that.

I think it's down to a mix of them having some of the top beers in the respective styles i.e. Scraggy Bay and Rustbucket, Big Bunny, but also aside from that, all their others beer are generally decent. You're very unlikely, imo, to get a dud beer from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I think it's down to a mix of them having some of the top beers in the respective styles i.e. Scraggy Bay and Rustbucket, Big Bunny, but also aside from that, all their others beer are generally decent. You're very unlikely, imo, to get a dud beer from them.

And they describe their styles properly on their labels - a big plus for me.

And they describe their styles properly on their labels - a big plus for me.

They've also never made a lactose beer. That deserves commendation.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

DOT Brew. Throw Away Play. Described as a New England DIPA. It's almost like the first time experiencing Of Foam And Fury when that was new. A beautiful beer!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

OBriens in Limerick have a few Two Hundred Fathoms left in stock of anyone's still looking for a bottle or two of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

DOT Brew. Throw Away Play. Described as a New England DIPA. It's almost like the first time experiencing Of Foam And Fury when that was new. A beautiful beer!

Had it from a can a few times in the last while. Number 21 limerick had it in. Its really good. Nice bang off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

arodabomb wrote: »

That's appalling.

But you haven't missed much, the last few specials have been garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

That's appalling.

But you haven't missed much, the last few specials have been garbage.

In the last year they seem to be moving into the realm of quantity over quality. Most if what I've drank of theirs this year has been fine but nothing special

In the last year they seem to be moving into the realm of quantity over quality. Most if what I've drank of theirs this year has been fine but nothing special

They'll go the way of eight degrees and galway bay!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭flended12

I am a fan of WH but found their pastry series recently to be almost synthetic in taste.

I couldnt finish their egg nog ale. They do however have some great beers.

Have a few Brehon barrel age on the way. Super stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

I like the White Hag because they are an ambitious fairly small set-up operating out of a small rural town in Sligo. Some of the beers are a bit hit and miss but overall they are to be commended. Have been at their events over the years and thoroughly enjoyed them, hopefully they return soon. In relation to swapping out beers in offers, Blacks of Kinsale did the same to me without any notification either.

• Advertisement

flended12 wrote: »
    I am a fan of WH but found their pastry series recently to be almost synthetic in taste.

I couldnt finish their egg nog ale. They do however have some great beers.

Nail on the head, synthetic.
    I couldn't finish the coconut and the mexican one. Down the drain.
    Yet, bran and seolán, feadh, Black boar, atlantean and their sour range are amongst the best I've ever had

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

I like the White Hag because they are an ambitious fairly small set-up operating out of a small rural town in Sligo. Some of the beers are a bit hit and miss but overall they are to be commended. Have been at their events over the years and thoroughly enjoyed them, hopefully they return soon. In relation to swapping out beers in offers, Blacks of Kinsale did the same to me without any notification either.

The events that I’ve been to of theirs have been great tbf but usually end up drinking more of the guest beers
    Not a fan of the small cans and the gimmick pastry stouts (foul)

Surprised at the lack of love for their Pastry Stouts, I really liked them. One drink more than one in any sitting but that's not the point of them.

I'd still really go there's no one really putting out too many duds in Ireland, I just said Kinnegar as (as someone else said) they really do what they say on the tin. I could add loads of other breweries that I haven't had a bad beer from as well.

I've mulled over joining some of the various membership/ subscription offers that some of the breweries are doing, and I really couldn't commit. Not because I don't want to support breweries, just I don't want to restrict myself to support just one.

fwiw I had a look back, Kinnegar; Wicklow Wolf; Bru; Ballykilcavan; Trouble Brewing; and Hope seem to feature a bit more for us. During the summer I was drinking a lot of 12 Acres, especially Make Hay and The Far Side. I think "Winter is Coming" is ok, but I prefer the Wicklow Wolf and Lough Gill Oatmeal Stouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭flended12

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Surprised at the lack of love for their Pastry Stouts, I really liked them. One drink more than one in any sitting but that's not the point of them.

I'll sell you any I have, once you can collect in Dublin! :)

flended12 wrote: »
    I'll sell you any I have, once you can collect in Dublin! :)

How many did you buy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,940 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Macy0161 wrote: »
    There's not many Irish Breweries making bad beer in my far from expert opinion.

Pearse Lyons and Ballykilcavan say hello

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

By Pearse Lyons I presume you mean Foxes Rock? I'd have to agree. Friend of mine works for them and can get me cheap boxes but even then it's a tough sale for him. They tend to sit around here for months until I run out of other stuff and get desperate.

I've only had 2 Ballykilcavan, Secret Passion Pale Ale which wasn't great and Lineblocker which I really enjoyed

I've enjoyed most of the Ballykilcavan beers I've had. Only the red I was a bit meh about to be honest. I've enjoyed all their specials, and I keep going back to their Brown. The missus really likes Secret Passion. They are better canned than bottled though imo.

Are Pearse Lyons craft?

• Advertisement

By Pearse Lyons I presume you mean Foxes Rock?
    They do the Roadworks in Aldi and Journeyman too, and a few others I think. Early Start (the Roadworks low alcohol) is the only one I'd drink out of any I've tried.

Advertisement