Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Macy0161 wrote: »
    During the summer I was drinking a lot of 12 Acres, especially Make Hay and The Far Side. I think "Winter is Coming" is ok, but I prefer the Wicklow Wolf and Lough Gill Oatmeal Stouts.

I remember lidl were stocking them, had more than my fair share too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Big Belly Brewing presents Liquid Desserts - Caribbean Coffeecake Tonka Stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭flended12

OOnegative wrote: »
    Big Belly Brewing presents Liquid Desserts - Caribbean Coffeecake Tonka Stout.

Betcha can't say that after 5 or 6 of above 🀣

flended12 wrote: »
    Betcha can't say that after 5 or 6 of above 🀣

Wouldn’t be able to say it but pretty sure I could show you the contents of a bottle after 5 or 6!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,940 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

By Pearse Lyons I presume you mean Foxes Rock?

The Roadworks stuff in Aldi. It's desperately bad.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Had a cauldron of plenty last night, white hag redeeming themselves!

Adroit Theory - What Evil Lurks(Mostra Coffee + Toasted Coconut + Toasted Marshmallow + Saigon Cinnamon) [Ghost 774] absolutely super stuff. Thought it maybe to complex and sweet but wasn’t.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I had two beers from Otterbank (Muff, Co. Donegal) last night. I think they're a relatively new crew because I can't find a huge amount about them online.

"What Time Do You Call This?" and "So. It Begins." Both are mixed fermentation saisons. I think they use a mixture of wild yeasts, but I'd have to check the label again.

The first one exploded when I opened it so I ended up with only a wine glass-full of beer. :( It smelled beautiful, was more subtle on the taste buds, aged in Chardonnay barrels, around the 6.5% mark.

The second one was aged in Chardonnay and Pinot Noir barrels, was up around 8.2% alcohol, slightly darker colour. I opened it very carefully! And I enjoyed it a lot. Great to see an Irish brewery trying to perfect another Belgian style.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

I had two beers from Otterbank (Muff, Co. Donegal) last night. I think they're a relatively new crew because I can't find a huge amount about them online.

"What Time Do You Call This?" and "So. It Begins." Both are mixed fermentation saisons. I think they use a mixture of wild yeasts, but I'd have to check the label again.

The first one exploded when I opened it so I ended up with only a wine glass-full of beer. :( It smelled beautiful, was more subtle on the taste buds, aged in Chardonnay barrels, around the 6.5% mark.

The second one was aged in Chardonnay and Pinot Noir barrels, was up around 8.2% alcohol, slightly darker colour. I opened it very carefully! And I enjoyed it a lot. Great to see an Irish brewery trying to perfect another Belgian style.

Picked both of these up yesterday to add to my Xmas stash, I'll have to be careful so :pac:

That’s the lad from Yellowbelly isn’t it? So It Begins is an amazing drink.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

That’s the lad from Yellowbelly isn’t it? So It Begins is an amazing drink.

Yep. He's been adding new barrels to the place over the past few months so hopefully see more releases soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

Yeah so it begins is top stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

haven't even heard of Otterbank! Where can you pick them up?

Most online places have them, though they do be in shorter supply than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Beanstalk wrote: »

Got mine in Blackrock Cellar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

if they're in Muff I wonder are there any places locally?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I got mine in an Advent calendar, but I'll be looking out for them again in the New Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Helmet

I picked some up in the Centra in Muff the other day.

Found a 2015 KBS in the cupboard. Think tonight's the night to say goodbye to it.

Edit: the depth of flavour held up better than the 2016 edition of 200 Fathoms, but I'd presume that's because it was brewed with actual chocolate and coffee.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I believe they took over the old Boghopper premises there. I was sorry to see them go, I used to work with the guy who ran it before he founded the brewery. Basically he was working a "regular" job so that he could fund his dream of opening the brewery. I think the Boghopper website is still up and had local stockists on it, so maybe Otterbank is available in some of those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Bus Boy

Found a 2015 KBS in the cupboard. Think tonight's the night to say goodbye to it.

Edit: the depth of flavour held up better than the 2016 edition of 200 Fathoms, but I'd presume that's because it was brewed with actual chocolate and coffee.

How, dear lord did it last that long in there? I hope you enjoyed it, one of my favourites.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Zaph wrote: »
    I believe they took over the old Boghopper premises there. I was sorry to see them go, I used to work with the guy who ran it before he founded the brewery. Basically he was working a "regular" job so that he could fund his dream of opening the brewery. I think the Boghopper website is still up and had local stockists on it, so maybe Otterbank is available in some of those.

Correct on the first point, but Otterbank use Alpha Beer to distribute so a lot of the beer ends up down south. Most of Donegal isn't ready for mixed ferm beers just yet. :pac:

Tbh, I don't miss Boghopper. They were my local brewery and I rarely got a good beer out of them. They had a lot of basic, homebrew like, flaws in most of their beers.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

irish_goat wrote: »
    Tbh, I don't miss Boghopper. They were my local brewery and I rarely got a good beer out of them. They had a lot of basic, homebrew like, flaws in most of their beers.

Unfortunately I never actually got round to tasting any of their beers, I never saw them in any of the shops I'd usually frequent.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I came across them when I was on holidays a few years back. They were very much in the homebrew vein of breweries. Nice but very hit and miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

For anyone on here sampling the Mother Macs advent box, I feel like yesterday's beer (
    The White Hag - Chocolate Coconut Pastry Stout
    ) should have come with a warning label! Horrible stuff, and easily the worst of the box so far. Tbh, I think the two White Hag offerings so far have been the poorest, everything else has been top notch!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

For anyone on here sampling the Mother Macs advent box, I feel like yesterday's beer (
    ) should have come with a warning label! Horrible stuff, and easily the worst of the box so far. Tbh, I think the two White Hag offerings so far have been the poorest, everything else has been top notch!

When I met the brewer a couple of years ago and his vape smelled of concentrated skittles, I had concerns.

Should add, though, that their Heather sour is a magnificent beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Ah balls, was looking forward to that tonight, there's another one coming up that could well be straight down the sink.
    I think White hag need to stop trying every single idea that pops into their heads.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Poorside wrote: »
    I think White hag need to stop trying every single idea that pops into their heads.
    They would if people stopped buying the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

IMG-20201220-153951.jpg

I was really disappointed with this, I love a good Irish Coffee this reminded me of the worst ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've wondered for a few years now why there wasn't any Irish coffee stouts.
    We've had coffee stout, whisky barrel stout, lactose sout. Amazed it took this long for it to happen.

Advertisement