Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I'm ending my year with a 200 Fathoms so I'll get wistful on that. Dry January to boot as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Dew Drop Brewhouse Fourth Power American Amber Ale: quite a caramel biscuit taste going on and a slight bitterness.
    Reminds me of O'Hara's red a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Had the 3 beers from the new Dublin City Brewing Co. Lager was lovely, clean and crisp. The red ale was good too, like Smithwicks but with more flavour. The pale ale was a bit meh, overly malty and have had much better.

Also had several of the Larkin single hop series and they really do put the White Hag single hops(Smash) to shame.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Finishing 2020 in style (and guaranteeing a hangover to start 2021) by opening a Crann Beatha with dinner, sipping Mikkeller's Beer Geek Flat White for the duration of a Zoom party, and setting up to enjoy a 2020 200 Fathoms for the count-down. Yurt. :cool:

Pouring this into the glass was a thing of beauty. So bloody thick and viscous. Incredible.

Delicious as well. Very much get the whiskey edge to it. But there's an abundance of coffee as well going on.

537850.jpg

Also, warms you up like a dram. Great stuff altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Pouring this into the glass was a thing of beauty. So bloody thick and viscous. Incredible.

Delicious as well. Very much get the whiskey edge to it. But there's an abundance of coffee as well going on.

537850.jpg

Also, warms you up like a dram. Great stuff altogether.

Cracked one open myself last night and enjoyed it a lot. Pure decadence. Going to try the Porterhouse barrel aged offering tonight for comparison and see if I concur with The Beernuts sentiments on it being the best of the Irish barrel aged stout bunch this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Land and Labour Cuvée L&L mixed fermentation beer. Seriously good Irish sour.
    By Lambic standards, this isn't cheap but it's very, very good. Balanced, clean, funky, sour. I like.

Wide Street Brewing, The Wild Table, mixed fermentation beer. I thought this was fairly poor. Very watery and a bit yeasty honky. It kind grew on me as I drank it but watery kept coming to mind.

White Hag Cauldron of Plenty.
    What a shltshow, horrible disaster of a beer. Down the sink this one went. Bought what I thought was an oatmeal porter. On closer inspection a small sticker mentioned Brazilian coffee or something.
    Ends up tasting like a reasonable stout with a cheap, knockoff Tia Maria added, along with a dash of artificial tasting caramel syrup. This was a horrible, artificial tasting beer. I feel robbed.

Does anyone here actually like this beer?

Other than the Heather sour, I'll never buy another White Hag beer again!

They definitely need to stay away from stouts. I do like the single hops pales though and Atlantean is always a good sup, small can aside.

They definitely need to stay away from stouts. I do like the single hops pales though and Atlantean is always a good sup, small can aside.

Those single hop series were all NE style with no mention on the can so they pissed me off as well. I'm done with them.
    (at least they didn't end up going down the drain, I just didn't particularly enjoy them)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Does anyone here actually like this beer? !

I liked it. But then again I saw the coffee sticker before I bought it, and love a good coffee stout/porter.
    A nice backbone of chocolate malt, slight sweetness from the oats to intersect with the deep dry roast coffee notes.
    they need to stay away from stouts
    I agree that the dark druid series has been awful but black boar is one of their staples and its a great stout.

• Advertisement

Land and Labour Cuvée L&L mixed fermentation beer. Seriously good Irish sour.
    By Lambic standards, this isn't cheap but it's very, very good. Balanced, clean, funky, sour. I like.

That sounds lovely. Very much up my street. Cheers for the heads up. Be a nice one to serve up on February 1st.
    Know of any stockists not in Galway?
    Other than the Heather sour, I'll never buy another White Hag beer again!

I completely forgot about my stock of these until last night and found 2 of them in a long forgotten moving bag!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Continuing my mini 200 Fathoms tasting session, I had a 2018 bottle two nights ago. It was deliciously rich and smooth, as much of a step up from 2017 as 2017 was on 2016. While obviously it's a year younger, I'd still say it's aging better than its predecessor. I've two 2017 and one 2018 left. Kind of wish it was the other way round.

Which brings me to 2020, which I'm drinking at the moment. It is every bit as good as people have been saying here, imo the best 200 Fathoms since the 2015 release. I'm guessing that it's the extra time it spent in the barrels, but the only word I can describe this beer as is decadent. The whiskey gives it a lovely warming feeling without overpowering the flavour or making it harshly boozy. I did a tour of Teelings a couple of years ago and they had an on-site only whiskey which was aged in barrels that had previously been used for 200 Fathoms, and it was the best whiskey I tasted that day. I'd love to see what they'd get from doing the same with this batch of barrels, I reckon it could be something very special.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Zaph wrote: »
    I did a tour of Teelings a couple of years ago and they had an on-site only whiskey which was aged in barrels that had previously been used for 200 Fathoms, and it was the best whiskey I tasted that day. I'd love to see what they'd get from doing the same with this batch of barrels, I reckon it could be something very special.

Check your local Dunnes. They're selling Teeling Small Batch aged in 200 Fathoms casks. Not 2020, but a lovely one all the same. €54.11 a bottle though.

Enjoyed a couple of Guinness West Indies Porter last night.
    Fancied something black.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Last night inadvertently became a White Hag double bill.

I had their collab with Cloud Water, an English "extra special bitter" brewed to celebrate the ESB. Unusual dedication, but a good beer in the end.

Second on the evening was their normal imperial oatmeal stout. It poured like oil - super thick. It was a great stout all in all. I've had a run of the desert / pastry / absurd stouts put out over the last few months (and still have many more to work through) so it was nice to revert to a standard stout. The can had significant residue in it, which I thought was unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 l14masasddadsg

Gas!
    Sold here has an exotic foreign import.

Isn't it though? Imported from the UK presumably?

I paid €5.50 for the can, with the added cost of shipping to Ireland, I don't think that's too out of line.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 nestegg

Craft central have some 200 fathoms if anyone is looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Had the White Hag Dark druid earlier, way too sweet.

I really enjoyed Hope Handsome Jack IPA last night - lovely old school balanced IPA.

8degrees Full Irish is still a good IPA, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Poorside wrote: »
    Had the White Hag Dark druid earlier, way too sweet.
    The White Hag have gone down a lot in my estimation over the Winter. Maybe it's because I sampled too many of their "experimental" stouts, but they seem to be overreaching. Sometimes less is more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I had a few over Christmas and New Year, obviously.

Still prefer a straight Imperial, over barrel aged, and I don't think I'll really bother with barrel aged at all next winter. Pointy Shoes the only one I've really loved, as I found the barrel subtle in the taste. It could be something I missing with them, but I'm definitely missing it!
    • Whiplash Let. It. End is outstanding
    • Wicklow Wolf Mad Mex I've really loved
    • I'll be trying to pick up more Blacks Worlds End

Still have the Kinnegar one to try, but looking forward to it, despite my intention of my own version of "Dry January" to try and go a bit easier on the abv's.

First year into craft beer - is the amount of barrel aged beers this year normal, or was there something exceptional this year? Toward the end of the Christmas period, it felt like everyone had one out to cash in on the gimmick (which I bought in to of course!)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Pen Rua wrote: »
    First year into craft beer - is the amount of barrel aged beers this year normal, or was there something exceptional this year? Toward the end of the Christmas period, it felt like everyone had one out to cash in on the gimmick (which I bought in to of course!)

I think we're seeing a few more alright, possibly due to their being more distilleries popping up so more avenues for a microbrewery to procure barrels.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I should clarify that I really liked the Otterbank wine barrel aged mixed fermentation beers, and previously enjoyed whichever 12/12 Wicklow Brewery did in Port barrels, so maybe it's just whiskey I don't like (as I definitely like stouts). I think I've one barrel aged left - the Ballykilcavan Red.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Pen Rua wrote: »

Yup, brewers love putting stuff into barrels. I was surprised when even Whiplash released one.

RasTa wrote: »
    Yup, brewers love putting stuff into barrels. I was surprised when even Whiplash released one.

I haven't made a trip to an off license in a while (so probably have missed it by now), but I saw on Untappd the local place was selling it for upwards of €13 or so? Maybe north of €14.50. As much as I am a fan of Whiplash, I'm not sure I'd be willing to drop that much on a can? As much as we deride the wax sealed bottles, they do add to the premium nature of a product versus a can.

I'm sick of removing wax, almost as sick as I am of going to the bottlebank. Squash can, green bin, job done.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I find the bottle opener has no issue taking the cap and wax off in one piece. Maybe I'm just getting lucky though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Squash can, green bin, job done.
    Apparently the sorting machines will sometimes fail to recognise squashed cans, or ones with plastic labels on. It's best to leave them unsquashed and peel the labels off. Some of the shrink-wrapped ones have handy perforations for zipping the sleeve off before binning the can.

• Advertisement

I don't like the barrel aged stouts so most of mine was on the Otterbank range, maybe there's a pile of it on there as I always had to cut it off first. That said, it's well worth getting into one of those no matter what the means.

Advertisement