Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Bought a load of the latest Lidl American Pale Wheat Ale, its pretty delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,103 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

slayerking wrote: »
    Bought a load of the latest Lidl American Pale Wheat Ale, its pretty delicious.

Didn't think twas that great, drinkable but nothing special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Rascals Wunderbar, subtle but lovely IPA.

One of my favourites at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

The quick pick for the weekend. ;)

Arrogant Bastard Bouron Barrel aged - nope, had the makings of a good beer but the balance is all wrong. I barely finished it and I definitely won't buy it again.
    2/5

Galaxy Single Hop IPA - I've had many of these now and every time I am delighted with my decision.
    It's a simple IPA with great citrus and peach flavours, well balanced with a nice, refreshingly dry finish.
    It's a step away from the overly complex, underwhelming styles and for that I am greatful.
    4/5, I've had it on draft and I'd rate that even higher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

CianRyan wrote: »
    Arrogant Bastard Bouron Barrel aged - nope, had the makings of a good beer but the balance is all wrong. I barely finished it and I definitely won't buy it again.
    2/5

Galaxy Single Hop IPA - I've had many of these now and every time I am delighted with my decision.
    It's a simple IPA with great citrus and peach flavours, well balanced with a nice, refreshingly dry finish.
    It's a step away from the overly complex, underwhelming styles and for that I am greatful.
    4/5, I've had it on draft and I'd rate that even higher.

I'm a fan of the Galaxy as well. what did you think of the Amarillo?

I had the DIPA supernova last night, another great beer.
    8 degrees are putting out fantastic products, with the exception of their headliners in my opinion.

I was a huge fan of the Snoweater Red IPA but at 6.8%, it shouldn't really be sold in pint glasses.

I'm a fan of the Galaxy as well. what did you think of the Amarillo?

I had the DIPA supernova last night, another great beer.
    8 degrees are putting out fantastic products, with the exception of their headliners in my opinion.

I was a huge fan of the Snoweater Red IPA but at 6.8%, it shouldn't really be sold in pint glasses.

I've not tried the Amerillo or the Snoweater yet, looks like I'll have to add them to my list! I've a Supernova waiting to be opened for tonight though, so I'm looking forward to that.
    Yeah, their special range are really good, the Mór Barely Wine they had last year was really special.

I credit the original brews they had out as my doorway into craft beer. They sold them in a restaurant I worked in and there may have been a few bottles consumed while cleaning up most nights. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Rascals Wunderbar, subtle but lovely IPA.

One of my favourites at the moment

It really is hard to fault. Cracking beer.

Beavertown Lupuloid.

lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Albert_Camus

Stone Xocoveza Stout. Really enjoyed it.

• Advertisement

Bonita.

Simply perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

had that new stone beer bastard midnight or whatever its called, aged in bourbon and maple syrup barrels with coffee. was a quite good barleywine, wasn't getting the barrel aging or coffee, but enjoyable if you like that style. 19 euros sadly :(

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Cast Iron

Torc Brewing Kingdom Porter. A decent drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Producer Ben

Had two bottles of the new Guinness Rye Pale Ale tonight. Tastes of nothing, very bland beer. Would not recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,103 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Hopfenstopfer Citra American Pale Ale, very enjoyable,light, smooth mouthfeel, not too happy. Really drinkable.

Kinnegar One for Ronan, excellent beer, yeasty, some maltyness. Another cracker from Kinnegar.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Bottle of Lost Coast Fogcutter - got in a delivery recently. Nice older style west coast IPA, mainly bitter and piney without tonnes of fruitiness.
    Firestone walker DBA, nice but nothing special.
    Anyone tried Devil Dancer by founders? was incredibly tempted at the weekend but it's €8 something for a small bottle.
    Had some Digital IPA on tap and was much more impressed than when I tried it in bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Had the bottle of 2015 Blacks Worlds End that I was aging. It's a lovely beer and has mellowed in the aging to become a nice sipper but I think I preferred it new. From my recollection it had a bit more to it then and the extra bit of bite helped.

Looking forward to trying this years version.

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Anyone tried Devil Dancer by founders? was incredibly tempted at the weekend but it's €8 something for a small bottle.
    Yeah I absolutely loved it. Big malty, hoppy, chewy, bitter beast of a beer. Lots of complexity like a hoppy US Barleywine.

I know it's €8 for a 355ml bottle but it's 12%
    Using the wine/beer comparison, that'd work out at €16 for a 700ml bottle, which is not excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Yeah I absolutely loved it. Big malty, hoppy, chewy, bitter beast of a beer. Lots of complexity like a hoppy US Barleywine.

I know it's €8 for a 355ml bottle but it's 12%
    Using the wine/beer comparison, that'd work out at €16 for a 700ml bottle, which is not excessive.
    Well put, I now feel better about buying this. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

2 bottles of Chimay Grand Reserve 2015....life is good again!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Anybody tried chimay grand reserve and can let me know whether it's worth buying? I keep eying it up.

Had the new mescan saison wasn't great

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

jsa112 wrote: »

Opened a Mescan Westporter stout earlier but there's a definite sour bang off it that isn't nice.

Can of Red Baron Red IPA from Rooster's Brewery going down much better.

Ohh! Grand reserve!
    I have a Blue in my current bunch that needs a seeing to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Stone - Xocoveza
    Not sure about this one. Just tastes of pure cinnamon to me. Don't think it was worth the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Had two bottles of the new Guinness Rye Pale Ale tonight. Tastes of nothing, very bland beer. Would not recommend.

Diagio should stick to stout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

jsa112 wrote: »
    Anybody tried chimay grand reserve and can let me know whether it's worth buying? I keep eying it up.

Yep! It's about 6.50 for a 330ml glass in Brussels. 9.50 for a 750ml bottle here, and it's heavenly !
    Well worth a try

• Registered Users Posts: 33,903 ✭✭✭✭listermint

To answer the thread title.

All of them, now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Have been in the US for the last 2 weeks and these are the beers Ive had.
    Had some bad beers but these were the best I've had :

Deschutes Brewery Armory XPA (v2)
    Mankato Brewery Fresh Hopped IPA 2016
    Boulder Beer Company Co-Hopitation
    Southern Tier Brewing Company Pumking (2016)

Guinness Nitro IPA : It was from a plastic cup so cant tell what it really tasted like as it was pre poured and not sure how long it was sitting there in the sun.
    Cost $11.50 so only 1 was had. It was a creamy IPA.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Opened a Mescan Westporter stout earlier but there's a definite sour bang off it that isn't nice.
    I didn't like it either. I'd assume the sour twang was unintentional? Or is it normally like this?

There was a sourness to the Blond Beer too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I didn't like it either. I'd assume the sour twang was unintentional? Or is it normally like this?

There was a sourness to the Blond Beer too.

I assumed it was a flaw. Had a look at Untappd reviews and no one else mentioned sourness though so it might have just been a bad bottle.

Advertisement