Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

Tonight’s selection

- mescan seven virtues
    - mescan blond
    - Galway hooker India pale ale
    - blacks KPA
    - Lough Gill Shaka

If I get beyond them I have a few white hag atlantean in the fridge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

The Buster wrote: »
    Tonight’s selection

- mescan seven virtues
    - mescan blond
    - Galway hooker India pale ale
    - blacks KPA
    - Lough Gill Shaka

If I get beyond them I have a few white hag atlantean in the fridge

Mescan is a dang fine brewery. I had most of their range when I was up in Westport back in October. Stock is scare when it makes it to Cork. I’ll always regret not getting their box set & glass combo when I was up in Westport...

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Mescan is a dang fine brewery. I had most of their range when I was up in Westport back in October. Stock is scare when it makes it to Cork. I’ll always regret not getting their box set & glass combo when I was up in Westport...

Agreed about mescan. Love all their beers. I live in Mayo and have got a few crates in last year. If u can’t do pickup or local delivery it’s expensive as shipping is €14.

I’m surprised none of the online off licences (craftcentral etc.) don’t stock them. It’s not the easiest beer to get a hold of if outside Connaught or Dublin

Agreed about mescan. Love all their beers. I live in Mayo and have got a few crates in last year. If u can’t do pickup or local delivery it’s expensive as shipping is €14.

I’m surprised none of the online off licences (craftcentral etc.) don’t stock them. It’s not the easiest beer to get a hold of if outside Connaught or Dublin

thebeerclub.ie always sold it online but I don’t know if their temporary stoppage of shipping bottles is over yet.

https://www.thebeerclub.ie/collections/mescan-brewery

• Registered Users Posts: 68,832 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Managed, via a fortuitous DNA match on Ancestry, to go waaaay back in my Achill Island ancestry (one great grandfather and back, so not a lot admittedly) so I suddenly feel like I need a lot more Mescan in my life - but outside of occasional Lidl sales of it, I've never been able to get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

It's regularly available in O'Briens and No.21 in Limerick, with both offys having seriously upped their stock of Belgian style beers in the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

It's regularly available in O'Briens and No.21 in Limerick, with both offys having seriously upped their stock of Belgian style beers in the last few months.

Always in O'Briens in Galway too. As well as McCambridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I’m fairly certain that Martin’s stock them. Edit - they do but all sold out according to their website.

Redmonds in Ranelagh sell Mescan too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Founders Dirty Bastard for the game today

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Only went into number 21 for the 1st time during the week and was very impressed with their selection of craft beers. The guy behind the till was execelnnt in recommending some beers and told us if we wanted something they didn't have they'd try get it in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Only went into number 21 for the 1st time during the week and was very impressed with their selection of craft beers. The guy behind the till was execelnnt in recommending some beers and told us if we wanted something they didn't have they'd try get it in.

The lads are dead sound in there and they nearly always have scraggy cans in stock.
    They've gotten in a few beers that I asked about too. Which has pros and cons to it ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

3 new to me on Saturday, amongst others, and three really good beers...
    • Wide Street - Peach Berliner. I could imagine drinking lots of this on hot a summer day.
    • Brehon Brewhouse - Just Because DIPA. Very drinkable
    • Lineman - Rabbit Hole. Absolutely stunning, and my pick of the weekend. Both the new Lineman ones are absolute belters.

btw - it's a month or two since I was in there, but O'Briens in Greystones always had mescan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Anyone have Lervig Original Sin yet?

Has a great score on Untappd - 4.41.

I've had it. It's nice, but I went back to the three bean stout after it. Can't beat that one I think.
    I really liked the double choc fudge cake supreme one they released. Very rich, but well balanced flavours.

I noticed Martin's in Fairview have a bunch of new Lervigs in yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭toffeeshel

I’m fairly certain that Martin’s stock them. Edit - they do but all sold out according to their website.

Redmonds in Ranelagh sell Mescan too.

Display stand full of Mescan in super valu blanchardstown today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Lineman's Rabbit Hole was a surprise. I've had a couple of their beers in the past and have enjoyed them. This one was sweet (sugar is an ingredient iirc) bith with a malty & bitter background. Interesting mesh of 3 IPA styles. I have their Electric Avenue #1 waiting for the weekend. Hope they go from strength to strength this year

I really enjoyed Rabbit Hole - like you say, really interesting flavours is as far as my tasting capabilities goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Just opened the "Makin Bacon" Maple Bacon Porter from Third Barrel.. I dunno what to think

Followed by "The Dark Druid" Mexican Hot Chocolate Pastry Stout from White Hag

From the weekend...
    • Whiplash - The Ocean Wide. Not like any Brown I've had before, with the chocolate and maple syrup tastes (for me at least), but loved it.
    • Wicklow Wolf - Apex Expresso. Another brilliant stout from them. If Breakfast of Champions beat Whiplash, then this was nicer than the Rascals for me.
    • Lough Gill - Vermin Pastry Sour. Fruit overload, but it really worked!
    • Galway Bay - Voyager NZ. Hazy as feck, but continues my love of Nelson Sauvin!
    • Kinnegar - Brewers at Play 13 Grapefruit Saison. Probably not as grapefruit as I was expecting. It's a fine saison, but doesn't stand out like the other four new ones I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Yet again the lack of Pils in the larder has meant I grabbed a couple of Manislav's when in Tesco earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Knightofcydonia

Macy0161 wrote: »
    From the weekend...
    • Whiplash - The Ocean Wide. Not like any Brown I've had before, with the chocolate and maple syrup tastes (for me at least), but loved it.
    • Wicklow Wolf - Apex Expresso. Another brilliant stout from them. If Breakfast of Champions beat Whiplash, then this was nicer than the Rascals for me.
    • Lough Gill - Vermin Pastry Sour. Fruit overload, but it really worked!
    • Galway Bay - Voyager NZ. Hazy as feck, but continues my love of Nelson Sauvin!
    • Kinnegar - Brewers at Play 13 Grapefruit Saison. Probably not as grapefruit as I was expecting. It's a fine saison, but doesn't stand out like the other four new ones I had.

I do like the Wicklow wolf Apex Espresso but Rascals breakfast stout just tops it for me. We're lucky to have some fantastic options available at the minute. I picked up the new Rascals coconut vanilla milk stout, I'll sample that before the week is out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

I do like the Wicklow wolf Apex Espresso but Rascals breakfast stout just tops it for me. We're lucky to have some fantastic options available at the minute. I picked up the new Rascals coconut vanilla milk stout, I'll sample that before the week is out

I've had both the Rascals breakfast and the Apex Espresso recently and enjoyed them. Both very different though. The Breakfast stout is sweet and milky and very round while the Apex Espresso really surprised - much more intense smoky almost charred coffee taste, and much drier - in a good way.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Knightofcydonia

Beanstalk wrote: »
    I've had both the Rascals breakfast and the Apex Espresso recently and enjoyed them. Both very different though. The Breakfast stout is sweet and milky and very round while the Apex Espresso really surprised - much more intense smoky almost charred coffee taste, and much drier - in a good way.

Agreed, Apex has a more intense coffee flavour that lingers. Like you I enjoyed them both, think my palate is more geared towards the sweeter stouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Tried the Left Hand Brewing Chai Milk Stout nitro......reminded me of Christmas spices...not bad .. but it had the best head on a canned beer I've seen in a long time
    And also Trouble Brewing Dark Arts Porter...down to about 1.25 a bottle in my locale....very nice, smooth and easily drinkable

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭flended12

Tried the Left
    And also Trouble Brewing Dark Arts Porter...down to about 1.25 a bottle in my locale....very nice, smooth and easily drinkable

Wheres your locale as I like this porter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

La Chouffe. Another old classic...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Had a Cheshire chocolate Porter from M&S over the weekend. It was absolutely amazing and I would encourage anyone that likes chocolate in their stout/porter to try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

La Chouffe. Another old classic...

The houblon version is a dinger too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Stormtrooper beer lined up for the weekend.

S.N.I.P.A. - SITUATION NORMAL INDIA PALE ALE
    LIGHTSPEED PILSNER

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Hosting an online beer tasting with some friends later:

The lineup:

1. Weihenstephaner Hege
    2. Founder's Centennial
    3. Founder's Rubaeus
    4. Siren Broken Dream
    5. Rodenback Grand Cru
    6. Rocheforte 8
    7. Lervig 3 Bean

Its a bit heavy on the ABV, we bought them all in November and this is the second sitting so the centennial isn't at its freshest. The whole Founder's thing passed me by but i caught up on it over Christmas and probably won't buy anything from them until they sort out their stuff and put out more positive vibes instead of blocking people who take issue with their racism policy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I had a can of Founder's Centennial last week as part of a beer judging class. It was a few months old by that stage and definitely past it's best. Still ok to drink. Probably wouldn't have bought it myself either though given the choice.

Rodenbach Grand Cru is fantastic.

Advertisement