Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

Had that Shamrock Ice Cream ale last night. Picked it up from SperValu for the novelty. It looks like a kale & spinach smoothie with a lime cordial twinkle. I couldn't pull out any flavours, I found it revolting, 2 sips and bin for me. Don't buy it for the novelty, it will only encourage them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

I was reading about the origins of the Reinheitsgebot recently and although a lot of it was policitally motivated, the basic gist was that after beer left monastic breweries and started to be brewed by the masses all sorts of crap was put into it and it become beer in name only. By the 1400s some authorities fined brewers and felt obliged to ban them for making bad beer, tipping their barrels into the river. Of course back then people drank more ale than water.

But regardless, here we are now, in 2021, drinking Shamrock Ice Cream Ale. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Don’t get the hatred for White Hag over these beers.

I’ve really enjoyed all their different stouts. Hopefully they do more and hopefully they sold really well.
    I've enjoyed some of the pastry and dessert stouts, but the few I've had of The White Hag didn't really stack up against the Wicklow Wolf/ Lough Gill/ Ballykilcavan. So for me, it wasn't the theory of them, they just weren't good examples.

I did enjoy their pumpkin ale though, which probably puts me in a minority!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Beanstalk wrote: »
    I was reading about the origins of the Reinheitsgebot recently and although a lot of it was policitally motivated, the basic gist was that after beer left monastic breweries and started to be brewed by the masses all sorts of crap was put into it and it become beer in name only.
    That's pure politics by the German brewing industry, which picked it up from the Bavarians during unification. The idea that non-Reinheitsgebot ingredients are impurities is protectionist nonsense, as is the idea that a beer which meets the Reinheitsgebot will automatically taste better than a Shamrock Shake Ale.

BeerNut wrote: »
    That's pure politics by the German brewing industry, which picked it up from the Bavarians during unification. The idea that non-Reinheitsgebot ingredients are impurities is protectionist nonsense, as is the idea that a beer which meets the Reinheitsgebot will automatically taste better than a Shamrock Shake Ale.

Aye, but that's not really my (tongue-in-cheek) point at all though. I get that the 20th century iteration of Reinheitsgebot is political, i even mentioned it there in my post. And its more of a hindrance being so limited. But the initial concept was born out of a need to improve beer that was very poorly brewed, right back as far as the 12th century. Not only poorly brewed, but stretching the concept of beer into something very different. Some of these pastry/syrupy stouts are very poorly brewed indeed. All I'm saying is how far do you go with calling something 'Ale' before we stop and go hang on, that's a bit misleading. Shamrock Cream Ale coloured green would surely be close to that point?

Its not limited to Irish Breweries either. I noticed some stuff in Lid's recently that had added sugar and preservatives in it 'La Goudale Belgian Ale' i think, and the ingredients fo La Chouffe's Cherry Ale put me off too. its not limited to Ireland, but do we really want to encourage this by buying it? I'm not saying we should be introducing silly laws akin to scotch whiskey, but surely the desire is there still amongst brewers to make well made beer. There is fine line between experimentation and outright disdain for beer that is well made.

• Advertisement

But the initial concept was born out of a need to improve beer that was very poorly brewed, right back as far as the 12th century.
    I don't think this is true.
    but stretching the concept of beer into something very different.
    And this is very untrue. Plenty of German drinkers were doubtless quite happy with the high-quality beers they had locally but which were driven out of existence by the Reinheitsgebot because the ingredients were seen as improper.
    Some of these pastry/syrupy stouts are very poorly brewed indeed. All I'm saying is how far do you go with calling something 'Ale' before we stop and go hang on, that's a bit misleading.
    By "poorly brewed" do you just mean you don't like it? I mean, I've drank Franconian lager that was lousy with diacetyl -- objectively poorly brewed -- but I wouldn't question the correctness of calling it beer.
    do we really want to encourage this by buying it?
    I don't think it's a "we" situation. People who like it will; people who don't won't. Personally I'm in favour of choice. I spent long enough as a beer drinker in Ireland where choice was very thin on the ground. I don't expect every beer to suit me. As a writer, that's part of the fun.
    surely the desire is there still amongst brewers to make well made beer. There is fine line between experimentation and outright disdain for beer that is well made.
    I guess they see that line as being in a different place from where you see it.

I don't think this is true.

And this is very untrue. Plenty of German drinkers were doubtless quite happy with the high-quality beers they had locally but which were driven out of existence by the Reinheitsgebot because the ingredients were seen as improper.

By "poorly brewed" do you just mean you don't like it? I mean, I've drank Franconian lager that was lousy with diacetyl -- objectively poorly brewed -- but I wouldn't question the correctness of calling it beer.

I don't think it's a "we" situation. People who like it will; people who don't won't. Personally I'm in favour of choice. I spent long enough as a beer drinker in Ireland where choice was very thin on the ground. I don't expect every beer to suit me. As a writer, that's part of the fun.

I guess they see that line as being in a different place from where you see it.

Ah here, this just started about a simple point about the concept of brewers brewing any old crap and selling it as beer. I don't want this to derail the thread, and i have lot of respect for both your opinion and your blog - I think its one its the best sources of beer reviews out there and you know your stuff, but saying something is true or untrue is a little heavy handed. I was just basing it on what I'd read recently from a couple of books, one being 'Prost: the Story of German Beer' by Horst Dornbusch, and another being 'Beer in the Middle Ages and the Renaissance' by Richard W. Unger, both of which reference a lot of primary sources and edicts of the day, and not just in Bavaria, but in the Low Countries and England as well.

It becomes a little more difficult to understand why decisions were made to regulate beer, but there are cases of both it being a case to line noble's pockets and also of local citizens decrying the quality of local beer to town councils, who took the view that regulating beer ingredients was a public health issue, particularity when ale was the only option over water in an environment rife with plague and famine. All of these reasons led to the offically recognized Reinheitsgebot, that existed in many forms at a local level beforehand, for many years, so where do you draw the line? I'm not an authority just because I read a couple of books, but what I said was definitely not incorrect. Categorically stating something is definitely true or untrue flies in the face of historical research.

Of course I don't speak for everybody, and I also agree with choice, so please forgive my use of 'we'. Choosing poor ingredients that don't work together in beer is as much poor brewing just as fermenting at a wrong temperature with knackered yeast or using old hops is.For example dumping mint syrup into an already overly thin stout and selling it is poor brewing in my opinion. Everyone makes mistakes in brewing but this series of cans seems more like a cynical cash in on a trend rather than making anything lastingly respectable. I don't get it at all, because other beers produced by that brewery are wonderful.

And you're definitely right, I do personally see that line as different, and if people want to drink who am I am I to discourage them? I remember choice being thin on the ground too, and I love the choice we have now.

Also, what was the Franconian lager out of interest? :)

I strongly recommend, for entertainment value alone, having a look at some of what Ron Pattinson has written on the subject of Horst Dornbusch. linky linky linky. One doesn't get to cite Horst and then accuse someone else of flying in the face of historical research :)
    the concept of brewers brewing any old crap and selling it as beer.
    I think the brewers in question might disagree with you about what they're doing.
    what was the Franconian lager out of interest? :)
    Achhörnla's in Forchheim was the one I was thinking of, but Klosterbräu and Ambräusianum in Bamberg both served me awful beer. Klosterbräu was famous for it, apparently.

I strongly recommend, for entertainment value alone, having a look at some of what Ron Pattinson has written on the subject of Horst Dornbusch. linky linky linky. One doesn't get to cite Horst and then accuse someone else of flying in the face of historical research :)

Hah this is great! Always good to know what you're reading, and I've yet to find anything Ron Pattinson, who is so well regarded, has written that I've felt was a bit off. I almost take everything he says as gospel. Still tho, some of the sources in question, if they are primary or taken directly from primary, like edicts and council records, are hard to argue with. Personally I wouldn't write off all of someone's research based on that, but I sure as hell will be more wary, so cheers! I really hope I didn't offend you, that wasn't my intention at all, it was more just I was coming from the angle that when research is so multi-faceted and sources so varied across political and social landscapes that are unrecognisable to today, its sometimes easier to focus on what facts are correct or incorrect based on a primary source rather than what general observations are true or untrue, if you know what I mean. The guy Unger's book is a hard slog, more like intense academic research on the history of brewing, but definitely an impressive bibliography and sources. I'm thinking now he's probably come out with some clangers too tho hah!
    I think the brewers in question might disagree with you about what they're doing.

Thats good though. It's good to disagree! and also good to give feedback. if they see it as experimentation and development that's cool, and I recognise its a tough market, especially now to find a gap in, and its very competitive. I think Kinnegar's 'Brewers at Play' model just seems more forthright about what they're doing and why they're doing it and is infinitely more respectable, in my opinion, than just churning out green stuff for Paddy's Day.
    Achhörnla's in Forchheim was the one I was thinking of, but Klosterbräu and Ambräusianum in Bamberg both served me awful beer. Klosterbräu was famous for it, apparently.

I had some beer from Amsterdam recently, 'Hertog Jan. Their 'tripel' was so dire i had to dump it, and nothing like what I would expect of a good tripel. I've never dumped before. Always slogged through it. woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Lineman - Rabbithole :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

With regards White Hag, their quantity over quality output in the last year has really lowered my opinion of them and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I like to see Irish craft brewers doing well and putting out quality beers but it seems like increased output means lowering of quality in general. Hopefully they get a new head brewer in who can bring them in a better direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

With regards White Hag, their quantity over quality output in the last year has really lowered my opinion of them and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I like to see Irish craft brewers doing well and putting out quality beers but it seems like increased output means lowering of quality in general. Hopefully they get a new head brewer in who can bring them in a better direction.
    Agree completely. Some of their offerings at Christmas were an eye-opener for me, pure muck. They need to remember that, sometimes, less is more

I had some beer from Amsterdam recently, 'Hertog Jan. Their 'tripel' was so dire i had to dump it, and nothing like what I would expect of a good tripel. I've never dumped before. Always slogged through it. woeful.
    AB InBev. Not known for their excellence in tripel ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Sierra Nevada, Torpedo extra IPA..€1.25 a bottle..... thank you very much!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

The ride isn't stopping with White Hag either.

https://twitter.com/TheWhiteHag/status/1364260241274265605

AB InBev. Not known for their excellence in tripel ;)

I was so disappointed! My eyes saw the label and went ooohh something old, something authentic. It was a gift tho, so not a huge loss!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

They have an acting head brewer at the minute that was second in command, seems he has no interest in it long term though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Anyone recommend where to buy some decent pint glasses or glasses for stout?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Sierra Nevada, Torpedo extra IPA..€1.25 a bottle..... thank you very much!

Whereabouts?

Whereabouts?

If you're in Kerry.. you're in luck,
    :)

• Advertisement

Bit outside the 5k but sure I could class it as essential?!

Thanks though!

Bit outside the 5k but sure I could class it as essential?!

Thanks though!

They do deliveries nationwide, I'm sure if you wanted a few bottles it would be worthwhile?

They do deliveries nationwide, I'm sure if you wanted a few bottles it would be worthwhile?

Can you PM the link?

Have ordered some nice beers for the weekend but most looking forward to:

Whiplash's Saunter Dubbel
    Galway Bay Voyager NZ

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Blud

Did you try any of the Kinnegar barrel aged beers last week? I had the whiskey conditioned pale rye ale last night. A very interesting beer.

Anyone know where I might pick this up? Seems sold out everywhere online.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Blud wrote: »
    Anyone know where I might pick this up? Seems sold out everywhere online.

Keg only beer afaik. Fairly sure they were brewed a year ago and have been aging since. I'll ask in the Craic meetup this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭munster87

What shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Speaking of Kerry, I'm having a Night Porter this evening.
    The smell, the Mouthfeel, the taste.... I feel like I'm in a rural shebeen from the fifties.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Speaking of Kerry, I'm having a Night Porter this evening.
    The smell, the Mouthfeel, the taste.... I feel like I'm in a rural shebeen from the fifties.

Isn't it something special?

I might crack open a Riasc this weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Isn't it something special?

I might crack open a Riasc this weekend

I don't know what to make of it tbh.
    It's unique, like nothing I've ever had before.

Advertisement