Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I genuinely had a moment when I had my first sup.

Absolutely loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I find it confusing that you both have the same avatar. I thought you were having a conversation with yourself where you couldn’t decide if you like the beer or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I find it confusing that you both have the same avatar. I thought you were having a conversation with yourself where you couldn’t decide if you like the beer or not.

That's how I feel most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction of somewhere that sells Kölsch?

My dad used to live in Cologne and I'd love to get him a few bottles. DrinkStore used to do them but not anymore.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction of somewhere that sells Kölsch?

My dad used to live in Cologne and I'd love to get him a few bottles. DrinkStore used to do them but not anymore.

Beer Club - https://www.thebeerclub.ie/products/fruh-kolsch-50cl
    Bradleys - http://www.bradleysofflicence.ie/fruh-kolsch/

If you really love him you'd get him a keg though. :pac:https://brewcrew.ie/products/fruh-fruh-kolsch-4-8-abv-30l-keg-53-pints

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Dellboy54

Why not support local also.....;)

https://www.craftbeersdelivered.com/Tom-Crean-Killowen-Kolsch

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Molloy's in Tallaght had Fruh Kolsch last time I was in there a week ago

9 White Deer do a nice one also.

And McHugh's in Artane have it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,006 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Larkin's IPA.
    Another misleading label, for me.
    Hazy. Little bitterness.
    Last Larkin's I'll buy.

On that bandwagon, a neighbour friend was horrified and sent me a pic of his beer, recently describing it as "yeasty milk", wondering if it was actually supposed to be like that. It went down the drain.
    He bought a can of Bone Machine IPA.

I can't understand how this isn't seen as a problem by the industry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I can't understand how this isn't seen as a problem by the industry.
    As long as the sales figures are satisfactory the industry doesn't have a problem.

BeerNut wrote: »
    As long as the sales figures are satisfactory the industry doesn't have a problem.

Well, communication with your market feeds into sales figures. Issues like this can take time to filter down to sales. My neighbour, who enjoys craft beer, will never buy another Whiplash beer again. Surely no company could see this as a good thing, or even satisfactory.
    Companies can always do better.

I really think the industry had a problem with IPA labelling and the worst offenders are losing sales because of it - they just don't realise it yet.

My neighbour, who enjoys craft beer, will never buy another Whiplash beer again.
    Yet Whiplash also has a legion of highly loyal fans in multiple countries. They produce a specialty product, not a mass-market one and aren't trying to please everyone. IMO it's a more sensible approach than trying to survive on beers with broad appeal produced at micro level, like say Dundalk Bay.
    I really think the industry had a problem with IPA labelling and the worst offenders are losing sales because of it - they just don't realise it yet.
    I think the fashion-conscious brewers will have moved onto whatever's next after haze before that becomes a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Larkins market the IPA as medium bitterness though? Bone Machine they say is a "modern American IPA", which rightly or wrongly, I'd always take to be Hazy NE.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Larkins market the IPA as medium bitterness though? Bone Machine they say is a "modern American IPA", which rightly or wrongly, I'd always take to be Hazy NE.

Yeah I'll always assume now that IPAs are going to hazy NE style unless they specifically say West Coast. I like both though so usually not too bothered what comes out of the can as long as it tastes nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

What are your thoughts in the resurgence of the West Coast Style again? Its interesting because I'm not sure European Brewers have been able to hit the mark as well (on ones i've tried) as the American Classics that we can still get in 355ml cans. Have Mikkellers new one arriving today though will be interesting to see their take on it. It almost feels like they're afraid to go too bitter. Palates/expectations have changed with the haze craze

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Yeah I'll always assume now that IPAs are going to hazy NE style unless they specifically say West Coast. I like both though so usually not too bothered what comes out of the can as long as it tastes nice
    With so much sales online at the moments I wonder is it a online v bricks and mortar (therefore purely based upon the label) issue?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've been focused mostly on stouts and porters since Christmas time. Must get back into IPAs again for the spring, east and west coast style.

Had an Oude Geuze Boon à l'Ancienne the other night for something different. My girlfriend had a sip and probably would have taken the whole bottle off me if she wasn't 8 months pregnant. :D She reckons it reminds her a bit of Godspeed from Galway Bay.

Yet Whiplash also has a legion of highly loyal fans in multiple countries. They produce a specialty product, not a mass-market one and aren't trying to please everyone. IMO it's a more sensible approach than trying to survive on beers with broad appeal produced at micro level, like say Dundalk Bay.

I think the fashion-conscious brewers will have moved onto whatever's next after haze before that becomes a factor.

I'm not suggesting that Whiplash make only beers that I like. Cannot Whiplash be everything they currently are but have clear labelling which indicates what's in the can?

Beanstalk wrote: »
    What are your thoughts in the resurgence of the West Coast Style again? Its interesting because I'm not sure European Brewers have been able to hit the mark as well (on ones i've tried) as the American Classics that we can still get in 355ml cans. Have Mikkellers new one arriving today though will be interesting to see their take on it. It almost feels like they're afraid to go too bitter. Palates/expectations have changed with the haze craze

I agree.
    Bitterness, even in so called West Coast IPA, has generally lessened, imo.

• Advertisement

Cannot Whiplash be everything they currently are but have clear labelling which indicates what's in the can?
    That would be square, daddy-o. The cats wouldn't be hip to it :cool:

This is a brewery that regards "Silly Stout" as a valid style designation.

That would be square, daddy-o. The cats wouldn't be hip to it :cool:

This is a brewery that regards "Silly Stout" as a valid style designation.

Old man shouts at cloudy beer!

Where would the likes of scraggy Bay fit into that though? It's not hazy and it's not West Coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Going to have to ensure I get some of this

https://twitter.com/KinnegarBrewing/status/1364927187611189249/photo/1

Also love that Kinnegar get full artwork for the specials

Where would the likes of scraggy Bay fit into that though? It's not hazy and it's not West Coast.

Balanced.

Balanced.

Ok.
    What would meet the criteria for 'original' or 'authentic' ipa? I presume it would have to be something from Britain or India and not America?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I've been focused mostly on stouts and porters since Christmas time. Must get back into IPAs again for the spring, east and west coast style.

Had an Oude Geuze Boon à l'Ancienne the other night for something different. My girlfriend had a sip and probably would have taken the whole bottle off me if she wasn't 8 months pregnant. :D She reckons it reminds her a bit of Godspeed from Galway Bay.

Have a bottle there waiting on worthy night. It's gorgeous!

Scraggy was released at a time when most hazy beers were weiss beers. It's a dying breed for sure

Ok.
    What would meet the criteria for 'original' or 'authentic' ipa? I presume it would have to be something from Britain or India and not America?
    The closest thing to 19th century IPA you can currently buy is Orval.

• Advertisement

Opened a Lough Gill oatmeal stout but I’m not loving it.

Advertisement