Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Opened a Lough Gill oatmeal stout but I’m not loving it.

I had their macadamia nut brown ale a few nights ago. It was disappointing. Thin bodied and watery tasting.

I had their macadamia nut brown ale a few nights ago. It was disappointing. Thin bodied and watery tasting.

Thin is exactly what I was thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Having the new Kinnegar Rye Double IPA (Shuttle Bucket)

It's basically a double Rustbucket and the hops are super charged and old school. Scraggy Bay and Rustbucket have a somewhat similar hop bill except for the rye addition so if you like either you'll love this. It really works and the rye really shines with the higher abv

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

You weren't wrong Reg:

545112.jpg

Jesus it's gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Tried all 3 of the Whiplash IPA releases since Christmas.

Cream on Chrome DIPA which is a re-release, lemondrop is a lovely hop and comes through but there is a heavy bang of garlic in the aftertaste.
    Ratio IPA, well executed fruity NEIPA. Basically standard fare from Whiplash.
    Let It Happen DIPA, another re-release and best of the bunch, citra really shines here. Could do with more carbonation as the one I had was virtually flat. Maybe it's meant to be like that?

All in all I'm fairly over Whiplash IPAs for the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Whiplash The Horror. The can says it's a smoked export stout, so I was a little worried that it would be something as smoky as Aecht Schlenkerla, which really wasn't to my taste. But the smokiness turned out to be very subtle and mild in the beginning, and I didn't really notice it at all after a while. However smoked or not, it's an excellent smooth and very tasty imperial stout. Glad I have a second can of it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Zaph wrote: »
    Whiplash The Horror. The can says it's a smoked export stout, so I was a little worried that it would be something as smoky as Aecht Schlenkerla, which really wasn't to my taste. But the smokiness turned out to be very subtle and mild in the beginning, and I didn't really notice it at all after a while. However smoked or not, it's an excellent smooth and very tasty imperial stout. Glad I have a second can of it now.

I liked it but was hoping for a little more smokiness myself, didn't live up to the name for me :D

You weren't wrong Reg:

Jesus it's gorgeous.

It’s absolute magic. Need one myself now :)

Drinking a Mikkeller's Beer Burst. A West Coast IPA that for some reason is very hazy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Nectarines eh?... actually...quite nice and refreshing for an ale of 7.5%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

White Hag Mochaccino Milk Stout . Stunning. White Hag brewing the best Stouts in the country imo.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ooh, who's gonna bite first? :pac:

Ooh, who's gonna bite first? :pac:

Because the head brewer is no more? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Verdant - Maybe one more PSI.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It’s absolute magic. Need one myself now :)

It sure is. I bought 4 of them. Second one open there now. Blade Runner on the box. Glorious.
    Passenger wrote: »
    White Hag Mochaccino Milk Stout . Stunning. White Hag brewing the best Stouts in the country imo.

This is the second review of this that was this glowing.

Onto the list it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭flended12

Tonight's offering

This is the second review of this that was this glowing.

Onto the list it goes.

They have a number of Stouts on the go at the minute. All are good imo.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

They have a number of Stouts on the go at the minute. All are good imo.

I'll have to try a few. I have a growler of their Galaxy Smash IPA for tonight. Got a complimentary Shamrock Ale with it. That one will be interesting...

I had some of this the last day and I didn't like it at all. Instantly reminded me of the harsh chemical tobacco vanilla flavour of cheap e-ciggarette juice I used to puff away at before I gave it up. I didn't enjoy it at all. Interesting though that people love it!

KfoTWlO.jpg

Their Sabro Smash on the other hand was gorgeous. Love that hop!

1. Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Up next, Lervig collab with Pöhjala Nitro Raspberry Sour:

545402.jpeg

I have been dying to have this for an age.

2. Advertisement
    3. Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Had a few Kinnegars last weekend, all incredibly good. Will have to get my hands on a few of the West Kerry Porters!

4. Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Timistry wrote: »
      Had a few Kinnegars last weekend, all incredibly good. Will have to get my hands on a few of the West Kerry Porters!

I'm in the Limerick area myself and finding West Kerry Brewery very elusive! A trip west could be on the cards to stock up - when restrictions are lifted

5. Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I had a couple of Treat City beers last night.

Harris pale ale - very malty, and a dark bronze / caramel colour. If you like a maltier take on a pale ale then I can see how this might appeal but not hop-forward enough for me.

Invasion IPA - Much more hop forward and to my taste, but still a bit middle of the road.

I don't really know what's happening in Irish beer any more but I felt these were reasonably well executed but kind of in that 'middle market' / mass appeal bracket that means a lot of casual drinkers could try them or get into them, but there's not that much here to interest you if you want something bolder.

6. Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Up next, Lervig collab with Pöhjala Nitro Raspberry Sour:

/image snip/

I have been dying to have this for an age.

Now that rotation is a new one. New phoneitis.

Totally off topic, and a total aside - but every time I read your username, I read it in an over the top French accent. :pac::D

7. Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Had the collaboration stout between Northern Monk and Mikkeller, part of the Patron’s Project, 7.07. It’s an imperial coffee stout, worked a treat.

Also had a Basqueland “Cold Cream” pastry stout as well which I also thought was fantastic. Basqueland producing some real quality stuff.

8. Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Had the collaboration stout between Northern Monk and Mikkeller, part of the Patron’s Project, 7.07. It’s an imperial coffee stout, worked a treat.

Also had a Basqueland “Cold Cream” pastry stout as well which I also thought was fantastic. Basqueland producing some real quality stuff.

I thought I had a bottle of that there. But it's not a collab.

545355.jpeg

It'll be sitting up anyway for a while. Again, can't recommend that Mikkeller advent calendar higher.

9. Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭ [Deleted User]

I've found a last otterbank saison in the back of the press and there's no point in forgetting about it twice.

10. Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I've found a last otterbank saison in the back of the press and there's no point in forgetting about it twice.

I was thinking of pairing my saison with a white hag heather and weisenoher pils run later with dinner. You might have tipped me over the edge.

11. Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭ [Deleted User]

I was thinking of pairing my saison with a white hag heather and weisenoher pils run later with dinner. You might have tipped me over the edge.

Oh actually I've a heather there too. Now you're talking.

12. Advertisement
    13. Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Great minds

Advertisement