Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

DOTImperialSHerryMilkStout_600x_crop_center.png?v=1614612890

Another Dot brew. Their BA Imperial Sherry Milk Stout. Boozy, boozy, boozy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Anyone else pick up the double barrel aged Leann Folláin?

I'm drinking one tonight out of an old 8 Degrees flute glass. Very little carbonation/head. As dark and black as any Narwhal I've ever had. Some nice depth from the whiskey casks, but I should have tried to sample it side-by-side with the Christmas release to see if there was a notable taste difference.
    I only had my Christmas one last week and it was a little disappointing tbh.
    Smelled great but the scent didn't carry into the taste.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Firestone Walker Chocolate Cherry Stout. A little thin, but decent enough flavour, especially as it warms up a little. Streets ahead of the abomination that was White Hag's Black Forest stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Some blue Chimay tonight. One of my favourite beers. Have a 2016 bottle that I stashed away for my birthday next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Got a Lough Gill Chocolate Ox that I can’t wait to open on Friday...

Looks like it’s a cracker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Got a Lough Gill Chocolate Ox that I can’t wait to open on Friday...

Looks like it’s a cracker.

It's a good one had it over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 17,006 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That Kinnegar double rye IPA shuttle bucket is fierce nice and fierce drinkable at 8%!

A contemporary, strong, hoppy IPA that I can see my hand through!!
    Happy old fcuker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

BeerNut wrote: »
    Six days after I post the above: https://twitter.com/CadburyUK/status/1364906168376832000

I guess White Hag lost the tender.

Am sure all will be gutted to hear that the beer solid out within minutes.

https://www.gooseislandshop.com/collections/limited-release-beers/products/its-the-golden-goo-beer-lee

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

BrewHeart - Hopsecret & Hopeye to toast an old friend later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Am sure all will be gutted to hear that the beer solid out within minutes.

https://www.gooseislandshop.com/collections/limited-release-beers/products/its-the-golden-goo-beer-lee

Would have loved to have gotten a few of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Lidl Crafty brewing range, American style brown ale.

Very nice. especially so for the price.

There are not so many brown ales as other styles it seems. St. Mel's do one.

Not sure there are many other breweries doing them?

Whiplash did one recently, with the addition of maple syrupy so maybe not true to traditional style.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Speaking of Crafty Casual, the last few deliveries of stouts in my local lidl haven't been the same as before Christmas that i've been tasting anyway. Seems to be less dry cocoa chocolate powder as before and more thing sweet porter style thats a little thinner recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Beanstalk wrote: »
    Speaking of Crafty Casual, the last few deliveries of stouts in my local lidl haven't been the same as before Christmas that i've been tasting anyway. Seems to be less dry cocoa chocolate powder as before and more thing sweet porter style thats a little thinner recently.

Haven't tried their stout yet. Only the IPA which I found middling. Kinnegar big bunny, western herd blue jumper, Francis big banging IPA from the Kildare crowd would be my preferences in that style.

You would imagine a brown ale would do well here, over the winter months especially.

Speaking of western herd, I got a few cans of their home brew competition winner. A saison. So drinkable. The first can didn't stand a chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Ballykilcavan - Bambricks Brown and Lough Gill - Macnutty the only two I'm aware of in core range, apart from St Mels and Crafty/ Rye River. St Mels would be the pick of them for me, but the Crafty is a staple for me.

Rye River/ Solas/ Tesco had a Brown Porter that was lovely too, but it has disappeared.

I really enjoyed the Whiplash one - seems to be still available around a few places.

I think Newkie Brown being absolute muck puts people off even trying them, so they don't sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭VW 1

I've been drinking Cigar City beers recently, very well priced and very tasty. They do an espresso brown ale which is very nice and also a maduro brown ale, also very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

VW 1 wrote: »
    I've been drinking Cigar City beers recently, very well priced and very tasty. They do an espresso brown ale which is very nice and also a maduro brown ale, also very nice.

Their Belgian wit is lovely too!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Had a growler of Lineman's Rabbit Hole, which is described as an "8% red imperial IPA is intensely flavourful. Bursting with Simcoe, Motueka and Nelson Sauvin. The generous malt and fruity hops are balanced by a soft bitterness."

I think something's gone wrong with mine. It's like the batch was watered down or something. No carbonation. No hint of hops on the nose or the tongue. And definitely doesn't hit like an 8% beer either. I had a glass before dinner and wasn't impressed, and then tried it again later after it had warmed up a bit. No difference.

My taste buds are working fine with food so it's not Covid anyway!

Had a growler of Lineman's Rabbit Hole, which is described as an "8% red imperial IPA is intensely flavourful. Bursting with Simcoe, Motueka and Nelson Sauvin. The generous malt and fruity hops are balanced by a soft bitterness."

I think something's gone wrong with mine. It's like the batch was watered down or something. No carbonation. No hint of hops on the nose or the tongue. And definitely doesn't hit like an 8% beer either. I had a glass before dinner and wasn't impressed, and then tried it again later after it had warmed up a bit. No difference.

Definitely not my experience with that beer (from a can). Not sure if it's worth dropping them a DM to give them a heads up or anything, they're fairly active on Instagram.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Could some of it have been sitting in the tap lines too long perhaps? Maybe something to take up with whoever you got the growler from as opposed to Lineman

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Could some of it have been sitting in the tap lines too long perhaps? Maybe something to take up with whoever you got the growler from as opposed to Lineman

I'll be chatting with them tomorrow afternoon anyway so I'll query it then. My best guess is that I got the first pour from the barrel too soon after the growler unit was cleaned.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I had a can of it last month after hearing rave reviews and I was impressed at all. It certainly didn't match its own description.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭flended12

€4 each in lidl. Sure what harm

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Does anyone know if Lidl have discontinued their radler? Hasn't been any in Derry for months and Letterkenny didn't have any today either.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is it not summer seasonal?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

L1011 wrote: »
    Is it not summer seasonal?

That would make sense...

The stout and red in the Treaty paddy box are lovely. Just got into it this evening. The pales are nothing better than what they’re doing with the main range.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

The stout and red in the Treaty paddy box are lovely. Just got into it this evening. The pales are nothing better than what they’re doing with the main range.

Agreed. The cream ale is rank though

Agreed. The cream ale is rank though

I found that one smelled really weird but tasted good. Strange one.

Edited to add: just had a can of Dark Arts porter from Trouble Brewing. It was one of the first craft beers that I really loved, and it is still class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

VW 1 wrote: »

I remember Galway bay had a nice brown e called touching the scald. But I presume it was never bottled/canned.

I had the cigar city espresso brown. It only tasted OK and didnt agree with my stomach after 😂😂

Advertisement