Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Whiplash Drone Logic. With simcoe hops. Whiplash doing that they do best, a solid DIPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Passenger wrote: »
    Whiplash Drone Logic. With simcoe hops. Whiplash doing that they do best, a solid DIPA.

Their new Baltic Porter is decent too.

Yes, Melody Noir is solid. Had that a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Having a Wicklow Wolf Apex Oatmeal Stout. I remember being underwhelmed the first time I tried it maybe a year ago. This one is lovely though.

Having a Wicklow Wolf Apex Oatmeal Stout. I remember being underwhelmed the first time I tried it maybe a year ago. This one is lovely though.

Temperature plays a huge part when enjoying Stouts imo. Where did you store them before you drank them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Been waiting for one of these for a while now!

Where did you manage to get that from? Definitely one that's on my bucket list.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Humble Forager Brewery - Coastal Sunset(v1) Pineapple, Tangerine, Cherry, Coconut, Marshmallows, Walnuts, Vanilla Beans.

A sour of serious complexity, but my goodness all those flavours work.

Zaph wrote: »
    Where did you manage to get that from? Definitely one that's on my bucket list.

https://beerrepublic.eu/products/bourbon-county-brand-stout-2020?_pos=1&_sid=e17fe8b2e&_ss=r

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It's a Saturday night, so I'm drinking DOT Brew's "State of Mind" barrel aged blend out of a large whiskey tumbler. A very interesting sipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭French Toast

Third Circle's Needs More Cowbell Tonka Bean milk stout. Decent, enjoying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Had a Lervig 3Bean Stout there for the second half of the match. A monstrous sipper. Lovely stuff, but the sort of stout you'd miss with coffee and pour over a vanilla ice cream.

Now I'm onto Otterbank Blended Chardonnay Saison. As mentioned before, it exploded. Thankfully I remembered before I opened it and went to the sink.

I do love a Saison but this is a lovely version of the genre.

Otterbank now another on the go to list.

WBBOzzy_grande.jpg?v=1606747106

Wander Beyond Ozzy. Licorice, but done really well. Balances well with the dark chocolate flavours.

Flying Monkey - Chocolate Manifesto. Tastes like alcoholic chocolate mixed with caramel flavoured milk.

Amundsen - raspberry, salted caramel stout. Very nice.

Oddity - Astral Trip Double Oatmeal Stout. Loved this one, slightly sweet taste off it but really very good.

Passenger wrote: »

Wander Beyond Ozzy. Licorice, but done really well. Balances well with the dark chocolate flavours.

Did you not find that the taste of Star Anise was fairly overwhelming?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Flying Monkey - Chocolate Manifesto. Tastes like alcoholic chocolate mixed with caramel flavoured milk.

Amundsen - raspberry, salted caramel stout. Very nice.

Oddity - Astral Trip Double Oatmeal Stout. Loved this one, slightly sweet taste off it but really very good.

Where'd you get that Amundsen?

Did you not find that the taste of Star Anise was fairly overwhelming?

Not at all. I was expecting it to be. But I thought it was well balanced.

White Hag Union Series Nelson Sauvin. Don't think I've had any beers previously with that particular hop variety, so had no real expectations. Beer was only OK imo. Tasted fine, but it seemed very watery to me, which definitely detracted from it. I'd drink it if it was given to me, but wouldn't bother buying it again.

What's the story with buying from them seeing as they're in the Netherlands? Is it a case of just hoping it's not stopped for excise?

What's the story with buying from them seeing as they're in the Netherlands? Is it a case of just hoping it's not stopped for excise?

Actually didn’t realise there could be excise on it due to coming from within EU.

It’s very clear from the box what was in it but it wasn’t stopped by customs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

It's a Saturday night, so I'm drinking DOT Brew's "State of Mind" barrel aged blend out of a large whiskey tumbler. A very interesting sipper.
    Had one over Christmas, and was really impressed, but haven't been able to find them since. Did you get yours online or locally?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Had one over Christmas, and was really impressed, but haven't been able to find them since. Did you get yours online or locally?

Craft Central had it a few weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

At this rate, I think this thread needs to approach Craft Central for a discount code for all the referrals we give :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Pen Rua wrote: »
    At this rate, I think this thread needs to approach Craft Central for a discount code for all the referrals we give :pac:

I don't know if they still do it, but I remember years ago handing over a stream of Beoir tokens to get price reductions in the Galway Bay pubs... More innocent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

White Hag Union Series Nelson Sauvin. Don't think I've had any beers previously with that particular hop variety, so had no real expectations. Beer was only OK imo. Tasted fine, but it seemed very watery to me, which definitely detracted from it. I'd drink it if it was given to me, but wouldn't bother buying it again.
    I had 4 of them on Friday - Nelson, Mosaic, Azacca. Sabro (pretty much in order of my taste!).

I've been really loving the Nelson Sauvin hopped beers, but the White Hag was nowhere near as nice for me as the Bru/ Craft Central "King Nelson" or the Wicklow Wolf "Somewhere Far Away". Also had the O'Brother hOPTICAL, which was a banger. Actually I should add the Galway Bay one was lovely.

I was underwhelmed by the White Hag, and the two Rascals NZ hopped beers - all grand, but nothing special. But maybe I had high expectations.

Also had Magic Mist by White Hag - it was nice, but still not as nice Atlantean.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭joficeduns1

Bar the Guinness for the rugby on Saturday all I had was a bottle of Anchor Steam last night, which I'm quite fond of.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Bar the Guinness for the rugby on Saturday all I had was a bottle of Anchor Steam last night, which I'm quite fond of.

One of my favourites as well, did the brewery tour in SF years ago. Still no sign of the controversial new branding here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Also had the O'Brother hOPTICAL, which was a banger.

Had this as well at the weekend and thought it was very nice. Obrother are putting out a lot of hazy IPAs and pale ales but I find they are distinctintly different as opposed to Whiplash's recent output which I'm finding increasingly hard to differentiate.

One of my favourites as well, did the brewery tour in SF years ago. Still no sign of the controversial new branding here

Didn't realise they'd changed the branding, whoever designed that should quit and get a job as a barista or something. They're certainly not a designer, that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

That's been out for months now :D

Advertisement