Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

BaZmO* wrote: »
    :)

I love black butte.

I have been drinking fresh squeezed for the last three weeks. I'm all hopped out, a week in rehab would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭janiejones

Had 2 crafty brewing American style pale wheat ales from lidl. Lovely but not what I expected. I didn't get any wheat from it. More like cousin Francis just not as strong. Was expecting more of a German weissbier

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Treaty City brewing in Limerick launched their new beer last week. Thomond Red Ale. It's really very nice. Had it on draft on Thursday, trying a bottle of it at home tonight with a late dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Siren's BA Caribbean stout smells amazing but tastes weird, like a really sweet malt milkshake. Would not get again. Stone's new imperial espresso stout was nice and balanced but wasn't totally blown away.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

For al Stone's hype, I've seen a lot of average to low real life reviews.
    I'm still hopeful I'll get something nice from them. :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

CianRyan wrote: »
    Aren't these statements mutually contradictory? ;) I find Stone to be generally quite solid, but the days when they were next-level amazing, if they ever existed, are some years past.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I'm still hopeful I'll get something nice from them. :p

The first lot of bastard was poor, had their IPA at the weekend it was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

BeerNut wrote: »
    Aren't these statements mutually contradictory? ;) I find Stone to be generally quite solid, but the days when they were next-level amazing, if they ever existed, are some years past.

Completely. :p
    I'm referring mostly to the sponcered Instagram "reviewers" opinions compared to the average drinkers opinion. There definitely seems to be a devide there.

It's a bit Pliny the Elder, no doubt it's probably a fine beer but wow, the absolute hype is hard to bare.
    oblivious wrote: »
    The first lot of bastard was poor, had their IPA at the weekend it was nice.

Bastard was the last one I had, I may give give their IPA a try this weekend if it's worth a punt!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Brewdog Black Eyed King Imp Vietnamese Coffee Edition, probably the most long winded name for any beer I've ever had, but what a beer! It's thick, oily and bitter with vanilla, dark chocolate and less obviously than you'd expect given the name, coffee, coming through. At 12.7% it would be pretty impossible to hide the alcohol fully, but it's nice and warming rather than harsh in any way. Knowing how much it was selling for I probably wouldn't have bought it for myself, but I'm very grateful to the person who bought it for me because it's a spectacular beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Heading to Berlin later in the week. It's mostly for work but I will get a chance to head out on Saturday night. Anyone have any recommendations for places to go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

Anyone have any recommendations for places to go?

Stone Brewing Berlin....
    http://www.stonebrewing.eu/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

matrim wrote: »
    Heading to Berlin later in the week. It's mostly for work but I will get a chance to head out on Saturday night. Anyone have any recommendations for places to go?

Whereabouts are you staying? It's a big city just and if you've not got heaps of time you'll not be able to cover much ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,103 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Brauhaus Lemke if you're in the Mitte area.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's a bit Pliny the Elder, no doubt it's probably a fine beer but wow, the absolute hype is hard to bare.
    That just sounds like you're following the wrong reviewers. And yes, Pliny is nice, but not the be all and end all.
    Heidenpeters, Hopfenreich, Kaschk. Also Lemke has just refurbished Brauhaus Mitte as "Lemke am Alex" and it looks impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

This year's Lublin to Dublin is decent, also finished off the Dot trilogy with the origin one, nicest of the 3 imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

"craft" wine has arrived in Aldi

407Tgk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

The beer in Berlin is generally sh*te, the vast majority being kindl or pilsner which is grand but pretty boring if you're used to drinking IPAs etc.

Vagabund Brauerei is a gem of a spot http://www.vagabundbrauerei.com/. Visited it on my last two trips to Berlin and its a winner, the beer, premises and staff are top notch. It was started by some US and UK dudes who were living in Berlin and wanted some hops. They brew in the basement below the bar so the beer is fresh as it gets. They've four or five of their own on tap and a fridge full of interesting bottles. Their double IPA is one of the best I had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Having a La Trappe Quadruple at the moment, not quite as nice as the Chimay , but close

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I liked it! I tend to like the rye beers. Its not as good as DOT Brewing's session Rye Pale Ale or Rustbucket but it's still pretty decent.

Have to say i thought it was very poor.
    Had that same, succinct aftertaste that HH13 has, and the Guinness nitro.
    They have to be tried but in future if I want Rye, I'll go for Rustbucket.

Anybody had Sirens new Red IPA yet. Dying to try it bit can't find it anywhere.

Had a bottle of Buried At Sea last night, a lot less chocolatey than i recall.

• Advertisement

Popped into aldi and thought I'd try the Weihnachts beer by Schwaben brau.....bland is the kindest thing I can say about it

Popped into aldi and thought I'd try the Weihnachts beer by Schwaben brau.....bland is the kindest thing I can say about it

Ah sh1te, bought a bottle today too just to try, wont be in a hurry now.

Ah sh1te, bought a bottle today too just to try, wont be in a hurry now.

Give it a go, just to see if my tastebuds are working, would be interested to see what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

RasTa wrote: »
    "craft" wine has arrived in Aldi

407Tgk.jpg

The Red wine is really nice. Full bodied, fruity, with a dry, woody finish. Really impressed with it tbh. Must check out the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Tempus Project Deimos - Beavertown / Oskar Blues collab

Olorosso Sherry Barrel aged Weizendoppelbock.

Big dark fruits, and a lovely caramelly banana undertone from the yeast.

This is a top beer for a wintery night beside the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

A delicious can of Royal Dutch. A royal lager that upon warming up allows it's true flavour shine through to the front.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Had a bottle of Buried At Sea last night, a lot less chocolatey than i recall.

Funny, I thought the same thing when I had a draught pint recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Zaph wrote: »

I'm of the opinion all of their beers have massively gone down hill the last few months.

The last few catches of Foam and Fury before they stopped making it were shocking bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

slayerking wrote: »
    They are ****e. Got it in one.

Picked up the IPA yesterday and couldn't even finish the bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Zaph wrote: »

Well they have removed the word chocolate from the label.

Advertisement