Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

I had one in my hand the other day but I couldn’t face buying a stout in that weather. The last one of theirs I tried (XXX) wasn’t great at all anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

irish_goat wrote: »
    Watery compared to Diageo or Heineken's stout? :confused:

I've never had Heinekens stout but while I would describe Guinness as creamy, it is not most full bodied

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've never had Heinekens stout

Heineken's stouts are Beamish and Murphys - you may have had one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

L1011 wrote: »
    Heineken's stouts are Beamish and Murphys - you may have had one.

Maybe, but I can't recall any strong opinions on them one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Kompaan 6/10, 7/10 & 8/10, if like me your a fan of hazy, juicy DIPA’s these are worth trying. 8/10 being particularly different.

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote: »
    Kompaan 6/10, 7/10 & 8/10, if like me your a fan of hazy, juicy DIPA’s these are worth trying. 8/10 being particularly different.

Can they even be got here?

Can they even be got here?

Probably not!! Come visit The Netherlands......(when you can).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Finally got my hands on a O'Haras Nitro. Not sure I'm seeing what all the fuss is about tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Finally got my hands on a O'Haras Nitro. Not sure I'm seeing what all the fuss is about tbh

Was there a fuss? Most people are just saying it's a solid Nitro Stout.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Looks like a new stout is being launched, presumably by a macro brewer. My guess is Heineken, with the product being aimed at the younger stout drinker.

JVNgvso.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

irish_goat wrote: »
    My guess is Heineken
    Spot on. Trademark is registered to Heineken Ireland.

The ad is guaranteed to feature cliffs and horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

What's better lads, Carlsberg or Coors Light?

GazzaL wrote: »

I prefer Carlsberg from those two.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭sceach16

GazzaL wrote: »

Choose between Scylla and Charybdis :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

sceach16 wrote: »
    Choose between Scylla and Charybdis :D

Two legendary beers, I know, it's a tough choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭French Toast

White Hag's Cauldron of Plenty oatmeal stout.

Quite enjoyed that, a bit sweeter than what I would usually enjoy.

Next up is Wild Beer's Trillionaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Amundsen - Cherry and Chocolate Ganache stout - very tasty, tastes exactly what you’d expect a Cherry and chocolate stout to taste like.

Amundsen - Hazelnut Mochacino Sundae stout - again Amundsen are great at getting their stouts to taste exactly like a desert. Really good.

Deya - Road Soda Pale Ale - weak tasting pale ale, nothing great about this at all.

Amundsen - In Cafruits - Cherry, Raspberry, Lemon and Almond Sour Ale. Not much to this, sounds much better than it is. Had high hopes for this.

Bakunin - Dancer Imperial Stout - this was very good. Very dark tasting, huge amount of coconut. Really good.

Wander Beyond - Half Moon Orange Chocolate Stout. Nice, heavy and orange.

Other Half Brewing - Double Dry Hopped Mylar Bags IPA - this was top notch, really really good, would have liked more carbonation though.

Vocation - Naughty and Nice Chocolate Stout - ok, nothing great, just okay. Smoky and bitter taste.

Amundsen - Cherry and Chocolate Ganache stout - very tasty, tastes exactly what you’d expect a Cherry and chocolate stout to taste like.

Amundsen - Hazelnut Mochacino Sundae stout - again Amundsen are great at getting their stouts to taste exactly like a desert. Really good.

Deya - Road Soda Pale Ale - weak tasting pale ale, nothing great about this at all.

Amundsen - In Cafruits - Cherry, Raspberry, Lemon and Almond Sour Ale. Not much to this, sounds much better than it is. Had high hopes for this.

Bakunin - Dancer Imperial Stout - this was very good. Very dark tasting, huge amount of coconut. Really good.

Other Half Brewing - Double Dry Hopped Mylar Bags IPA - this was top notch, really really good, would have liked more carbonation though.

Vocation - Naughty and Nice Chocolate Stout - ok, nothing great, just okay. Smoky and bitter taste.

I find Bakunin’s stuff very hit & miss. Some of there stouts and IPA’s excellent but some also are absolutely terrible to.

OOnegative wrote: »
    I find Bakunin’s stuff very hit & miss. Some of there stouts and IPA’s excellent but some also are absolutely terrible to.

The only other one of their beers that I had is Datapop which I also thought was pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I had that in my basket as discussed last week. Disappointed but kinda delighted at your review.

I got such White Hag Brewtonic In Cahoots vibes when I saw it!

I had that in my basket as discussed last week. Disappointed but kinda delighted at your review.

I got such White Hag Brewtonic In Cahoots vibes when I saw it!

Thought it would be great cos they absolutely nail the desert stouts... but it was very bland and disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Had a few of those Dutch Kees beers over at the weekend, all fairly average. The IPA was probably the nicest and only because I thought it was a perfect pale ale, clean crisp and slight hop bitterness

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I swore I would never buy anohter beer from Wander Beyond Brewing after the abomination that was their star anise laced stout. But being a sucker for new beers I picked up a can of Golden Firefly. A Caramel Biscuit Pastry Stout. So sickly sweet that it was just awful. These guys just don't seem to be able to do subtlety. But hey, I guess that's their schtick!

On a more positive note, To Øl's #DIPA is a fantastic beer. Big juicy hop bomb if that's your thing!

Passenger wrote: »
    Was there a fuss? Most people are just saying it's a solid Nitro Stout.
    Maybe not, I had just heard a lot about it from friends etc. Not sure if too many on here were talking about it. Anyway, fairly average stout overall.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I swore I would never buy anohter beer from Wander Beyond Brewing after the abomination that was their star anise laced stout. But being a sucker for new beers I picked up a can of Golden Firefly. A Caramel Biscuit Pastry Stout. So sickly sweet that it was just awful. These guys just don't seem to be able to do subtlety. But hey, I guess that's their schtick!

On a more positive note, To Øl's #DIPA is a fantastic beer. Big juicy hop bomb if that's your thing!
    Their "House of Pale" is lovely too. Seem to have a good solid range

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Their "House of Pale" is lovely too. Seem to have a good solid range

Yeah that's a great one too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Picked up cans of left hand nitro stout...and the powerhouse choc truffle.. haven't tried this one yet, so interested to see how it performs
    I shall report back anon :)

Edit:
    My report goes as such

"Meh"

It's alright...I got 2 cans to try it... won't be buying again methinks

BaZmO* wrote: »

I thought Golden Firefly was ok but the Star Anise Stout (called “Ozzy”) was overwhelming... and not in a good way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Galway Bay's Smoked Marzen! A fine effort, even if it is a little more expensive that the Shlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen to buy. In comparison to the latter the GB version is a little more silky smooth. Really enjoyed it, ordered another one for this weekend! Great with any cheese, meat or anything a German would eat in the Mountains.

Advertisement