Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Had one at the weekend myself - great to have it back!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Tried the Chocolate Truffle Stout from Porterhouse. I regret that I bought two cans of it. Didn't think it was that good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Effects wrote: »
    Tried the Chocolate Truffle Stout from Porterhouse. I regret that I bought two cans of it. Didn't think it was that good.

Agreed...it's the only porterhouse beer I haven't liked...had 1 yesterday...had the second half an hour ago.....and no, not any better a day later.
    Having a Left Hand nitro stout to alleviate the suffering ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭French Toast

White Hag Salted Caramel pastry stout.

Bought this as part of a miscellaneous collection of stouts. Was afraid it would be sickly sweet but not the case, quite enjoyable.

Will be buying from CraftDirect in the next few days, going to give Left Hand nitro a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I see as well as Call of Juicy (which is decent) Wicklow Wolf have a Call of Juicy: Black Hops edition out... the joys of being sent out for a late bottle of milk meant I was able to pick this up... as well as a Porterhouse Chocolate Truffle Stout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Couple of random ones from Knead last night:

Ended with a Whiplash Rollover...

Started with these:

549620.jpeg

attachment.php?attachmentid=549621&d=1617953408

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Picked up some nice Belgian beer glasses recently. Rubbish photo but you get the idea. The kwak one is a work of art.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Have a few of those but the Chouffee glass is lovely and my current favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭sceach16

Cazale wrote: »
    Picked up some nice Belgian beer glasses recently. Rubbish photo but you get the idea. The kwak one is a work of art.

Yes, they are nice BUT take up a lot of space and do not dishwasher well. Not as bad as the Erdinger glasses that are too tall for the dishwasher.

At the risk of being sent to outer darkness, I use the new guinness or bud pints for virtually every beer except triples....A wineglass for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,006 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

sceach16 wrote: »
    Yes, they are nice BUT take up a lot of space and do not dishwasher well. Not as bad as the Erdinger glasses that are too tall for the dishwasher.

At the risk of being sent to outer darkness, I use the new guinness or bud pints for virtually every beer except triples....A wineglass for them.

I find that a Duvel glass works well as a multi purpose glass.
    It will fit a pint but doesn't look silly with 33cl and isn't as wide as some others.
    I'd imaging they're fairly dishwasher safe, too - although, I wouldn't put any glass that I'm fond of in a dishwasher.

I regularly use large wine glasses for beer, too - of any style.
    I also like to top up my beer so I often use small high balls or a tumbler for beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Anybody had that Steam Boat Imperial IPA from lidl.

Also I see lidl are selling a range of Belgian beers next week, I wonder are they worth chancing for the fairly reasonable price (4 packs of Blonde/Dark/Triple Hop 10.5% abv - not sure if 250ml or 330 ml - for €10).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

BPKS wrote: »

Also I see lidl are selling a range of Belgian beers next week, I wonder are they worth chancing for the fairly reasonable price (4 packs of Blonde/Dark/Triple Hop 10.5% abv - not sure if 250ml or 330 ml - for €10).

If it's the Piraat/Gulden Draak packs then they're pretty good for a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

New Kinnegar Brewers at Play 14 Hazy Session IPA. Very nice, very murky, and a little bit more bitterness that what most other breweries are doing in that style is nice and refreshing!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭flended12

BPKS wrote: »

Yup, and for 1.95 or whatever it is for a 7.5% bomb its lovely stuff! Careful now, it gets you drunk from the ankles down.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Having this now, It's an aquire taste and pretty heavy

Edit- verdict is its OK but could only handle 1 or 2 of them. It's not the best but not the worst either

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Bit surprised to see a lot of 4 packs from Sierra Nevada and Brewdog in Lidl today... all 4 for 10 euro I think. The Sierra Nevada certainly were.

Sierra Nevada pale ale
    Sierra Nevada California IPA
    Sierra Nevada Hazy little thing

Brewdog Punk
    Brewdog Elvis Juice
    Brewdog Dead Pony

This was Lidl Cabra East / Old Cabra Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Bit surprised to see a lot of 4 packs from Sierra Nevada and Brewdog in Lidl today... all 4 for 10 euro I think. The Sierra Nevada certainly were.

Sierra Nevada pale ale
    Sierra Nevada California IPA
    Sierra Nevada Hazy little thing

Brewdog Punk
    Brewdog Elvis Juice
    Brewdog Dead Pony

This was Lidl Cabra East / Old Cabra Road.

Yeah same in my local Lidl, surprisingly good selection. Also some Franciscan Well 4 packs and some Bru 440ml cans. More than likely limited time only as it would eat into their own brand sales

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Had a Brú Tutti Frutti last night, very nice tropical ipa.

Also had a Canvas Pixel amber pale ale. Didn't like this at all, very cidery taste. Reminded me of one of my first homebrews.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Had a Brú Tutti Frutti last night, very nice tropical ipa.

Also had a Canvas Pixel amber pale ale. Didn't like this at all, very cidery taste. Reminded me of one of my first homebrews.

Canvas seem to be rather inconsistent from my own experience & reviews from others.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Canvas beers are mixed fermentation though are they not?

• Advertisement

irish_goat wrote: »
    Canvas beers are mixed fermentation though are they not?

Mixed as is in the secondary fermentation happens in the can? If so, yes I think they are. It still doesn't account for how mine tasted. I'm no expert by any means but the cidery taste that I got happened to my homebrew when the fermentation temperature was too high.

Mixed as is in the secondary fermentation happens in the can? If so, yes I think they are. It still doesn't account for how mine tasted. I'm no expert by any means but the cidery taste that I got happened to my homebrew when the fermentation temperature was too high.

Multiple yeasts used, wild ones and that kind of thing I think.

Multiple yeasts used, wild ones and that kind of thing I think.

Possibly, anyway it wasn't for me. Having a Wicklow Wolf Espresso Stout now. Very nice, they are quickly becoming my favourite brewery.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Having this now, It's an aquire taste and pretty heavy

Edit- verdict is its OK but could only handle 1 or 2 of them. It's not the best but not the worst either

Really interested in getting my paws on one of these Brennan’s Original. I know I’ve seen them in shops but I never paid any attention to what it was... I love the idea of it bring a small brewery which only makes this beer.

Will look out for it in Wexford town as I do know I’ve seen it.

Made somewhere in Wexford (county) isn’t it?

Made somewhere in Wexford (county) isn’t it?

Courtown I think...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's brewed at Dundalk Bay. Brennan's is one of the worst offenders for allowing customers to believe their beer comes from somewhere it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

BeerNut wrote: »
    It's brewed at Dundalk Bay. Brennan's is one of the worst offenders for allowing customers to believe their beer comes from somewhere it doesn't.
    I don't think Sullivans in brewed in Kilkenny, despite the taproom, either?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I don't think Sullivans in brewed in Kilkenny, despite the taproom, either?
    Yeah, AFAIK they moved to Dundalk Bay from Boyne Brewhouse when it shut up shop. The taproom makes the occasional special, but the main beers have always been contracted.

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »

That’s it’s mystique gone for me so... I loved the idea of a small brewery just brewing the one beer. Will still try it though... when I can find it.

Their website states...

“...the eagerly awaited launch of Brennan’s Brewery (and its’ new creations), honors the culmination of years of testing and adapting unique brewing techniques to deliver the perfect dark beer, produced in this modest family brewery in Courtown county Wexford, in the southeast of Ireland.”

Even their address is...

Brennan's Brewery, Courtown Harbour.
    Gorey, Co Wexford, Ireland

When you follow their eircode it brings you to an Angling shop in Courtown.

Advertisement