Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Just to be contrary (and I've been a Mikkeller fan since 2008) I think the beers that To Øl brews for them (Hop Opera, Game of Thrones) are much lower quality than the ones they get brewed at De Proef. That could just be my dislike of mucky hazy IPAs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 l14masasddadsg

BeerNut wrote: »
    Just to be contrary (and I've been a Mikkeller fan since 2008) I think the beers that To Øl brews for them (Hop Opera, Game of Thrones) are much lower quality than the ones they get brewed at De Proef. That could just be my dislike of mucky hazy IPAs though.

I thought the IPAs that came from De Proef were average enough too, probably preferring To Ol's iterations myself.

As an aside, De Proef seems like an incredibly well-run brewery, this video is worth a look if you haven't seen it.

As an aside, De Proef seems like an incredibly well-run brewery
    When it's somebody else's beer on the line you're less likely to take shortcuts, I guess :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Enjoying a mixed case of St mels at the moment. Had a brown ale, stout and finished with an IPA. All very good I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Had a can of the Mikkeller Game of Thrones IPA, not bad but leaves a bit of an unpleasant aftertaste, much like the show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Was in Aldi earlier and saw "Strana" Czech-style Pilsner. Seems to be from Pearse Lyons. Anyone else ever had it? Couldn't say no to grabbing a bottle at €1.29.

Was in Aldi earlier and saw "Strana" Czech-style Pilsner. Seems to be from Pearse Lyons. Anyone else ever had it? Couldn't say no to grabbing a bottle at €1.29.
    Yes, it's pretty good except for the skunking. I suspect it's the same liquid as Tesco's Manislav. A bargain either way.

Yes, it's pretty good except for the skunking. I suspect it's the same liquid as Tesco's Manislav. A bargain either way.

That would make sense. And make it a gem of a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Got a few to have tomorrow night so will report back Saturday

BPKS wrote: »
    Got a few to have tomorrow night so will report back Saturday

Ha ha.

I reckon I'll be tucking into mine tonight. :)

Will be nice to have something at that price point to go directly head to head with a bottle of Veltins I have.

It's been my go to cheap pilsner the last few weeks since SV Heuston have had a heap in stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Brú have really upped their game of late. Currently sipping on a Double Panda Tiramisu Stout. Rich and boozy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,145 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Passenger wrote: »
    Brú have really upped their game of late. Currently sipping on a Double Panda Tiramisu Stout. Rich and boozy.

Had one of their ipas recently, the new series they released last year. It was in Lidl so I gave it a go. Thought it was fairly poor and not a patch on so much of what's available. Never really found any of their stuff to be anything bar average at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I love the intense stouts that have a collision of sweetness and the booziness to cut through it.

But this past winter there looks to have been a spike in 'pastry' or 'dessert' stouts, where there's just a geansaí load of sugar dumped in and it looks like a cheap bandwagon jump.

I too think Brú have seriously upped their game since they acquired carrig and I hope double panda adds to this by falling into the former category I mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I love the intense stouts that have a collision of sweetness and the booziness to cut through it.

But this past winter there looks to have been a spike in 'pastry' or 'dessert' stouts, where there's just a geansaí load of sugar dumped in and it looks like a cheap bandwagon jump.

I too think Brú have seriously upped their game since they acquired carrig and I hope double panda adds to this by falling into the former category I mentioned.
    Yeah winter really was about the sickly sweet stouts. I don’t mind sweetness in beers but it can get too much at times and some of the Pastry Stouts are ridiculous.

Browar Stu Mostów x Whiplash - Old School Imperial Stout, as the name suggests was a lovely throwback to proper RIS’s. Liquorice, bitter chocolate, roasted malts, vanilla. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I had the double panda recently and thought it was a bit too sweet. Not bad though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Metalman Heat Sink smoked chilli porter, absolutely rotten. Might have to tip this down the sink.

Edit: Being the tight ba$tard that I am I finished it. Did not enjoy at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

An old bottle of Founders KBS. Lovely stuff.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Drinking one at the moment and very much enjoying it. I've only ever been disappointed by Bru in the past, but I decided to take a chance as this looked like it was tailor made for me. Glad I did, it's a big step up from anything of theirs I've had before.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ilyag

I had a Cherry Timmermans Kriek recently. Mild and not too sweet.

Zaph wrote: »
    Drinking one at the moment and very much enjoying it. I've only ever been disappointed by Bru in the past, but I decided to take a chance as this looked like it was tailor made for me. Glad I did, it's a big step up from anything of theirs I've had before.

I've been ignoring them as well for the same reason. Even having the bar right beside me in Kilmainham wasn't tempting enough to call in.

Will take this advice now.

• Advertisement

I've been ignoring them as well for the same reason. Even having the bar right beside me in Kilmainham wasn't tempting enough to call in.

Will take this advice now.

Their original beers were very bad, but since they acquired Carrig brewing, they have improved.
    Granted they're just sticking their name on Carrigs beers, but technically it counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I had the Tutti Frutti and Panda Nero last year and enjoyed them. Nothing earth shattering but good solid beers.

matrim wrote: »
    I had the Tutti Frutti and Panda Nero last year and enjoyed them. Nothing earth shattering but good solid beers.

Their range is largely generic but there were some stand outs, their red ipa Atlantic odyssey was nice, king Nelson and the belgian trippl they have out at the moment too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Loved King Nelson, Osiris my favourite of the Core range. Coalface (Black IPA) hasn't made a reappearance since the merger - that was my favourite and regular of the Carrig beers. An old Brú favourite of mine was Darkside that disappeared with the merger too now I think of it.

since they acquired Carrig brewing, they have improved.
    Granted they're just sticking their name on Carrigs beers, but technically it counts.
    Other way around. Carrig acquired them, and the right to stick the BRÚ name on their own beers.

Other way around. Carrig acquired them, and the right to stick the BRÚ name on their own beers.

Sounds, thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

See the full strength Sierra Nevada Hazy Little Thing is back in pint cans. Haven't seen it in a few years. Hope it's as good as I remember it being.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Blisterman wrote: »
    See the full strength Sierra Nevada Hazy Little Thing is back in pint cans. Haven't seen it in a few years. Hope it's as good as I remember it being.

Is Hop Bullet easily available in Ireland, one of my go to beers. They have also stopped producing Summerfest this year, releasing a Session IPA instead.

Is Hop Bullet easily available in Ireland
    Pretty much, yes.

• Advertisement

I've just finished a bottle of Smokey Li, I don't usually go for smoked beers but this was quite enjoyable. Strong, but very smooth and drinkable.

Advertisement