Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

Had a northern monk new world ipa tonight that I picked up a few cheap enough in Tesco NI recently.

Lovely beet, 6.2% but you wouldn’t feel it drinking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

ToØl - #05 DIPA. Juicy, Hazy, nice fruity pineapple.

ToolDipa05_600x_crop_center.png?v=1620653236

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Anyone mad enough to splash the cash on one of those ridiculously priced Omnipollo Lassi beers?

€19 for a 500ml can!!!

I was in Molloys earlier and saw the price and thought it was a typo, but nope, same price on Craft Central. Madness. Surely we’ve reached peak craft?

"Only" €16 in N21 in Limerick. Still wouldn't buy it tho.
    I did pay nearly €11 for the latest Imperial Stout offering from Galway Bay - Counting the Days.
    That's about as high as I'd go for a can.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

"Only" €16 in N21 in Limerick. Still wouldn't buy it tho.
    I did pay nearly €11 for the latest Imperial Stout offering from Galway Bay - Counting the Days.
    That's about as high as I'd go for a can.

They’re not even high abv.

I’ve paid high amounts for certain beers down through the years but they would’ve all been high abv beers, so it would pretty much align them with buying a decent bottle of wine. Or actually, given the crazy prices wines can be, it would’ve been a reasonably price wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I picked up four bottles from West Kerry Brewing off the back of various recommendations in this thread.

Beal Ban (golden ale) was all malt for me. Vintage ale was ok, but nothing mind blowing. Cul Dorcha (old ale) was lacking body but otherwise ok. But Carraig Dhubh (Porter) was hands down the stand out of the lot. Beautifully balanced with gorgeous roasted malt, light coffee. Pleasant mouthfeel and body to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I see craft central have some Evil Twin Stay Home 18 in stock. Gets a massive 4.40 on Untappd.

If you like alcoholic smoothies then this is for you. This is seriously good... but seriously expensive.

If you deserve a treat then let this be it.

https://craftcentral.ie/collections/frontpage/products/evil-twin-nyc-et-stay-home-18-sour-ale-473ml-can-7-0-abv?variant=39329207484451

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭JoeLapira

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Anyone mad enough to splash the cash on one of those ridiculously priced Omnipollo Lassi beers?

€19 for a 500ml can!!!

I was in Molloys earlier and saw the price and thought it was a typo, but nope, same price on Craft Central. Madness. Surely we’ve reached peak craft?

I've splashed out on 2 of em and honestly for me they were worth the 15 quid each I paid for them. Keep on eye on their webshop though, they regularly do bianca bundles. I think they had 11 cans of 10 different biancas plus 2 glasses for 130 there recently with free shipping so works out less than 13 a beer. Obviously 130 quid is still alot but it's actually good value

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

JoeLapira wrote: »
    I've splashed out on 2 of em and honestly for me they were worth the 15 quid each I paid for them. Keep on eye on their webshop though, they regularly do bianca bundles. I think they had 11 cans of 10 different biancas plus 2 glasses for 130 there recently with free shipping so works out less than 13 a beer. Obviously 130 quid is still alot but it's actually good value

If there are any decent Omnipollo deals you come across please feel free to share here!

If there are any decent Omnipollo deals you come across please feel free to share here!

https://omnipollo.com/products/copy-of-big-bianca-lassi-gose-bundle-4

https://omnipollo.com/products/imperial-hops-bundle-2

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Tomorrow's pay day, so started looking around. Can't bring myself to pay that much for the Galway Bay, despite how much I love non-barrel aged imperials!

• Advertisement

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Tomorrow's pay day, so started looking around. Can't bring myself to pay that much for the Galway Bay, despite how much I love non-barrel aged imperials!

Quite shocked by the price aswell, will still probably buy Iit though 🀣

Macy0161 wrote: »

Given the ABV, I’m not sure why they didn’t opt for 330ml cans for more units and lesser price. A 12% stout in the 440ml form factor, wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

having a few bottles of the Guinness West Indies Porter

Its quite a nice beer and goes down nicely but at 6% it is strong enough

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

Rye River - High Moon. Latest in their seasonal small batch brews. A prickly pear and blood orange fruited sour.
    It's a tasty drop, getting that citrussy sharpness and good range of flavour. Seems slightly flat though, I don't mind flatter beers (drink plenty of porters, cask ales) but I just feel like a bit more effervescence would have helped this, like it helps to impart the citrus and sourness across the mouth or something.
    The bar on sours is very high currently though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Crooked Stave Sour Rita - Lime, Salt and Orange. Loved it, fresh, lovely hit of lime, only mildly sour which was fine given the flavours involved. Really impressed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Just starting in to my second bottle of Rocket Ship arrived today as part of a package deal, early days but feels like a serious kick off it and it's easy drink, https://www.blacksbrewery.com/shop/rocketship-ipa-6-5-12x500ml-bottles/

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Knightofcydonia

Wicklow wolf takes two the tango, very nice. Really enjoying sours lately, this one isn't a face puckering beer. I'll be picking up some more of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Wicklow wolf takes two the tango, very nice. Really enjoying sours lately, this one isn't a face puckering beer. I'll be picking up some more of these.

It's a lovely beer, I rarely drink the same beer a few nights in a row, had it 3 nights straight last week.
    It's a one of batch that hasn't been kegged at all.

Problem with them is you can only ever get the good stuff for about a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Had it last night and wasn't overly impressed, not particularly sour and fruit flavours were a bit bland. More of a mild sour but I guess some may like that. Have the Wicklow Wolf Raindrop lined up for tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Knightofcydonia

Had it last night and wasn't overly impressed, not particularly sour and fruit flavours were a bit bland. More of a mild sour but I guess some may like that. Have the Wicklow Wolf Raindrop lined up for tonight

Yea, I think that's what I enjoyed about it. The fact that it is a mild sour... I've had my fair share of heavily soured beers over the last while that I found this one a refreshing change. Let us know how you get on with Raindrop.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,006 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I think that's the attraction for many.
    I'm a sour beer fiend - I'd drink ode lambic for breakfast - but I still really enjoyed the overall balance of this beer.
    Too many sour "beers" just don't taste of beer to me, at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Had Raindrop last week, thought it was a bit thin on flavour, would probably be lovely chilled to absolute buggery.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Lervig Orange Velvet IPA (5.5%). Perfect for a late afternoon beer in the sunshine. It says it has a touch of tangerine and vanilla, I can definitely get the vanilla.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Lervig Orange Velvet IPA (5.5%). Perfect for a late afternoon beer in the sunshine. It says it has a touch of tangerine and vanilla, I can definitely get the vanilla.

One of my all time favourites. I try to pick up a can when I see it. To Øl had a similar beer not so long ago (Chugwork Orange) but Lervig’s effort was better balanced IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

adrian522 wrote: »

It's smashing.
    Like a super split ice pop, absolute summer drink.

Finally had a fiesta nuda last night. It has a huge sweet profile but it is an authentic brown sugar taste, not like the synthetic garbage we've had of late. But also importantly, it had a more mature abv to cut through the sweetness.
    So as was said, it does have a high sweetness but it is handled excellently.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭toffeeshel

Had a Northern Monk cherry cola sour last night. Strange aroma when opened, I kinda enjoyed it. Could definitely get the cherry cola flavours. I have a couple more for today

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ravn

Enjoying a nice Paulaner Slavator. Its a double bock and i usually avoid stronger beers but this is going down well. tasty stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,416 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I think that's the attraction for many.
    I'm a sour beer fiend - I'd drink ode lambic for breakfast - but I still really enjoyed the overall balance of this beer.

:):):D:D;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Astronauts & Crosses by Pentrich Brewing Co,
    Penny Floater by Howling Hops.

Advertisement