Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,103 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Well they have removed the word chocolate from the label.

Yep noticed that when drinking it, it's now a milk stout, still never noticed them saying they'd changed it so assumed twas the same thing as before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Two new porters from Galway Bay. Cherry one at 6.2% and an Imperial at 9% both were pretty meh.

€5.50 for the imperial 330ml in Brewdock so reasonable enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Hmmmm not looking good for gbb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

They changed head brewer relatively recently, he's probably still finding his feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Molloys have another collaboration with Rascals out at the moment. It's a Christmas Pale Ale (whatever that is!).

Not as nice as the one they had out for the Euros but it's very drinkable.

• Advertisement

Having a Smithwick's

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

A few bottles of lindemans kriek.. so much cherry...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Can of Pizzaport Swami IPA.

Fantastic beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Sipping an Easy Lover, almost bought some Stone IPA's but was somewhat put off by a guy stacking the shelf infront of them... Maybe next week.

That Kreik though, it's shamefully delicious. It's basically an alcopop. :p

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

RasTa wrote: »
    Two new porters from Galway Bay. Cherry one at 6.2% and an Imperial at 9% both were pretty meh.

Tried both this evening and I have to agree. Both drinkable, but I wouldn't be rushing to part with my hard earned for a second in either case.

• Advertisement

anything crafty in Mullingar. I'll be spending a night there next weekend.

Thread about it 6/5 years ago, may be out of date...

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056186451

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Download the Beoirfinder app. Theres a few spots listed for mullingar

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

GBB's Black Forest. Really enjoying this. Quite smooth and nicely balanced.

Kinnegar Devil's Backbone and Yannaroddy. Both are really nice, the porter is more my thing simply because porter is more my thing.

Passenger wrote: »
    GBB's Black Forest. Really enjoying this. Quite smooth and nicely balanced.

I had a glass in the Brew Dock the other night, couldn't detect any cherry at all.

On the other hand they had Cask Barrel Aged Diving Bell :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭crkball6

Thornbridge Cocoa Wonderland

One of the few "chocolate" porter/stouts that actually has a hint of chocolate on it. 1 is probably enough after food and you can skip desert :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Slightly off topic but I was in Lomdon last week and was very impressed by the craft beer on offer. Just got me thinking that the last few times I've been out in Dublin I've been a bit disappointed in the beer available. I find all the GBB bars are no choc full of their own beers with very little room left for any others. I get they want bigger margins and they're not the only ones with an absolutely tiny amount of beers on rotation.
    Anyone got any recommendations for city centre pubs with new stuff regularly available?

I know we are quite spoiled in Dublin and I'm generally happy with the pubs here but surely there's always room to improve.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    I find all the GBB bars are no choc full of their own beers with very little room left for any others.
    Really? Both Alfie's and Against the Grain have a very high turnover of guest beers I find.
    Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Anyone got any recommendations for city centre pubs with new stuff regularly available?
    P. Macs?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

BeerNut wrote: »
    P. Macs?

Nice spot alright but their tap rotation isn't that frequent though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Beer Market has a decent selection of rotationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Been a while but isn't beer market one of the worst for having mainly gbb and generic beers...Had the barrel aged chimay, nice but didn't think the barrel aging came through enough and not worth the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭jh79

P Macs was a bit of a disappointment for me today. I normally drink in the Salthouse or Oslo in galway and wanted to avoid a GBB bar but they do seem to be the best.

Try Mulligans in Stonybatter next time you're in Dublin looking for a decent selection?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭jh79

Try Mulligans in Stonybatter next time you're in Dublin looking for a decent selection?

Yeah didn't see the point of visiting a GBB bar seeing as the original ones are my local.

Will be up in Stonybatter tomorrow so will pop in, thought it was a restaurant rather than a bar?

jh79 wrote: »
    Yeah didn't see the point of visiting a GBB bar seeing as the original ones are my local.

Will be up in Stonybatter tomorrow so will pop in, thought it was a restaurant rather than a bar?

Bar in the front, restaurant at the back with food served all over. It's more of a gastropub than a restaurant. Great selection of beers on about 20 draught taps, 4 or 5 cask engines and a load of bottles and cans. Added bonus is it's proximity to DrinkStore across the road.

Loads of fantastic whiskey's too if that's your thing.

It's not the sort of place you'd go for a night out with the lads, but a meal with the other half and a few beers or a quiet one by yourself is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Rumun

Bar in the front, restaurant at the back with food served all over. It's more of a gastropub than a restaurant. Great selection of beers on about 20 draught taps, 4 or 5 cask engines and a load of bottles and cans. Added bonus is it's proximity to DrinkStore across the road.

Loads of fantastic whiskey's too if that's your thing.

It's not the sort of place you'd go for a night out with the lads, but a meal with the other half and a few beers or a quiet one by yourself is perfect.

Yeah right. Its my local
    Everything goes on saturdays, have seen people smoking joints at the beer garden, but food is quite good for a pub, decent beer selection( it use to be much better)

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

thanks for the suggestions, seems like a few places have reduced their selection over the past couple of years.
    Will try out L Mulligan though. Was in P Macs recently, not bad but the same beers there all the time.
    On another note, had Pressure Drop Bosko and Magic Rock hypnotist, both quality beers.
    Few pints of soundwave as well because I so rarely see it on tap here anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yum yum for the cask diving bell.

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »
    Yum yum for the cask diving bell.

yep.

Advertisement