Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It wouldn't work flat. Flat is the opposite of "outstanding condition". It's pretty regular across the JDW chain. You can use the app to check what's on where at any given time.

Is cask beer not manually pumped flat beer that’s done for dark beers? Or are they doing something else and calling it cask?

Cask beer is absolutely not "flat beer". The beer is conditioned (ie carbonated) in the cask, so it can lose its fizz if the beer doesn't sell through quickly and no other measures are taken. However, I'm reasonably sure that JDW uses cask breathers so help keep the beer carbonated as it's sold. Cask conditioned beer isn't as fizzy as force-carbonated, but when well kept it's far from flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Just to add, neither is cask beer served warm or at room temperature.

It should be cool - cellar temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Underwater Welding. A collab of Wicklow Wolf & Boundary Brewing. Triple dry hopped TIPA. It's fruity, floral and grassy.

• Advertisement

I want to try get that one. They’ve finally jumped the shark with the other one.

The “collab” with a very niche singer (ie he showed up for a photos and they stuck his name on the can).

Ah yes. That's right. Prob won't bother with that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Kinnegar Walla Walla is the hit of the night. Immense rhubarb hit (perfect pairing for a sour beer). Just moved to the top of my favourite sour beer list. In a word... superb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Piraat triple hop. A beast of a brew. Nobody can touch the Belgians.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I really like this, too, but I don't find it very sour, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

The classic Porterhouse oyster stout is apparently being replaced by Porterhouse Irish stout. I'm told its the exact same recipe but it doesn't taste so to me. Always though oyster stout was a good seller but maybe not.

Will have to give the Irish stout another try again to suss it out.

Well, it's the same recipe but without the oysters. 25 years is a good innings for a gimmick recipe. Well played, Oyster. Hit the showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,910 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It probably had only a homeopathic quantity of oysters anyway...

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Had a cupla draught beers for the first time in a long time last night.

Hopfully No Cars Fruited Hose - love it.

Trouble - Ambush, really nice.

Lervig Orange Velvet - did not enjoy, too strong in vanilla and it didn't work against the bitterness for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

Hello knowledgeable people - 2 queries that you might help me with … going from West Cork to Waterford - is there a good craft beer shop in Waterford or am I better off stopping in Cork (Bradley)?

and what would you rate as a better stout (than Guinness)? Leann Follain? Others?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Better than Guinness? Pretty much anything else for me. Leann Follain, Yannaroddy, O'Haras Stout, Porterhouse Plain, Galway Hooker Stout, Galway Bay Stormy Port etc etc etc.

The nitro O’Hara’s.

• Advertisement

To put it into context, I have a friend who only drinks Guinness as an alcoholic intake 😀, so wanted to introduce a few new ones to him. Personally the only ones I know off are LF, Beamish and Porterhouse Oyster, the last two of which are not easily available around the area I live in and that is why I have the first question about a craft beer shop in Waterford

World Wide Wines is worth a look for beer in Waterford.

I think the Sean's Export Stout from McGargles is very under-rated. Porterhouse XXXX is in Lidl at the moment and is excellent. But... I don't think your friend is a stout drinker so putting other stouts in front of him may not work as you plan. Good luck though!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,910 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Would also be interested in good craft beer off licence / pub recommendations in Waterford city as I'll be visiting soon.

Last time I was there was the day after Metalman bar closed!

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Finally found a beer with Chilli that I really like. Mayan Continuous Improvements from Cloudwater. Super thick and heavy imperial stout. Loads of dark chocolate and spice (ginger, cinnamon). The chilli hits more like a minor tingle instead of heat because the rest of the beer is so decadent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Yes, I'd agree on Sean's Export Stout being very good, and great VFM. Also, a shout for O'Hara's Dry Irish Stout - kinda gets lost in the noise of LF.

I'd also agree that Guinness drinkers the hardest to convert - father in law would go for IPA's and Red Ales over craft cans or bottles, even if he is partial to the Crafty Stout in lidl. Although he does like barrel aged season - he went big for Pointy Shoes last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

nice! i've been on the hunt for a nice chili beer for years. a local brewery to me, which has sadly closed (Old Mill) had a smoked chipotle chili stout which just needed a little tweaking and it would have been there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

My break from IPAs has consisted almost solely of German beers from Weihenstephaner & Ayinger. They've been top notch but now I'm worried I'm doing the same to them as I did to IPAs...!

Lineman's Further was an exceptionally good stout.

I told myself I wouldn't buy into TIPAs anymore (didn't get the Boundary Wicklow Wolf effort), but I'm a Whiplash fanboy at heart so had to pick their one up. Big, brash, warm IPA.

Hoping to get the Rye River 4 pack whenever it makes its way down this side of the country. I value the 4 pack being 4 different beers.

Visited World Wide Wines - as it was just up the road - great collection, thanks for the recommendation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Really enjoying Oak and Mirrors from Brehon at the moment.

And of course with the barrel aged Black Boar being available, I've been drinking that. Even bought some to put in the cellar, and ended up drinking some of them before they got there 😂

Advertisement