Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Pick up a 4 pack of Founders Redankulous in the local Next Door (Wicklow), think it was €3.99 a bottle. It's very drinkable and the 9.5% is not overbearing, worth a punt if you come across it.

reDANKulousTemporaryFeature.jpg

Yep I really liked this beer. But at 4 euro a bottle and the high % it's best to only have the 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Anyone tried Tropigamma by Beavertown? Bit reluctant at 6.50 a pop.
    Had Stateside by Mikeller last night, not overly impressed considering the price. Siren tidal wave was better but not as good as some DIPAs I've had recently.

Let ye know in a few hours. I bought it along with the espresso stout and the 750ml 8 degrees imperial stout.

€25 all in so not too bad imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Albert_Camus

RasTa wrote: »
    Let ye know in a few hours. I bought it along with the espresso stout and the 750ml 8 degrees imperial stout.

€25 all in so not too bad imo

I went with it too, and eight degrees stout, eight degrees farmhouse ale and the siren smoothie IPA.

Having the farmhouse ale now. So far so good!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,953 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That Farmhouse Ale is really nice.
    Nothing very strong or crazy from the wine barrel, just a really nicely made, classy beer.

I'd be curious to know what longer in the barrel might do.

That Farmhouse Ale is really nice.
    Nothing very strong or crazy from the wine barrel, just a really nicely made, classy beer.

I'd be curious to know what longer in the barrel might do.

Yep I'm really enjoying it. Familiar taste but can't think of the beer it reminds me of.
    I always find Eight Degrees stuff really solid (and reasonably priced)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yarghhh

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Anyone tried Tropigamma by Beavertown? Bit reluctant at 6.50 a pop.

Had it last night. If you liked/tried Brewdog Elvis Juice, an IPA tasting mostly of fruit with little bitterness, it's worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,103 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Had the GBB Black Forest Porter tonight, very underwhelmed, got some sour cherry initially, not much else of anything after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Superquinn have 4 Magic Rock for a tenner at the moment.

The High Wire APA is very good, and the Grapefruit IPA is decent too, probably not as good as Elvis Juice mind.

They also have a Gose and a regular IPA I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Where did folks buy their 8 degrees farmhouse? Especially if you did so in Dublin?

I'm on the southside, probably Baggot St Wines, they seem to get all the 8 degrees stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

What's the cost like too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Stout was €12.50, not sure of the farmhouse.

I wouldn't bother with the tropigamma, not worth the €6.50

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

jsa112 wrote: »
    What's the cost like too
    From the Eight Degrees press release:
    All of these limited edition beers are bottled into 750ml amber champagne-style bottles and are available either individually or in 2 x 750ml bottle gift packs (RRP €19.95).

Fearless Farmhouse Ale is your perfect Christmas table beer. It won’t shout too loudly over the turkey, will happily hang out with ham and doesn’t balk in the face of any cranberry relish-type shenanigans. It will happily settle down with some washed rind Irish cheeses at the end of the meal or play with smoked salmon at the start.
    RRP €7.95

Save The Bold Imperial Stout for the end of a meal and pair it with something sweet like Christmas pudding, a rich cranberry cheesecake or some quality vanilla ice cream. Also fantastic with tiramisu, absolutely mind blowing with Turkish Delight and works perfectly with that aged Irish blue on your cheeseboard.
    RRP €10.95

snowblind wrote: »
    Where did folks buy their 8 degrees farmhouse? Especially if you did so in Dublin?

I'm on the southside, probably Baggot St Wines, they seem to get all the 8 degrees stuff.

Yep Baggot St wines have them

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Not mad on saisons but would be interested to hear what the Eight Degrees Imperial Stout is like.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'll have to ask my local O'Brien's if they're getting the gift packs in. Very interested in both releases, so I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

The Fearless is pretty good but kinda baffling. The aroma is really close to Sima and I feel like there is a similar "cheap homebrew" feel to the flavour as well - boozy and a strange flavour to the yeast? However this is not such a big deal and doesn't overpower. Hopefully I'll get to try this on draught to see what's up, or sample another bottle.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Just got offered a job from now until June, so I'm celebrating in style (Donkey Ford's fish and chips for dinner, with a battered sausage :cool: ) and cracked open one of the bottles of Space Suit I'd been aging since last winter.

It is super stuff. I can't tell if it's matured nicely or if I just appreciate sour beers a bit more now, but either way it's all that I wanted it to be. :D

Give it a go, just to see if my tastebuds are working, would be interested to see what you think.

Had this a cupla nights back,was grand, like a slightly better version of a lager,wouldn't try a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Had a Red Ale, Pale ale and IPA from Western Heard tonight. All quite nice but all very samey.
    Grand yokes for a session I'd say.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

CianRyan wrote: »
    Had a Red Ale, Pale ale and IPA from Western Heard tonight. All quite nice but all very samey.
    Grand yokes for a session I'd say.
    They do love their Cascade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

BeerNut wrote: »
    They do love their Cascade.

Cascades and malt, that's the vibe I was getting. Had the Witbier last week, which while heavily flavoured with extras, was nice and definitely different from the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

Had a bottle of GBB Althea really enjoyed this. The fruit GBB manage to get hopping out of the glass is always staggering.

I remember having a glass of this around the time of Change of the guard came out does that mean Althea was created by the old brewer or one of the first of the new brewer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Chimay Cinq Cents.....nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Cast Iron

Rising Sons Brew Pub. Handsum IPA (proper hop bang upfront), Steeple Amber and Mi Daza stout. Enjoyed them all.

Also got a sample their current seasonal. Found it hard to hear the barman so didn't get the name but think he said its run through some citrus lines or something. Got a hint of cola for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Stone Xocoveza. On tap, it's something else. I got chocolate and coconut from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Stone Xocoveza. On tap, it's something else. I got chocolate and coconut from it.

beer_280743.jpg

Had this in The Beer Market. Absolutely delicious. Cinnamon, chocolate, Espresso. One of the best festive Porters I've ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

snowblind wrote: »

My Molloys have it so assume most do.

Finished off a great weekend in Dublin with a quick pint of Sweetman's seasonal Dunkelweiss. Wish I had more time to enjoy it before hopping on the bus. Gorgeous, smooth, flavours of nuts. Would recommend to a friend, would drink again.

Got two glasses of Galway Bay's Banished Sun in the Black Sheep last night. Again, very very nice. Had a sample of their Black Forest porter beforehand and couldn't pick up much of anything from it.

Had Rascals Mint Choc Stout, didnt enjoy it at all. The stout itself was a little acrid and the mint didnt come through until the very end and felt a little too mouthwash-ey to be enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Was in Mullingar Saturday evening.

Columbia is a good spot - owned by the same lads who have P Mac's and Cassidy's in Dublin - excellent beer selection, including a Framboise on tap, various 8 Degrees IPAs etc.

Advertisement