Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Had Rascals Mint Choc Stout, didnt enjoy it at all. The stout itself was a little acrid and the mint didnt come through until the very end and felt a little too mouthwash-ey to be enjoyable.

Yeah I thought it made it taste like toothpaste.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,103 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

BaZmO* wrote: »

There was definitely something medicinal/of the bathroom in there anyway, unpleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Funny, I liked it, bought and enjoyed a second. Anyway Dot Brew Champagne Beer, absolutely loved this, great tart finish, not overly boozy and lovely aroma.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Gave Sierra Nevada a second chance on Friday night when out with mates, and it disappointed again.

Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice, shame on me.

No third chance, Sierra Nevada!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Gave Sierra Nevada a second chance on Friday night when out with mates, and it disappointed again.

You better not be talking about Sierra Nevada Pale Ale!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

You better not be talking about Sierra Nevada Pale Ale!

I am indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

They do a LOT of other brews, all pretty delicious... As is the pale ale. :mad:
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

Normally I'd say each to their own, eye of the beholder and all that, but if you're ragging on Sierra Nevada Pale Ale I have to ask some questions.

What do you normally drink? Was it draught or bottle all the times that you had it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

I posted a few months ago about the Sierra Nevada pale ale, thought it was very average at best. Had it bottled and wouldn't be tempted to buy it again. Genuinely don't get the fuss over it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Ha ha I didnt think mine was minty at all Then again I only had half a bottle as I shared mine. Maybe the full bottle would have given more impact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,953 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I posted a few months ago about the Sierra Nevada pale ale, thought it was very average at best. Had it bottled and wouldn't be tempted to buy it again. Genuinely don't get the fuss over it

What do you normally drink?
    What do you think is an above average beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Did the #1 and #4 bar on Ratebeer for Tallinn over the weekend

The 1st - Koht - only opens at 5pm. Its basically a living room behind a bottle shop. Did get a slightly standoffish feel from the place and due to variety (sign claims minimum 699 different bottled beers, barmaid said >800) there isn't even the vaguest attempt at a menu/list. Whatever is on tap has a logo stuck on a specific wall.

Had a decent oatmeal imperial stout and a "tropical IPA" I can't remember the brewery of.

4th one - Hell Hunt - seems to totally ignore other Estonian breweries in favour of their own core range which was decent but nothing stellar. Much friendlier, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Chipping through my stash in recent weeks. I have to say, Mescan has grown on me big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Anyone have the list of Christmas specials from Irish breweries available this year? I wana start to plan my attack.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

The new BA stout from eight degrees is nice but could definitely do with more barrel ageing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Puca dry hopped lemon sour with berry hibiscus and ginger by White Hag.
    Great flavour and very refreshing.

Rhubarb Tart IPA by James Brown Brews.
    Only ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭CR 7

BeerNut wrote: »

Should we start a table to track all our progress drinking through the list?;) I'm at 11 so far, don't think I'll tick them all off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

G'Knight Imperial Red IPA from Oskar Blues Brewing. Really nice. Starts quite sweet, with lots of caramel and toffee but mellows at the end to take away the sweetness.

Had a Fearless Farmhouse ale last night, absolutely a quality drink.
    If Ireland had a Trappist brewery, that'd be it.
    Picked up another one today along with a pair of the Imperial Stout. :)

Tonight I've drank a Siera Navada Torpedo which are always great and I'm half way though a Jack Cody Duxie. Not as fresh tasting as the SN but still a really nice drink.

Also have a Galaxy and Supernova downstairs that may end up inside my belly. I'd need something to get through the Toy Show up be fair. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

CianRyan wrote: »
    Had a Fearless Farmhouse ale last night, absolutely a quality drink.
    Had one tonight. Not so sure about the barrel aging, but a really tasty tipple all the same. Some beers are just right in a 750ml bottle.

Yeah I'd agree with you there, there wasn't a huge tannin or other wine-ish hit but there were more dark fruit vibes that you'd expect from a darker beer.
    While it could benefit from longer aging it is a really good drink.
    I'm going to age one of the stouts and drink one fresh to see how they fair. Was thinking of aging the Fearless but not sure it'd keep well enough.

And I agree, it wouldn't seem right in a 330ml or 500ml.
    I've also drank the Supernova at this stage, quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

2015 founders kbs.

Seems to have mellowed out a bit. Top notch stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Rascals Double red IPA is great stuff. Also had Whiplash True Love Waits, nice beer, but light for this time of year but could imagine it would be perfect for summer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Rascals 8:01 Mint Choc Stout

Nice full bodied seasonal Stout though with little to no Mint flavors. Tasty but a tad generic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,103 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Passenger wrote: »
    Rascals 8:01 Mint Choc Stout

Nice full bodied seasonal Stout though with little to no Mint flavors. Tasty but a tad generic.

Mine was full on mouthwash aftertaste as i said last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Cast Iron

Heading into P Macs on Friday.

Anyone recommend what beer I should be drinking this week from their current line up?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Cast Iron wrote: »
    Heading into P Macs on Friday.

Anyone recommend what beer I should be drinking this week from their current line up?

Rascals Double Red IPA and whiplash true love waits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭janiejones

Had a Schneider aventinus last night. That and Vitus are as tasty as all these strong Christmas stouts going around for me
    Can anyone recommend a low abv, under 5%, 330 ml quality bottle at a competitive price. For all this Christmas day drinking at the in laws. Something nicer than miller/bud/heineken but isn't going to blow the head off me or bankrupt me. I'm leaning to 8 degrees barefoot bohemian at the moment but that's still 10.25 for 6 in o'briens sale

Advertisement