Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

janiejones wrote: »
    Had a Schneider aventinus last night. That and Vitus are as tasty as all these strong Christmas stouts going around for me
    Can anyone recommend a low abv, under 5%, 330 ml quality bottle at a competitive price. For all this Christmas day drinking at the in laws. Something nicer than miller/bud/heineken but isn't going to blow the head off me or bankrupt me. I'm leaning to 8 degrees barefoot bohemian at the moment but that's still 10.25 for 6 in o'briens sale

The best value Irish ales I find are the Aldi O'Shea's range brewed by O'Hara's. Don't know what the current price is but it's normally around the €2 mark. NB: They're 500ml bottles but only 4.3%.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Cousin Rosie. Freshness matters so always check the date and buy the youngest.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

BeerNut wrote: »
    Cousin Rosie. Freshness matters so always check the date and buy the youngest.

"BeerNut attracted to young cousins" :eek:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,103 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Had a bottle of Independent Currach Dubh this evening, ordinary enough, I should have known given their previous history.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,345 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

^
    Not tried that one, but in fairness their Pale Ale is probably the best generally available (in pubs) around our side of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

StBernardusABT12.jpg

St. Bernardus Abt 12 Belgian Ale

Had this on draught in The Beer Market. Dark, fruity, treacle flavours with a fairly moderate head. Apparently it's highly regarded and certainly worth a sup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Passenger wrote: »
    StBernardusABT12.jpg

St. Bernardus Abt 12 Belgian Ale

Had this on draught in The Beer Market. Dark, fruity, treacle flavours with a fairly moderate head. Apparently it's highly regarded and certainly worth a sup.

How much were they charging for a 33cl measure?

How much were they charging for a 33cl measure?

€7.00

Passenger wrote: »
    €7.00

That's a bit steep...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,953 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That's a bit steep...

Considering a 33cl bottle would set you back €4 - €5 in an offie, not really.

• Advertisement

That's a bit steep...

Standard fare tbh. What price should it be?

Considering a 33cl bottle would set you back €4 - €5 in an offie, not really.

That is also a bit steep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Kinnegar - Bucket Brigade

Delicious as always, really good

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

RasTa wrote: »
    Kinnegar - Bucket Brigade

Delicious as always, really good

Bucket Brigade? What type is that? I picked up some Black Bucket over the weekend but haven't tucked into it yet.

Just after opening a "The Fearless" barrle aged Saison from 8 Degrees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Tis a Red Rye IPA, 6.5%

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Black's The Irish Giant Barley Wine, lovely and only €3.50 at 11%

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

matrim wrote: »

Just after opening a "The Fearless" barrle aged Saison from 8 Degrees

Let us know what you think, I have my set just waiting for the weekend.
    The snow eater is back on the shelves too so that's been taking my attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Let us know what you think, I have my set just waiting for the weekend.
    The snow eater is back on the shelves too so that's been taking my attention.

It was very nice. A light bit of the saison spice and funk with maybe a bit of oak up front. And it finished with a dry light fruitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭janiejones

Had a sierra nevada big foot ale with a 2015 cap and an 8 degrees mor barleywine I bought last December and have been saving. 8 degrees comes out the surprise hands down winner.

I may have overdone it for a Tuesday night

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭St. Lupulin

Where the hell is Sierra Nevada Celebration?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

My local Molloys had them on sale Sunday just gone

I think P. Mac's has it on draught.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I'm currently just outside Nantes in France and beer choice isnt great to be honest but found a pub with a few differenet beers.

Grimbergen Rouge : strawberries and very cloying. Too sweet for me didnt finish it.

Grimbergen Brassin de Noël :Lovely brown/redcoloured beer. Malty and caramle with a slight spicy kick. Liked it but I think the beer before made it taste better than it was.

Even though France has a great beer scene I've generally found that the on-trade isn't really part of it. I've been places where there'll be great local beers in Carrefour but just Kronenbourg or Stella in the cafés.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Even though France has a great beer scene I've generally found that the on-trade isn't really part of it. I've been places where there'll be great local beers in Carrefour but just Kronenbourg or Stella in the cafés.

Yeah you are right. Havent had much time this week to get to a supermarket, might make a spin out to one at lunch today.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

janiejones wrote: »
    Had a sierra nevada big foot ale with a 2015 cap and an 8 degrees mor barleywine I bought last December and have been saving. 8 degrees comes out the surprise hands down winner.

I may have overdone it for a Tuesday night

I've been saving a bottle of Mór since last Christmas too. Looking forward to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

I've found the same in Spain.

And most of the time the nonstandard lager options in bars are Grimbergen or similar malty beers. Often wondered why this is.

Is it simply the case that malty beers are more to the taste of locals rather than hoppy pale ales?

On the other hand I was Italy last week and found a lot of bars to have good options.

And most of the time the nonstandard lager options in bars are Grimbergen or similar malty beers. Often wondered why this is.

Is it simply the case that malty beers are more to the taste of locals rather than hoppy pale ales?
    I'd say it's that the café only bothers with one beer supplier. Grimbergen and Kronenbourg come from the same brewery on the same truck. As soon as Carlsberg starts brewing a hoppy beer that'll be in the rep's catalogue as well, I'm sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Fresh has it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

White Gypsy's Yule Ól. First time trying it. Much classier design to the bottle this year. Quite enjoyable.

Advertisement