Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭JoeLapira

Finally got my hands on Shannon River IPA from Treaty City Brewing. Very floral taste and although i didnt enjoy first couple of sups, its grown on me and its turning out to be quite enjoyable beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭jh79

The New Batch of GBB's Foam and Fury, less malty more hoppy really good.

GBB / Whiplash Brown Porter (Touching the Scald) very malty and light bodied and at 4% a good session beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Drinking some bogman by Spidal River Brewery, tis alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭wobert

I have really missed foam & fury, hope it reappears in offie soon.
    I have a bottle of gbb banished sun for later, has any one tried it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I wasn't a fan, but I think it might age well in bottles.

• Advertisement

I'll leave it for a while so. Got 2 bottles of f&f in martins, they changed the label.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Not a huge lager fan anymore these days but I have to say Metalman's Blaager is very nice:)

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

How much is OFAF?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

jsa112 wrote: »
    How much is OFAF?

€6 a bottle I think, 2 ofaf and 2 banished sun came to €24

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Self Assembly Pope from Brew Dog

As Coconot porters go, Oskar Blues is better

Hope Export Porter is good.

Siren Primal Cut, I love this brewery.

• Advertisement

Siren Squealer.

Brett and Raspberry were made for each other.

What a beer.

Brett beers are so complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

blacks-high-vis-ipa.jpg

Blacks High Viz Double IPA

Blacks are one of the more consistent Irish brewery's imo and have enjoyed most of their output. High Viz is another. An easy to drink 8.5% ABV. Really flavoursome.

I thought f&f was amazing. Not how I remembered it from last time ,which I loved. I have a note to self to call to brewdock during the week for a glass to try from the tap.
    as jh79 mentioned above,I agree there is great hop note. Tasted really fresh.
    I didn't check the price when I bought it. Rising sun was €5 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Finally got around to a bottle of Yellow Belly tonight, really impressed with it, a top Imperial stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Saw blacks had a new limited edition range and against my better judgement picked up their red ipa.
    It was typical of all the blacks range I've tried, watery taste, absolutely no body and might as well have been any generic session ale.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Bogsnorkler

Saw blacks had a new limited edition range and against my better judgement picked up their red ipa.
    It was typical of all the blacks range I've tried, watery taste, absolutely no body and might as well have been any generic session ale.

Very harsh IMO, some of their stouts have been very good and their KPA is decent.

Still different strokes and that.

'Watery' appears to be par for the course with a lot of Irish breweries but Blacks are one of the better Irish brewers imho. World's End Imperial Stout is defiantly worth a sup.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Passenger wrote: »
    'Watery' appears to be par for the course with a lot of Irish breweries .

Agreed. A friend worded it better than I could when he suggested this I soar the course for all breweries when they transition from micro to macro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭CR 7

Got to try some of New York's best beers last week. All of Brooklyn's current lot (or at least all the ones on their chalkboard). My favourites were the Dark Lager - I'm always a fan of a well made light but well flavoured dark lager, and the 2 limited releases - particularly the Naranjito, it's a nice change to get a citrus-y pale ale that tastes of something other than grapefruit peel. But all of the beers were good enough that I'd have tried again if I had the time. Of course, it helped that I didn't have to queue (or pay) for the beer. The queue was so long that most people went for the strategy of buying 2 beers at a time, and keeping one to drink while queuing for the next round.:P

BCTL3PE.jpg?1

Then on to a few of the other smaller but equally good breweries spread around Brooklyn. The best for me is Other Half, they've such a big range of top quality beers for such a small brewery. Again, I didn't taste a single beer I wouldn't buy more of, and I think I managed to taste all of them. My highlights were 'Stacks on Stacks', a Double Dry Hopped IIPA, and a bourbon barrel aged version of 'We've Been Out There In Orbit", their Imperial Stout. Not too sure about their choices of names, but the beer is fantastic. On another note, the tap room set-up most breweries have over there is a great system, get to drink the freshest beer (and drink it with the people brewing it in most cases). Hopefully the politicians here see some sense soon.

Photo's a bit blurry, but clear enough to make out the ABVs to explain why.:o
    hqlb92V.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Their stuff is a bit mixed but they've done some really great stuff, namely the World's End Imperial Stout and their KPA is a fine pale ale too. Hi Viz is also lovely, a double IPA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Last week - La Chouffe

On draught, strong ale, 8%, I don't recall anything remarkable about it, but it was nice.

3/4 pint = 6.00

This week Boon Framboise

On draught, 5%. Not sweet, which is good. Not so sour as you'd pucker your mouth.

Easier to drink as you get used to it, although not difficult to drink at the start, either.

3/4 pint = 6.00

Frank Boon seems very sound, from what I read about him, so I like to support him.

New imperial stout from new Lough Gill brewery in Sligo

Described as imperial oatmeal coffee cream stout, 11%.

Also described as "Onward brewing project"?

Draught 3/4 pint = 6.00

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Geuze wrote: »
    Last week - La Chouffe

On draught, strong ale, 8%, I don't recall anything remarkable about it, but it was nice.

3/4 pint = 6.00

This week Boon Framboise

On draught, 5%. Not sweet, which is good. Not so sour as you'd pucker your mouth.

Easier to drink as you get used to it, although not difficult to drink at the start, either.

3/4 pint = 6.00

Frank Boon seems very sound, from what I read about him, so I like to support him.

New imperial stout from new Lough Gill brewery in Sligo

Described as imperial oatmeal coffee cream stout, 11%.

Draught 3/4 pint = 6.00

Might be worth pointing out where you were drinking these.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

That's the company name, trading as Lough Gill.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Might be worth pointing out where you were drinking these.

Sorry.

Swagman pub, Wine street, Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Sorry.

Swagman pub, Wine street, Sligo.

That's a great pub.

Drinking a Farami by Whiplash/Otterbank/3FE

This is a lovely oatmeal coffee stout, has an almost cask quality from the can, which is not surprising given it's Otterbank.

Lovely stuff.

Couple of Crooked Stave now, first up is the Petite Sour Blueberry.

Lovely sourness from Lacto in here, and the fruit comes across.

Hop Savant up next, I already tasted a small glass of this over the xmas, looking forward to the full bottle of that bretty awesomeness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I had a FOAF in Brewdock after work the other day and a Hexed the day after waiting for the train.

Big difference between the two but I prefer Hexed.

Rye Hammer tonight is also a good one.

RasTa wrote: »
    I prefer Hexed.

Same. It is delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Chuppa Siopa

RasTa wrote: »
    I had a FOAF in Brewdock after work the other day and a Hexed the day after waiting for the train.

Big difference between the two but I prefer Hexed.

Rye Hammer tonight is also a good one.

Had first Rye Hammer earlier, really liked it.

Advertisement