Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Agree on Hexed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Just enjoyed a Brewdog Self assembly Pope. A vanilla coconut porter.
    Not as good as Oskars coconut porter but really nice all the same.
    If you don't like coconut or that suncream smell then stay away.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

Do they intend on bottling Hexed?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭LastLagoon

Galway hooker is utter piss
    Had it for first time in ages as I've drank my local SuperValu out of Sierra Nevada torpedo ,which was the only decent beer they had
    Their shelves are stacked with faux craft beer, that journeyman piss (who is behind that crap??) , kenmare (****e), mcgargles,Oharas ,Kevin dundons ****e (proclamation porter??*****).
    At least there is an offie within driving distance where I can get Galway bay brewery stuff,kinnegar and a rake of good American stuff but got caught out bad tonoght

• Registered Users Posts: 68,625 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Journeyman is from the US it seems. Rather a huge leap to claim O'Haras to be "faux craft"; or Kemmare just because you dislike it. McGargles have some fairly good products. One of the more knowlegable posters will know if Arthurstown is contract or not.

You are allowed not like a beer, but trying to re-categorise it because of that is bollox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

Journeyman is from the US it seems

It's actually called "The Journeyman" and it comes from Station Works brewery in Newry who also brew "The foxes rock" among others. The american beer is called Journeyman's Pale Ale and is brewed by Tradesman Brewing Co who are based in South Carolina
    http://www.tradesmanbrewing.com/beer_type/year-round/

LastLagoon wrote: »
    Galway hooker is utter piss
    Had it for first time in ages as I've drank my local SuperValu out of Sierra Nevada torpedo ,which was the only decent beer they had
    Their shelves are stacked with faux craft beer, that journeyman piss (who is behind that crap??) , kenmare (****e), mcgargles,Oharas ,Kevin dundons ****e (proclamation porter??*****).
    At least there is an offie within driving distance where I can get Galway bay brewery stuff,kinnegar and a rake of good American stuff but got caught out bad tonoght

I think out of all the bargain crafts the Kenmare IPA isn't too bad. Not a fan of the PA though but the IPA is the best of those 4 for e10 offers.

Actually the McGargles Cousin Rosie is ok, I've had pints on two occasions when in a pub with limited options.
    Banging Francis is widely accepted to be a nice beer... definitely one of my favourites(though a 3 for e9 and not 4 for e10)

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Enjoyed this last night

bh758.jpg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,106 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

To Ol Gose North last night, really liked it, very sour for my taste but a nice crisp dry finish. Had a pint of Hooker later, grand as always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Anybody else find it odd that Off licenses are selling beer kits?

Surprised to see them around Molloys and Carry Out in D15

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Good old fashioned pint of Guinness last night.
    Twas grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭jh79

For tonight have 2 new ones, 8 degrees smoked brown ale and sour ipa and an old favourite , Arrogant Bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

image_46c5e8fb-4236-4c1a-a581-1a796197078e_grande.jpg?v=1479239015

Northern Monk Double Heathen IPA

Fresh and flavourful. Medium bodied and a smooth and easily drinkable 10% ABV Imperial IPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

Brown Bear IPA

Just opened one of these. Took off the cap, it foamed all over me, my chair, the floor etc. When I finally got it to the sink, I tasted what was left (from a glass) and then poured it down the sink.

I got this from my son who tells me that he brought three. Neither of his foamed but he did not finish either. He warned me before I opened it that it was not good.

i think it refermented in the bottle but am not an expert technically. I do have 50 years beer experience and can say that it was dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

sceach16 wrote: »
    Brown Bear IPA

Just opened one of these. Took off the cap, it foamed all over me, my chair, the floor etc. When I finally got it to the sink, I tasted what was left (from a glass) and then poured it down the sink.

I got this from my son who tells me that he brought three. Neither of his foamed but he did not finish either. He warned me before I opened it that it was not good.

i think it refermented in the bottle but am not an expert technically. I do have 50 years beer experience and can say that it was dire.

Pity you didn't read previous posts about this it would have saved you the bother and cleaning up! Dire stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Was in Manchester at the weekend and had a couple of new beers:

Cloudwater Sorachi Ace Grisette - very light bodied, slight sourness and nice breadiness. Bit too light for this time of year
    Squawk Saison - great beer, bitter, wheaty and lots of carbonation.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

This last night and it was lovely. Not my picture.

15057325_319954611724769_4163052546643984384_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTM4MjAzMTk0NjU2MTYzMTQ1Ng%3D%3D.2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

sceach16 wrote: »
    Brown Bear IPA

I though it was a lovely beer...nice burnt orange peel citrus flavours

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I though it was a lovely beer...nice burnt orange peel citrus flavours

Ah so you are the person who keeps buying it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Galway bay are brewing another batch of Hexed today! Wooohooooo!!

That hop bill is serious...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BP4yB07B63w/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

laros wrote: »
    It's actually called "The Journeyman" and it comes from Station Works brewery in Newry who also brew "The foxes rock" among others. The american beer is called Journeyman's Pale Ale and is brewed by Tradesman Brewing Co who are based in South Carolina
    http://www.tradesmanbrewing.com/beer_type/year-round/

That Station Works Journeyman beer is pure and utter widdle. They have the Journeyman range, Foxes Rock and also some other stuff that they churn out for the likes of Lidl and Aldi - tried most of it, and it all tastes of metal which is not a quality I look for in a beer. Cheap, mass produced crap masquerading as craft beer. No thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Pity you didn't read previous posts about this it would have saved you the bother and cleaning up! Dire stuff.

Is that by Station Works as well? they are fast coming my pet hate in the craft beer world.

Hexed is coming in bottles. Good news

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Hexed is coming in bottles. Good news

They seem to be bringing more of their specials to bottles recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I guess we're seeing the fruits of their brewery expansion. It's great to see. Also impressed that OFAF has been improved in bottles IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

LastLagoon wrote: »
    Kevin dundons ****e (proclamation porter??*****).

The Arthurstown one? Thought it was quite nice.

I guess we're seeing the fruits of their brewery expansion. It's great to see. Also impressed that OFAF has been improved in bottles IMO.
    Foam is better than the last 20 odd batches for sure :D The aroma from the new batch is exactly like the original, The flavour hopping seems different, and the malt seems very different. I think this batch is dryer too. I like it, but for me its not as good as the original. Hexed is the new benchmark!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Had a pint of the GGB/Whiplash colab Touching The Scald in The Beer Market the other night. Brown Porter, 4% ABV. It was grand, a little too light bodied but had some distinctive flavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

The Arthurstown one? Thought it was quite nice.

I agree. Nice beer. I'll be honest I was skeptical of the beers when I saw a 'celebrity chef' on the bottle, but I find their beers nice - not amazing but solid. Proclamation porter being one of their better ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Lagunitas 12th of Never cans are so good. On my California trip I drank a ton of them as they were under 20 bucks for a 12 pack, but I'll still pay the 3 blips a can here because it beats the competitor pale ales. Yellowbelly Citra gets close but only available on draft

Advertisement