Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Did you get the lost coast beer here? I went to that brewery a few years back, they have some good stuff.

Their Great White wheat beer is lovely and they also have a nice Oatmeal stout called 8 Ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

I know Belgium is a hotbed for breweries, but I'm off to Amsterdam in the morning, is there any hidden gems I need to be looking out for in the way of pubs or breweries?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭CR 7

VW 1 wrote: »
    I know Belgium is a hotbed for breweries, but I'm off to Amsterdam in the morning, is there any hidden gems I need to be looking out for in the way of pubs or breweries?

De Prael and T'Ij for breweries, and Arendsnest for bar are my favourites anyway. All very easy to get to from centraal station.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Gollem on Raamsteeg is a superb bar.

BeerNut wrote:
    Gollem on Raamsteeg is a superb bar.

Its right down on the waterfront isn't it? I passed this when I was over a few months ago on a day trip, didn't have time to pop in though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,106 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Finally got around to OFAF at the weekend,was grand, wasn't blown away by any means. Expectations may have been too high.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

VW 1 wrote: »
    Its right down on the waterfront isn't it?
    It's in an alley near a canal, but then lots of Amsterdam is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I had a Rascals 8:01 mint chocolate stout last night. I went in with an open mind but found the presence of the mint rather annoying. I'm not sure what I was expecting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

First time having an O'Hara's pale ale in a long time. Actually not that bad, threw it on top of the 4 for a tenner deal in Tescos with 3 Extra Stout's.

Surprised if it's dry hoped though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

a bottle of Little Island crafted Irish Apple Cider which seems to be from the same "house" as Kenmare..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Heard there is a barrel aged version of Brehon Shanco Dubh around. Always loved the original version. Has anybody seen it in any Dublin shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

It's in Baggot Street Wines, but it's like 28 euros. Haven't seen it anywhere else in Dublin fyi

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

There was a bottle of it in Blackrock Cellar but if I remember correctly it was before Christmas when I spotted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

jsa112 wrote: »
    It's in Baggot Street Wines, but it's like 28 euros. Haven't seen it anywhere else in Dublin fyi

!!!!!!

Probably get it anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Was in The Back Page last night in Phibsboro.

Couple of their house beers, 13 Seconds porter and Four20 Hemp Ale - both decent.

Also a pint of Yannaroddy, very delish.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Hemp ale?
    Consider me intrigued.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Cast Iron

Few in the Brew Dock tonight.
    Full Sail, familiar to all, Big RIver ipa, liked it got mandarin element and Hexed nice big fruity DIPA, well balanced I thought.

Finishing off with a Blacks CVI Stout...velvet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

joe-limited-release.png

O Brother Joe Coffee Porter

Delicious, medium bodied coffee Porter. Slightly dry flavour. O Brother are doing some decent stuff.

Had a Trappist Rochefort 10 and a Delirium Tremens in Gollem in Amsterdam.

Excellent beer selection and nice nerdy atmosphere. Thoroughly enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I was enjoying a bottle of Liefmans Goudenband until herself decided she wanted to try it and is now demanding more of it. might have a cup of tea I suppose..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Wicklow Wolf Poles Apart South IPA - Pretty good, very smooth and drinkable.

Northbound 70 Magnum IPA - Not a fan. Normally like high IBU beers, but this is a bit just doesn't do it for me. Too much of a banana sort of twang to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Couple of Crooked Stave beers this evening

Progenitor Golden Sour Ale - lovely subtle sourness.

Surette Saison Barrel Aged - delicious beer.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Been on medication for the last month that meant I couldn't drink. Off it now, and a Founders Breakfast Stout is definitely a good way to put an end to the imposed dry spell. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

Zaph wrote: »
    Been on medication for the last month that meant I couldn't drink. Off it now, and a Founders Breakfast Stout is definitely a good way to put an end to the imposed dry spell. :)

It's on tap down in the rebel county at the mo.

Nice way to get back into the swing of it Zaph!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

limnam wrote: »
    It's on tap down in the rebel county at the mo.

Won't be visiting the in-laws any time soon, so I'll probably miss out there. Never had it on tap, but I'd definitely like to.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,953 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I was enjoying a bottle of Liefmans Goudenband until herself decided she wanted to try it and is now demanding more of it. might have a cup of tea I suppose..

My wife who generally doesn't like beer has become a sour fiend!

Not sure about this sharing lark.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Verdant - Headband: very odd smelling IPA, slightly like ripe brie but tastes fruity and sour. Most interesting beer I've had in a while.
    Goose Island - Sofie: decent saison without being remarkable.
    Mike Hess Solis Occasus - big west coast IPA, dry and packed with hops.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Had two from the Buxton/Stillwater collaboration over the weekend, the sour IPA and the imperial stout. Both were excellent, particularly the stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Anyone seen the new born to die or brewdog/cloudwater collaboration beer anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Had a pint of Green Jack Mahseer IPA on cask in Wetherspoons in Blanchardstown.
    Think it was 2.95 a pint so good price.

Quite a sweet taste up front like caramel then finishes off mildly hoppy citrus bite. Leaves a slight mouthdrying feeling. Not bad.

Advertisement