Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Finally got Of Foam and Fury and it was delightfully juicy

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Anyone seen the new born to die or brewdog/cloudwater collaboration beer anywhere?
    No bottles of the NE IPA were allocated to Ireland. There will be a keg of it at the Alltech festival, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

BeerNut wrote:
    No bottles of the NE IPA were allocated to Ireland. There will be a keg of it at the Alltech festival, however.

Craft whale, ahoy.......

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

At least the appearance won't be affected by the dreadful Alltech beaker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Anyone seen the new born to die or brewdog/cloudwater collaboration beer anywhere?

I'm going to order a few from the website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

loving the Franziskaner wheat beer of late,but then found a beer in aldi which is much the same.,a lot cheaper called Schöfferhofer..so thats where im at

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

Just back from a few days in New York and had some amazing beers. Highlights of the NE style IPA's were probably Forever Green and All Citra Everything from Other Half and Sumner from Hill Farmstead. All beautiful smooth beers full of hop flavour and dangerously easy to drink. Had a Sumi Zest from Grimm and a small pour of Bourbon County Stout both of which were as expected brilliant imperial stouts, was a little skeptical of the orange peel added to an 11.5% stout in Sumi Zest but it works really well.

Also managed to bring home some great beers in the case from Grimm, Evil Twin, Alesmith as well as getting a couple of bottles of Bourbon County and a can of Heady Topper! Might need to focus more on the site seeing next time :o

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Where'd you get the Heady Topper in NY? I'm currently in White Plains NY and would seriously hunt some down.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

Where'd you get the Heady Topper in NY? I'm currently in White Plains NY and would seriously hunt some down.

Got very lucky with that one, a friend of mine who was living there for 6 months with work was cleaning out his fridge and asked me if I wanted a can of 'rare IPA' he'd gotten off a client. I was only too happy to take it off his hands. Would be worth checking BeerMenus to see if anything was close, I found it brilliant for finding good beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

lolokeogh wrote: »
    loving the Franziskaner wheat beer of late,but then found a beer in aldi which is much the same.,a lot cheaper called Schöfferhofer..so thats where im at

Schofferhoffer is a grand beer. Nice banana element to the taste. Very good value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

8 Degrees Bandit Smoked Brown Ale

The smokiness in this is very well done and not as intrusive as I expected from a smoked ale. Lovely balanced flavours. 6% ABV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Picked up a few beers from The Tempest Brewing company.

Tried the Unforgiven Red Rye and Red eye flight.

Unforgiven is a beech smoked rye beer and has a not too strong a smokey flavour. I struggle with smokey beers but didn't find this too strong.

Red eye flight is a mocha porter which I really liked. Chocolate, coffee and caramel was a nice balance of all. Smells great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Tried Cloudwater DIPA Ver11 - not as good as some of the earlier ones. It's a bit sweet and syrupy.
    Have some of their canned IPAs and bottled session IPA for later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I tried a bottle of 8 Degrees Wayfarer, their sour IPA, last night. I really enjoyed it, I must say. The berry-like sourness worked well with the tropical hops - it seems like a logical next step for those that want to get fruitier.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Ravelleman wrote: »
    I tried a bottle of 8 Degrees Wayfarer, their sour IPA, last night. I really enjoyed it, I must say. The berry-like sourness worked well with the tropical hops - it seems like a logical next step for those that want to get fruitier.

Agreed, I thought it was one of the nicer sour styles I've had in a while. The hops stopped it from being too tart.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Had a founders azacca last night, very tasty beer. Nice hop taste off it, but darker than their typical IPA and that was reflected in the flavour too. Less of a citrusy flavour and a more ripe fruit and caramel type flavour from it. Lovely full mouthfeel too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

A bottle of "the craft brewing company" Pale wheat ale. One of the uses of 1:89 I have spent in a long time. Very enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

The Lidl stuff?

It's Rye River/McGargles

A bottle of "the craft brewing company" Pale wheat ale. One of the uses of 1:89 I have spent in a long time. Very enjoyable.
    Easily the best beer for buck in Ireland.

Having a superb Barra Hooley Dry Stout :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

The Lidl stuff?

It's Rye River/McGargles

I'm fully aware of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Jesus, "Barra Hooley" is a worse name than McGargles

• Registered Users Posts: 68,631 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sounds like a regional TV newsreader

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

Blacks of Kinsale - Mint choc stout.

Was made on pilot kit, tasted like it was done with fresh mint but was a bit over powering.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Johnny Drama_11

Have some bottles of unfiltered lager by Hope for later. I was very impressed when I tried it on draught.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭jh79

Cask Leann Folainn, was never its biggest fan but i am enjoying the cask version.

Jesus, "Barra Hooley" is a worse name than McGargles
    Named after a local landmark in the Glens of Antrim. Not that stupid, is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭JoeLapira

Have a couple bottles of Chimay lined up for tonight. Been about 2 years since i had anything from them so looking forward cracking them open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Got some new cans today. North Co brew. More reasonable than the cloudwater stuff and I'm not paying €6 for a 330ml, even Foam is cheaper than that in a pub.

Started with a sputnik, tis nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

RasTa wrote: »
    Got some new cans today. North Co brew. More reasonable than the cloudwater stuff and I'm not paying €6 for a 330ml, even Foam is cheaper than that in a pub.

Started with a sputnik, tis nice.

You mike the right choice. The new cloud water stuff is disappointing.

Advertisement