Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Had a bottle of Cloudwater DIPA V11, wasn't hugely impressed at all. Then my wife gave "my" can of Surrender to the Void to a mate we were visiting and I never even got a sup!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I really liked the Cloudwater DIPA V11.

There seems to be a real mixed reviews on this.
    Have to say the V6 was one of the best I had from them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Blown away by the Hare and the Had at Alltech but for someone wanting a lower more sessionable stout at 4%abv then I found this absolutely brilliant.

carlingford-brewing-king-john_s-stout.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ciaran76 wrote: »
    I really liked the Cloudwater DIPA V11.

There seems to be a real mixed reviews on this.
    Have to say the V6 was one of the best I had from them too.
    I liked it too, but V6 was definitely nicer to drink. Picked up a load of Cloudwater in Blackrock Cellar on monday, looking forward to trying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

I liked it too, but V6 was definitely nicer to drink. Picked up a load of Cloudwater in Blackrock Cellar on monday, looking forward to trying them.

Agreed V6 was miles better. The vic secret wai-iti was really good, didn't love the session IPA but was certainly different and I'd probably try again because of that. At least they are trying some new things. Sick to death of overly fruity session IPAs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Had a St Mels Autumn IPA from Aldi (they ran out of my beloved Boom). Didn't like it, flat, almost stale and musty

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Siren bourbon coffee broken dream is pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Johnny Drama_11

Enjoyed an ipl from cloudwater last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Crooked Stave Blueberry Sour.

The fruit is amazing in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Geuze wrote: »
    Last week I had White Hag Black Boar imperial stout, the barrel-aged version, 10.5%

On draught in the Swagman, Sligo.

I'm told the only other place it was available was Alltech.

Very nice. Now I don't have a sophisticated palate, so I'm not very good at describing food/drinks, but I called it luscious.

3/4 pint serve, price = 6.00.

I had a pint of Black Boar barrel aged tonight, but I'm not as big a fan as last week.

Nice, but not very nice.

I found it a tad hard to drink the pint.

10.5%, 8.00 pint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

So I switched to a White Hag / Kinnegar collaboration called The Hare and the Hound.

Described as an Irish coffee nitro stout. 5.50 pint.

Goes down easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,639 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Had a very decent but rather dear IPA in The Workshop and in the hurry to get to my train, forgot what the hell it was called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Crazy Horse 1st anniversary limited edition IPA....Very tasty indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

North Brewing Full Fathom 5 Coffee Coconut Porter.

Not really impressed. A bit thin tasting and doesn't sit well together for me.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Kinnegar - Flying Saucer. Smooth and gorgeous.
    Galway Bay/Teeling - 200 Fathoms (2016). Just fantastic. Leaving it for a year in the bottle worked to perfection.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Had a few nice pints of the GBB/Whiplash collaboration. Touching the Scald. Fantastic brown porter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

beer_300882.jpg

Wicklow Wolf Kentucky Common Brown Ale

Had a bottle of this there. Straight forward brown ale. Medium bodied but incredible carbonation. A tad nutty too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

North Brewing Full Fathom 5 Coffee Coconut Porter.

Not really impressed. A bit thin tasting and doesn't sit well together for me.

Transmission IPA by the same brewer. Much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MiyaArcher613

Finally tried Sapporo beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Gose north on tap at the Taphouse - really cloudy appearance, tart at the beginning but has some sweetness and quite dry.
    Yellowbelly Citra pale ale - quite sessionable but not as good as Citra IPA by 8 degrees.
    Thornbridge Huck - pretty easy drinking DIPA, nothing too outstanding but nicest I've had from them for a while

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Touching The Scald is a lovely drink.

And Rascal's Strawberry Milkshake is very good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Had a few nice pints of the GBB/Whiplash collaboration. Touching the Scald. Fantastic brown porter.

Its really nice given its a bit on the weak side. Would love a slightly stronger version.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Trond wrote: »
    Would love a slightly stronger version.
    That's sort-of what Scaldy Porter is. Personally I think Touching the Scald is perfect as it is. They could take about a euro off the price though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

BeerNut wrote: »
    That's sort-of what Scaldy Porter is. Personally I think Touching the Scald is perfect as it is. They could take about a euro off the price though ;)

:) indeed.

If you haven't tried it yet Brooklyn Brown Ale might be right up your street! Similar malty feel to it. Cant be hard to locate though....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Trond wrote: »
    If you haven't tried it yet Brooklyn Brown Ale might be right up your street! Similar malty feel to it.
    It seems I thought it was too hoppy. Besides, those tiddly wee bottles are absolutely against the spirit of a beer like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Had the White Hag/Kinnegar coffee nitro stout last night - it was absolutely delicious. So smooth and drinkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Had a two year old bottle of 200 Fathoms on Saturday. Very tasty indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭janiejones

Had my first guinness foreign extra stout. Don't know what the fuss is about. It's grand. Lot nicer than guinness. But I'll probably never bother with it again.

Following it down with a leann follain

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

janiejones wrote: »
    Had my first guinness foreign extra stout. Don't know what the fuss is about. It's grand. Lot nicer than guinness. But I'll probably never bother with it again.

Following it down with a leann follain

Keep the best til last! Incidentally 4 for 10 Euro in Dunnes. With 20% off, 4 for 8 or 2 Euro each. Great value!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,106 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Also had the Hag and The Hare collab, excellent stuff. The Yellowbelly Citra Pale Ale on tap was very easy drinking, nice initial hop bite, bit of spice and some grapefruit type sharpness.

Advertisement