Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Having a yellow belly American express. It's nice and has a mostly balanced fruity hit but is let down by a bit of an onion flavour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Hitting the heavier Founders tonight. 2 each of Sumatra Mountain and Black Penance. 2 cracking beers.
    The Sumatra is far better nearer to room temp imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Trond wrote:
    Hitting the heavier Founders tonight. 2 each of Sumatra Mountain and Black Penance. 2 cracking beers. The Sumatra is far better nearer to room temp imo

I was served a bottle of Sumatra in a pub in Galway straight from the fridge recently and it wasn't half as nice. Definitely needs to be allowed warm up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Cazale wrote: »
    I was served a bottle of Sumatra in a pub in Galway straight from the fridge recently and it wasn't half as nice. Definitely needs to be allowed warm up a bit.

The 2 I had tonight were given to me by a friend for the exact same reason!! He's since seen the light!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,953 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

janiejones wrote: »
    Had my first guinness foreign extra stout. Don't know what the fuss is about. It's grand. Lot nicer than guinness. But I'll probably never bother with it again.

Following it down with a leann follain

THat "fuss" would have been originally made 10 - 15 years ago - before the term "Craft Beer" was born. It was pretty special back then compared to what else was available.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

THat "fuss" would have been originally made 10 - 15 years ago - before the term "Craft Beer" was born.
    And before pumping a beer full of fruit syrup was regarded as innovation :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,953 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BeerNut wrote: »
    And before pumping a beer full of fruit syrup was regarded as innovation :P

Ah now, with the acceptance and proliferation of sour beers, I've become quite the fruit bat!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Can of Sage and Pepper saison by Metalman - I really liked this, the pepper builds throughout but doesn't overpower it all. Saisons are becoming a new staple for me.
    Euphoria Pale Ale by Ska is a nice winter pale ale, mainly malt up front but has some nice hop bitterness. Nowehere near as good as modus hoperandi or rudie.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Johnny Drama_11

Have a few bottles of Francis Big Bangin for later looking forward to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Sipping on Buxton/Lervig's Trolltunga - savage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Enjoyed a few coffee stouts lately:

Stone Americano Stout - Intense hit of coffee up front that mellows as it warms. Excellent stout with loads of depth.

Joel's Barrel Aged Vietnam Coffee - a Dot Brew limited edition special for Blackrock Cellar. A lot sweeter than the Stone, with more pronounced chocolate and vanilla flavours than I expected. I've never been disappointed by Dot and their record remains intact, this is a lovely stout.

Whiplash Farami - the coffee flavour is probably somewhere in the middle of the two above. It's from a can and while it's a tasty beer there's a bit too much carbonation for my liking. I suspect I'd enjoy it on draught a lot more.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

In a similar vein to the above, I tonight had a bottle of Black Boar from White Hag. Smoothest imperial stout I've had in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

76816.jpg

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA

Medium bodied, frothy head, nice flavours. It's well balanced with a slightly bitter aftertaste.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Had a stout session the other day and it was a very mixed bag.

Thornridge - Russian imperial stout
    Awful. Could say it was heavily hopped, giving it a fruity taste, but it actually tasted perfumed. It wasn't very heavy either and I'd say it had more in common with a barleywine. Couldn't finish it.

Left hand nitro milk stout
    Nice variation of milk stout, very light, not at all creamy and had a very soft head.
    Good crisp taste and a clean finish.

Founders breakfast stout
    Old reliable. Brilliant mix of chocolate and coffee flavours, well rounded body and nice brown head. Easy drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

An File wrote: »
    In a similar vein to the above, I tonight had a bottle of Black Boar from White Hag. Smoothest imperial stout I've had in a long time.

Had a bottle of that last night. Really enjoyed it too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Had a bottle of that last night. Really enjoyed it too.

I'm going to stock up on a selection of their other beers for Paddy's weekend. Haven't tried anything besides their stouts before.

The Snakes & Scholars stout is best avoided, if the bottle I had is anything to go by.

The Snakes & Scholars stout is best avoided, if the bottle I had is anything to go by.

I have one sitting at home will try it this evening.

ciaran76 wrote: »
    I have one sitting at home will try it this evening.
    If you're lucky, the carbonation that was supposed to be in mine is in yours. Nitrogenating in the bottle: not even once (unless you're Left Hand).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Picked up a bottle of O'Hara's Imperial Stout 20 year anniversary in the presentation packaging...Anyone tried yet?

• Advertisement

Erik Shin wrote: »
    Picked up a bottle of O'Hara's Imperial Stout 20 year anniversary in the presentation packaging...Anyone tried yet?

It's very pleasant. The glass is very nice too. What did you pay for it?

A tenner in my local off licence

Im waiting until we are hammering Wales before I pop it open ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

Im waiting until we are hammering Wales before I pop it open ;)

You might regret that :pac:

limnam wrote: »
    You might regret that :pac:

I might and all.... Hoegaarden at the moment ;)

I'll be supping Dutch gold soon enough :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Clonakilty Tojo APA. A decent apa. a touch on the malty side and lacking that extra bit to make it stand out.

Galway bay hexed. Said it before they this is a very good beer. Lovely juicy tropical fruity double IPA.

Kinnegar crossroads American IPA. Very nice. Has that extra balance and bite missing from the Tojo

If you're lucky, the carbonation that was supposed to be in mine is in yours. Nitrogenating in the bottle: not even once (unless you're Left Hand).

Nope flat as a pancake!

I didn't like it...Left as
    bitter an aftertaste as last night's game....On the plus side, i do have a very nice little glass out of it

• Advertisement

I didn't like it...Left as
    bitter an aftertaste as last night's game....On the plus side, i do have a very nice little glass out of it

Yeah, that was hard to watch. :o Shame about the beer too!

I had a bottle of Toasted Special from the White Gypsy brewery in Tipperary. I've been a fan of all their stuff since it first appeared in Limerick (apart from their red ale, which I can't stand) and this one is another success. Reminded me a bit of a German dunkel. Had it out of an Erdinger glass. Very nice indeed.

Advertisement