Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Have a couple of cans of heineken in the chiller. Sometimes sticking with the simple stuff is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Had I look st the calendar today and it turns out it's a Sunday. So to celebrate I decided to crack open a bottle KBS 2016.

Aged it a year and it has made a huge difference. Last year the Bourbon was real in your face harsh but it has mellowed without being lost. Milky sweet malts with bursts of chocolate along with a nice, but in proportion, alcohol burn. Velvety and smooth and just gorgeous. The reason I drink beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

BaZmO* wrote:
    Had I look st the calendar today and it turns out it's a Sunday. So to celebrate I decided to crack open a bottle KBS 2016.

Loving the logic.

I've a KBS, 200 fathoms, Narwhal and the O'Haras anniversary edition all of which have been ageing in or around a year now. Must nearly be time to check the notes from first time around and retaste!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Johnny Drama_11

Tried a neck oil by beavertown last night. Was expecting more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

In Chicago yesterday :
    Star Chicken Shotgun IPA : Greenbush Brewing Company

Smelled lovely of orange and pine. Tasted good too.
    Not too bitter but just right. At 6.8% though one was enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Really enjoyed the pint of Trouble Ambush 3.0 in PMac's last Friday. Super Fruity and fresh.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Had one in Taphouse in Ranelagh last night. 'Tis lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

A bottle of Orval.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

In North Dakota atm :

Beers of noteworthy mention :

Early Riser Coffee Porter ,Boulevard Brewing Co. : Great coffee flavoured stout. Wasn't super cold as most beers are here was just the right temperture.

Collaboration No. 6 - Barrel-Aged Blend ,Boulevard Brewing Co. : This was made with afew different mixes of beer.
    Boulevard Bourbon Barrel Quad - 45%
    Firestone Walker Stickee Monkee - 35%
    Boulevard Imperial Stout X - Tart Cherry (whiskey barrel-aged) - 10%
    Firestone Walker Velvet Merkin - 10%

Was more bourbon than anything but really liked it.

Comet IPA ,Founders Brewing Co. : Found this very grassy and malty but was great after the first 2 beers for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

ciaran76 wrote: »
    In North Dakota don't ya know!

Fixed :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Had an O'Hara's 51st state 'New England' IPA. Quotes are there because this is far from a New England IPA despite the claim. Not great at all.

Had an O'Hara's 51st state 'New England' IPA. Quotes are there because this is far from a New England IPA despite the claim. Not great at all.

Is this another seasonal? They've generally been very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Is this another seasonal? They've generally been very poor.

Think it must be. Clearly trying to capitalise on the NEIPA trend, but really doesn't match the style descriptions or the examples I've had from other breweries. For one thing, it's crystal clear. Looks jus like their regular IPA. Aroma is low. Too sweet as well. The sheet of info they provide for it says it contains wheat and caramalt, so maybe that's to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Having a bottle of "The Hare and the Hag" which is a collaboration between Kinnegar and the White Hag breweries for those who haven't heard. It's an irish coffee nitro stout that is simply amazing...Wish I had more than one:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Had a bottle of new O'Haras hop adventure with styrian hops, not a patch on previous ones, tasted like fruity lager

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Anchor Go West! IPA. A classic American beer.

dexter647 wrote: »
    Having a bottle of "The Hare and the Hag" which is a collaboration between Kinnegar and the White Hag breweries for those who haven't heard. It's an irish coffee nitro stout that is simply amazing...Wish I had more than one:(

That's one of the best beers to ever come out of Ireland. Must try and track some more down before its all gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

dexter647 wrote: »

Tried to get some yesterday but drinkstore had just sold the last few :(

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭JoeLapira

Had Rascal's Strawberry Milkshake last night and loved it. For the first few sups the milkshake flavour and aroma was quite faint which disappointed me a little. But as i worked my way through the pint, the smell and flavours really kicked in. Had 4 pints which was more than enough as it is a little heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭rufuseric82

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    That's one of the best beers to ever come out of Ireland. Must try and track some more down before its all gone!

Got the last one in Molloy's in Clondalkin. It's superb. I hope they do more!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

JoeLapira wrote: »
    Had Rascal's Strawberry Milkshake last night and loved it. For the first few sups the milkshake flavour and aroma was quite faint which disappointed me a little. But as i worked my way through the pint, the smell and flavours really kicked in. Had 4 pints which was more than enough as it is a little heavy.

Thought it was so synthetic tasting.

A wonderful pint of citra pale ale in Simon Lamberts. Love this pub so much. So many great beers to sample

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Anyone like St Mels lager?

A wonderful pint of citra pale ale in Simon Lamberts. Love this pub so much. So many great beers to sample

Great pub, great atmosphere. Can't go wrong!

Weisse City Raspberry to start the evenings procedings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Three Sheep Stealer for €9 in SV.

jack bauers power shower. Lovely sour beer. Even nicer by the pint.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Just had a bottle of "The Hare and the Hag" and I think I'm going to be the lone dissenting voice here. It's a wonderfully rich stout with a really nice, smooth coffee kick, but for me it's let down by how sweet it is. If they dialled back a bit on that it would be spectacular, but as it stands I'm glad I only bought the one bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Just had a Dot Brew American Stout and it was nice enough. Chocolate, a hint of hops and a slight bitter aftertaste. Must check out some more brews from this Dublin brewery.

• Advertisement

Passenger wrote: »
    Just had a Dot Brew American Stout and it was nice enough. Chocolate, a hint of hops and a slight bitter aftertaste. Must check out some more brews from this Dublin brewery.

Anyone I've talked to about this has agreed that it's more like a black IPA but good nonetheless, if you can make the trip to Blackrock Cellar they have a Vietnamese Coffee Stout brewed exclusively for the shop which is amazing!

Advertisement