Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Blacks of Kinsale chocolate and vanilla stout. Nice drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

A can of Rascal's Bid Red DIPA. Nothing special. Very malty.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Bottle of 8 degrees Trans-pacific ipa was surprisingly unremarkable. Not up to their usual high standards, expected more especially with the Vic Secret hops which are usually interesting at least.
    Bottle of Miss Hops by Barcelona beer company - nice but forgettable. Big bear apa by the same brewer was not great at all.
    Double chin was worth the money, glad to see Beavertown back to their best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Brooklyn Blast from my local SuperValu....Best before Dec 2015 .... Tastes ok...I think :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I had some of The Hare and the Hag stout, a collaboration between Kinnegar and White Hag.

Sweet, creamy stout.

Pint was 5.50 or 6.00, depending on who served, Swagman pub, Sligo.

Now the following day I was affected, and went to look up the ABV, turns out it's 6.5%.

I had been supping it like regular stout, but now know it's dangerously drinkable.

That explains how I woke up on the couch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 transik

Magnify from new jersey double ipa double dry hoped -can.
    GB not even close to that level, great beer

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I dunno man, I'm slowly working my way through a bottle of Hexed and I'm really enjoying it. Very smooth for an 8.5% DIPA.

It's making me miss Goodbye Blue Monday again though. >_<

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Picked up a bottle of McGargles - Export Stout. Not a fan of their other stuff but this is incredibly good. Bit sweeter than you'd expect from an Export Stout but I tend to like sweet Stouts. Great beer.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Picked up a bottle of McGargles - Export Stout. Not a fan of their other stuff but this is incredibly good. Bit sweeter than you'd expect from an Export Stout but I tend to like sweet Stouts. Great beer.

I haven't seen that one yet. I'd assume they'll be distributing it to the supermarkets with the rest of their range? I've already joined the bandwagon of enjoying their Francis' IPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

14B123-Wicklow-Wolf-IPA-50cl-Btl.png

Wicklow Wolf IPA

Nicely balanced, flavoursome, easy to drink IPA. Enjoyed this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Had a couple of pints of Hope's Oatmeal IPA earlier. Nicest beer ive had in a long time. Dont miss out.........

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Gave McGargles Rosie's Pale Ale a go yesterday as there wasn't much on offer in the petrol station we stopped at enroute to Dublin. Was a bit too sweet for my liking.

Blacks KPA when we got to Dublin was as tasty as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,106 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Having a Blacks Sub White IPA now. Really enjoying it,nice grapefruit hit at first, light and fruity with a decent bitterness. Will definitely buy again if I can find it.

Trond wrote: »
    Had a couple of pints of Hope's Oatmeal IPA earlier. Nicest beer ive had in a long time. Dont miss out.........

Had a bottle of this over the weekend, it is very nice alright. Pretty good value at €2.70 a bottle in the O'Brien's chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Had a couple of White Hag sours at the weekend. The Apple Sour is only ok but the Puca Lemon Sour with Hibiscus and Ginger is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Had a bottle of this over the weekend, it is very nice alright. Pretty good value at €2.70 a bottle in the O'Brien's chain.

An ill informed mate told me it was only available on tap! Good news thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Had a Yellowbelly Juice Wayne. Nice enough but nowhere near as good as the pineapple double IPA. Fruit didn't come through as well on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Trond wrote: »

Would 2nd that.
    aaronm13 wrote: »
    Had a Yellowbelly Juice Wayne. Nice enough but nowhere near as good as the pineapple double IPA. Fruit didn't come through as well on it.

I found the bulk of the bitterness seemed to come from the pith. Didn't really float my boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Had a bottle of Curious Orange in Dungarvan at the end of my cycle on the new Greenway from Kilmacthomas, might have been the thirst on me but honestly think it's the best saison I've had (along with Saison Dupont). I really liked their Seaweed Saison but this is a step up from that, brilliant stuff.

Anyone tried the Arthurstown King's Bay maple ale? Maple Syrup listed in the ingredients. It's in Super Valu but I haven't had it yet. Would be interested to know if it's any good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Anyone tried the Arthurstown King's Bay maple ale? Maple Syrup listed in the ingredients. It's in Super Valu but I haven't had it yet. Would be interested to know if it's any good.

Yeah had a bottle of it there the other day and enjoyed it. The maple syrup adds a nice sweetness and complements the hops well. Not a world beater but a nice session beer!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Founders Backwoods Bastard on draught in Against the Grain. Scotch ales probably aren't to everyone's liking, but this really is the standard that all other Scotch ales should mark themselves against. The hit of bourbon from the casks adds to the massive booziness of the beer. If it wasn't 11% I'd happily drink it all night.

Unfortunately I followed it with a Yellowbelly Ursa Minor, which was a great disappointment. Supposedly a Coconut Brown Porter, there were plenty of chocolate and coffee flavours, but it didn't seem like a coconut had even been in the same county as the brewery. And at €6.25 a pint for a 3.5% beer I was expecting something a lot more special than this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

n97 mini wrote: »
    I found the bulk of the bitterness seemed to come from the pith. Didn't really float my boat.

Have to agree with this. Had it in The Brew Dock on Saturday. For one it was ridiculously expensive for a half pint and then I found it under carbonated, very boring and the main bitterness seemed to tasted like citrus pith. It was as if they peeled the oranges and lemons as if you were eating them instead of using a grater/peeler/zester and leaving the pith behind. Citrus pith is very, very unpleasant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Zaph wrote: »
    And at €6.25 a pint for a 3.5% beer I was expecting something a lot more special than this.

To be fair to Yellowbelly here, it's not them that sets the price in GBB bars. GBB bars are notorious for gouging on non-GBB beers in all of their pubs.

That seems crazy excessive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

matrim wrote: »
    Had a couple of White Hag sours at the weekend. The Apple Sour is only ok but the Puca Lemon Sour with Hibiscus and Ginger is lovely.

The Apple sour was just not to my taste at all but I dont like cider/apple juice etc so that might explain that.

The Puca on the otherhand was great as you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I had this over the weekend brought it back from US.

Love these metal bottles. Beer was ok! Thought it would be better.

Nomadic.jpg
    free ebay image hosting

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Had a bottle of Curious Orange in Dungarvan at the end of my cycle on the new Greenway from Kilmacthomas, might have been the thirst on me but honestly think it's the best saison I've had (along with Saison Dupont). I really liked their Seaweed Saison but this is a step up from that, brilliant stuff.

I thought the Thyme was waaay too overpowering. Thought the beer itself was top notch just couldn't get my tastebuds around the Thyme.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Agree with the above. The thyme actually worked really well, but would be better if it was more subtle. By the end of the beer, all I could get from it was the thyme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Have to agree with this. Had it in The Brew Dock on Saturday. For one it was ridiculously expensive for a half pint and then I found it under carbonated, very boring and the main bitterness seemed to tasted like citrus pith. It was as if they peeled the oranges and lemons as if you were eating them instead of using a grater/peeler/zester and leaving the pith behind. Citrus pith is very, very unpleasant.

I had it in PMacs and they served it in a pint. Though it was strange considering it 7.1% but i wasn't complaining.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I had it in PMacs and they served it in a pint. Though it was strange considering it 7.1% but i wasn't complaining.

How much was a pint?

Advertisement