Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,953 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Zaph wrote: »

Unfortunately I followed it with a Yellowbelly Ursa Minor, which was a great disappointment. Supposedly a Coconut Brown Porter, there were plenty of chocolate and coffee flavours, but it didn't seem like a coconut had even been in the same county as the brewery. And at €6.25 a pint for a 3.5% beer I was expecting something a lot more special than this.

I must have tasted a different batch to you. I had it in The Abbot's, Cork and found the coconut so overpowering that I declined to drink it.
    It's not often that I don't drink a beer that I've bought but I couldn't enjoy this beer at all.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I must have tasted a different batch to you. I had it in The Abbot's, Cork and found the coconut so overpowering that I declined to drink it.
    It's not often that I don't drink a beer that I've bought but I couldn't enjoy this beer at all.

Strange. The person with me couldn't​ detect any coconut from it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,953 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Strange. The person with me couldn't​ detect any coconut from it either.

Definitely a different batch. This was like drinking Bounty bars. No mistaking the coconut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Heading to the match now shortly.

Truth be told I'm more excited about a load of pints of Hope Oatmeal IPA than the game!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Bus Boy

This is the Holy Grail. Could only buy 4, on my last one tonight and can confirm that the hype is true. Pliny The Elder, you are the one.

Bottled on the 17/03

IMG_0671_zpshecx8zw6.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

How much was a pint?

Not sure, i got 2 pints of it and a Guinness. Think the round came to about 17-18 euro so probably around 6 euro. How much was the Brew Dock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Not sure, i got 2 pints of it and a Guinness. Think the round came to about 17-18 euro so probably around 6 euro. How much was the Brew Dock?

4.50 for a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

Founders Backwoods Bastard on draught in Against the Grain. Scotch ales probably aren't to everyone's liking, but this really is the standard that all other Scotch ales should mark themselves against. The hit of bourbon from the casks adds to the massive booziness of the beer. If it wasn't 11% I'd happily drink it all night.

Amazing drop altogether. If i was to design an ale for me this would be pretty damn close.

Never had it on tap though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Had a small sample of Guinness Amber - Dublin Pale Ale

Absolutely vile stuff, like a cheap imitation of something like Boddingtons or John Smiths. It was being served as a double pour too, there aren't enough of these :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Had a small sample of Guinness Amber - Dublin Pale Ale

Absolutely vile stuff, like a cheap imitation of something like Boddingtons or John Smiths.
    I took a whole pint for the team. It's grim all right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Millionaire by Wild Beer Company. 4.7%. Chocolate and Salted Caramel Milk Stout.
    Man, what a beer, lovely balanced beer and one of the best beers I've ever had
    5yoyo for 330ml bottle in offie makes it an expensive purchase (for my budget anyway) but I will be looking at picking up a few more bottles.
    Fullers Past Masters 1910 Double Stout. 7.4%
    Decent beer, would have no problem settling in for the night with a few bottles of this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Had that Chocolate and Salted Caramel stout too. Thought it was nice, but the caramel flavour was a bit artificial and sickly after a while.

Picked up what I believe is scientifically described as a "hape" of cans of Magic Rock's Grapefruit Highwire. There's talk of a family shindig in the parents place this weekend with my family and they're inviting the missuses parents and siblings so I'll need something I can sip for the day and that seems to fit the bill nicely.

4 for a tenner in Tesco, couldn't leave it there. Having one now, tis lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭St. Lupulin

Eight-Degrees-Brewing-Retribution-Black-Rye-IPA-PNG.png?resize=300%2C300

As good as it gets, really.

All hail 8 Degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Eight-Degrees-Brewing-Retribution-Black-Rye-IPA-PNG.png?resize=300%2C300

As good as it gets, really.

All hail 8 Degrees.

Yeah I really enjoyed that too.

Eight Degrees must be one of the best in the country for continually bring out new good beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Picked up what I believe is scientifically described as a "hape" of cans of Magic Rock's Grapefruit Highwire. There's talk of a family shindig in the parents place this weekend with my family and they're inviting the missuses parents and siblings so I'll need something I can sip for the day and that seems to fit the bill nicely.

4 for a tenner in Tesco, couldn't leave it there. Having one now, tis lovely.

That's great value, what tesco did you get them in? Never seen it in tesco before.

Magic Rock is a very good brewery.

Just booked a trip over to London for the Beavertown festival in September.

Not going to lie Im rather excited !!!! Initially I was disappointed that tickets cost £55 but then i found out that covers you for ALL your beer!

The Beavertown Extravaganza will showcase the finest brewing talent the world has to offer. It will be a spectacular, great exhibition of beer.

On Friday the 8th September and Saturday 9th September at Printworks London – a 95000 sq ft former newspaper factory in Canada Water – we will host more than 60 of the worlds great brewers. Each brewery will be serving 2 taps of beer, rotating those taps with different beers over the two days. All the beers served to you will be in peak condition, there won’t be any 2 month old IPA’s or dulled pales, cos we’re going to be getting those kegs on a plane and flying them over with the brewers from each of the breweries in tow. As well as getting to drink super fresh beers served to you by the brewers themselves we’ll also be launching the 2017 Rainbow Project collabs at The Beavertown Extravaganza and hosting talks, break out sessions and seminars curated by top beer journalists throughout the two days.

The Breweries:

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
    40ft Brewery
    Alesmith Brewing Company
    Alesong Brewing & Blending
    Arizona Wilderness Brewing Co.
    Bagby Beer Company
    Basqueland Brewing Project
    Brew By Numbers
    Beerbliotek
    Bell’s Brewery
    Birrificio Del Ducato
    Boneyard Beer
    Brekeriet
    Brewdog
    Brewski
    Brouwerij Alvinne
    Brouwerij Kees
    Burning Sky
    Buxton Brewery
    Casita Cerveceria
    Cellarmaker
    Cigar City
    Cloudwater Brew Co.
    Crooked Stave Artisan Beer Project
    Dieu du Ciel
    Dogfish Head Brewery
    Dry & Bitter Brewing Company
    Dugges
    Evil Twin
    Firestone Walker
    Firestone Walker Barrelworks
    Garage Project
    Gueuzerie Tilquin
    Hair of the Dog
    Hawkshead Brewery
    Heretic Brewing Company
    J Wakefield Brewing
    Jester King Brewery
    Lervig Aktiebryggeri
    Lost & Grounded
    Lost Abbey
    Loverbeer
    Magic Rock Brewing
    Mahr’s Brau
    Mikkeller
    Mikkeller San Diego
    Modern Times Beer
    Naparbier
    New Belgium Brewing Company
    Olivers Cider & Perry
    Omnipollo
    Other Half Brewing Company
    Partizan Brewing
    Pizza Port
    Pohjala Brewery
    Pressure Drop Brewery
    Redchurch Brewery
    Sierra Nevada Brewing Company
    Siren Craft Brew
    Slim Pickens Cider & Mead
    Stillwater Artisanal
    Stockholm Brewing Company
    Stone Berlin
    The Kernel Brewery
    Thornbridge Brewery
    Three Weavers Brewing Company
    To Øl
    Trillium Brewing Company
    Warpigs Brewpub
    Wild Beer Co.
    Wylam Brewery

The Beers:

To be confirmed

The Dates:

Friday 8th September – 3pm – 10pm
    Saturday 9th September – 1pm – 8pm

The Location:

Printworks London
    Surrey Quays Rd, London SE16 7PJ Closest tubes: Canada Water (Overground & Jubilee Line)

The Tickets

£55 All In tickets
    Tickets include: Entry, The Beavertown Extravaganza Glass, ALL OF YOUR BEER, access to the Talks & Seminars, Booking fee & VAT

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Impressive line-up, pity they didn't invite any Irish breweries over though.

Just had a Guinness Antwerpen and I have to say I really liked it. Quite malty, with a little bit of fruitiness to it. The label says they first brewed it for export to Belgium in 1944. You'd imagine that the Belgians would have been sufficiently occupied at that time (no pun intended) to be worrying about not being able to brew enough themselves. That's serious dedication to beer!

First taste of Odells Mountain Standard. Really nice black IPA. Hides the % v well. So much going on taste wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,639 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Impressive line-up, pity they didn't invite any Irish breweries over though.

Just had a Guinness Antwerpen and I have to say I really liked it. Quite malty, with a little bit of fruitiness to it. The label says they first brewed it for export to Belgium in 1944. You'd imagine that the Belgians would have been sufficiently occupied at that time (no pun intended) to be worrying about not being able to brew enough themselves. That's serious dedication to beer!

Brussels was liberated in '44 and I suspect they really wanted a few beers after all that!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The label says they first brewed it for export to Belgium in 1944.
    That's odd. I've been told Antwerpen is basically Special Export Stout, tweaked very slightly, presumably for contractual legal reasons. But SES goes back earlier than 1944. Ron Pattinson mentions it being around in 1930 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

A dissapointing pint of full sail. Were it not for the 50 cent off voucher I wouldn't part with 6 euro for it.

Nor would I part with 55euro for a GBB hoodie. It must be made from Mithril

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭JoeLapira

Had Something Witty, the collaboration between Rascals and Trouble Brewing, the other night. The tagline says Lemongrass, Ginger, Lime and Pear but personally i felt the ginger was a touch overpowering but it was a nice drop all the same.

Enjoying a few bottles of Darkside IPA tonight from Brú, a nice hop forward flavour and possibly my favourite IPA from an Irish Brewery.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

My local offy has started stocking west cork brewing co.

Ruby red, X stout and a pale ale.

Haven't tried the ale yet but really enjoying their stout a bit lower on the abv than I usually like my stouts.

Happy Friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Languinita's equinox pale oat ale....Keep coming back to this one

A dissapointing pint of full sail. Were it not for the 50 cent off voucher I wouldn't part with 6 euro for it.

Nor would I part with 55euro for a GBB hoodie. It must be made from Mithril

€6?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,639 ✭✭✭✭L1011

6??? was 5.50 all of a few weeks ago and I'd probably have looked to something else without the voucher to bring to 5. Think it was 4.50 not hugely long ago.

I presume only tourists ever buy bar branded hoodies/tshirts. Have seen some god awful generic pubs with them before

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

15B216-Wicklow-Wolf-Elevation-50cl-Bottle.png

Wicklow Wolf Elevation Pale Ale

Tasty and very drinkable. Not particularly remarkable but an enjoyable sup nonetheless.

• Advertisement

Had a Wicklow Wolf Zoso last night, disappointing - no aroma or flavour from the hops, so all you are left with is a generic bitterness.

Yellowbelly Citra Pale Ale can, very nice indeed.

Advertisement