Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Otterbank Brewing - Oak Aged 2016 Golden Sour

First beer in a long time that I've had to pour down the sink. Funky doughy smell. Unbelievably sour, vinegar like with no carbonation. There was nothing redeeming about this beer. Just awful really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

4 euro Wrasslers Saturdays are always the best Saturdays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Albert_Camus

Had a small sample of Guinness Amber - Dublin Pale Ale

Absolutely vile stuff, like a cheap imitation of something like Boddingtons or John Smiths. It was being served as a double pour too, there aren't enough of these :rolleyes:

I ordered it as there was nothing interesting and didn't want to stand around waiting for the Guinness and then he starts the two part pour rubbish. Awful decision by me overall!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Picked up what I believe is scientifically described as a "hape" of cans of Magic Rock's Grapefruit Highwire. There's talk of a family shindig in the parents place this weekend with my family and they're inviting the missuses parents and siblings so I'll need something I can sip for the day and that seems to fit the bill nicely.

4 for a tenner in Tesco, couldn't leave it there. Having one now, tis lovely.

My local Tesco appear to have upped their stock. They have stuff by Magic Rock, Founders, Anchor, Lagunitas, Metalman and Eight Degrees as well as the new Mcgargles export stout, session IPA and DIPA.

Tried the Guinness Amber one and the kindest I can say is that it doesn't taste of much. Same with their Nitro IPA. Tried their bottled Antwerpen though which is decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

Hi guys. What are some of the better lagers/Pilsners out there? Feel free to name some hard-to-find brands, but I'm especially interested in stuff that I'd get in a reasonably well-stocked 'craft beer' section in the likes of O'Brien's etc.

• Advertisement

I ordered it as there was nothing interesting and didn't want to stand around waiting for the Guinness and then he starts the two part pour rubbish. Awful decision by me overall!

Is the two-part pour even necessary with their stout?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

17B014-Hope-Oatmeal-IPA-33cl-Bottle_1.png

Hope Beer Limited Edition Oatmeal IPA

Nice full bodied IPA with good carbonation. Balanced fruit flavours. Have to say that I enjoyed this.

Passenger wrote: »
    Hope Beer Limited Edition Oatmeal IPA

Nice full bodied IPA with good carbonation. Balanced fruit flavours. Have to say that I enjoyed this.

Sounds great. Where did you pick it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Paleblood wrote: »
    Sounds great. Where did you pick it up?

I purchased it in O'Brien's. They usually have a decent selection of craft lagers too but their selection varies depending on each store.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Paleblood wrote: »
    Hi guys. What are some of the better lagers/Pilsners out there?
    Spaten, Jever, Augustiner Edelstoff, Budvar, YellowBelly Lager, Boyne Brewhouse Lager.

• Advertisement

Cheers guys!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

https://www.obrienswine.ie/media/catalog/product/1/5/15B173-Lomza-Unfiltered-50cl-Bottle.png

This is very nice stuff.
    But this week I'm drinking Nesselwanger Gold unfiltered. Good luck finding that in Ireland. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Currently drinking Guinness Antwerpen 1944 stout, which I presume is rebadged SES?

33cl bottle, 8%, Tesco = 3.25.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

A large bottle of 2015 barrel aged Narwhal. Spectacular doesn't even begin to do it justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Zaph wrote:
    A large bottle of 2015 barrel aged Narwhal. Spectacular doesn't even begin to do it justice.

Have one in the 'special' press. Takes some patience not to drink!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

VW 1 wrote: »
    Have one in the 'special' press. Takes some patience not to drink!

I got it as a Christmas present, but I decided that I had a good reason to crack it open tonight. I wish I had a few more bottles and a few more good reasons. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Boom.
    Lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Enjoying a bottle of Boon Oude Geuze Black Label. The cork does like to escape without much persuasion after removing the cage. Fantastic lazy sunday drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Boom.
    Lovely

4 for €10 in Tesco recently, €2.69 in Aldi today. Really, really, love the stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

4 for €10 in Tesco recently, €2.69 in Aldi today. Really, really, love the stuff

Same...great drop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Trouble Brewing Raspberry Weiss City. Love this beer, had an early version last year and was so glad they released it in bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Can of Hop City over the weekend. Hands down best IPA I've had this year. Great body to it and doesn't hide the alcohol too much which really adds to it I think.
    Also nice to have naparbier back. Had a bottle of Aker IPA, quite nice, not sure if it's the exact same as I remember it from before. Hopefully the range will expand soon enough here, I really miss Alien Claw.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Can of Hop City over the weekend. Hands down best IPA I've had this year. Great body to it and doesn't hide the alcohol too much which really adds to it I think.
    Also nice to have naparbier back. Had a bottle of Aker IPA, quite nice, not sure if it's the exact same as I remember it from before. Hopefully the range will expand soon enough here, I really miss Alien Claw.
    Different strokes for different folks with this one, I hated that IPA. A beer with 20 IBU should not be called hop city. No bitterness at all and the residual sweetness from a high mash temp and no specialty grain just tastes like water. I can see how the masses like these NE IPAs though. IPAs for people that don't like bitterness.

I can see how the masses like these NE IPAs though. IPAs for people that don't like bitterness.
    totally disagree, I generally don't like sweet IPAs, Lagunitas et al but I really enjoyed this. For example, some of my favourites would be Jack Hammer, Northern Monk New World, Stone and Odell IPA etc so I'm pretty sure I like fairly bitter IPAs. Didn't find Hop City very sweet at all.
    Interested to hear what others think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    totally disagree, I generally don't like sweet IPAs, Lagunitas et al but I really enjoyed this. For example, some of my favourites would be Jack Hammer, Northern Monk New World, Stone and Odell IPA etc so I'm pretty sure I like fairly bitter IPAs. Didn't find Hop City very sweet at all.
    Interested to hear what others think of it.

It's not as sweet as lagunitas IPA or maximus, I'd say it's around 1014. But any IPA with no malt that finishes above 1010 doesn't taste right for me, the lack of bitterness emphasises that taste i think.

The siren and Northern monk collaboration, tropical death party. That was an amazing beer
    So complex for a black IPA. I love Odell's IPA, that beer started me on IPA.

The siren and Northern monk collaboration, tropical death party. That was an amazing beer

Hopefully this is still available and I'll keep an eye out for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

McGargles export stout

Just came into my local Tesco and I'm very impressed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Dungarvan - Magic Road is a cracking beer. My only complaint would be that it's a tad on the bitter side for my taste, although it's probably there to counter the lovely fruity toffee like sweetness, but the bitterness really does linger. Still a top beer though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I've been on that magic road near Dungarvan.

It's not magic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

BaZmO* wrote: »
    a tad on the bitter side
    Does Boards have an understatement award? Asking for a friend who no longer has a lower half on his face.

Advertisement