Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Timistry

Bottles of Staropraman. Such a clean tasting beer. Off to Prague in a week so im in training!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

14B029-Kinsale-Pale-Ale-KPA-50cl-Btl.png

Blacks KPA Kinsale Pale Ale

Light body, good carbonation, fairly moderate in the hops department though not particularly flavoursome. 5% ABV.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

BeerNut wrote: »
    Does Boards have an understatement award? Asking for a friend who no longer has a lower half on his face.

:)

Bitterness reminded me a bit of BrewDog Jackhammer's first iteration, but not quite as bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Had the first bbq of the season this afternoon, got myself some Magic Rock beers.

Those ARE magic.

Salty, Highwire and Grapefruit.

Also had a Grunt Saison.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Got an Unfiltered Lager here by Hope Brewery in Dublin. Really lovely, crisp lager. Not usually a lager drinker at all but this is a mighty good beer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Salty, Highwire and Grapefruit.

Finishing grapefruit as the last of those three. Have the coffee porter also in the press. Impressive enough from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

A can of Newcastle brown ale..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

On me joliers up in the wild north west and just finished sipping on one of their local brews, Dirty Chick by Bog Hopper. It's supposedly a Pilsner but to me it's very similar to a wheat beer or a craft style blonde Ale. Very drinkable and very nice beer but not a Pilsner in a million years, would need to be a lot crisper and clearer to be deemed a Pilsner.

Next up is Foyle's Gold by Evans' Brewery. Liking this one a lot so far. Light, crisp with refreshing citrus notes.

Just thinking though, isn't it great that you can now travel around Ireland and pretty much have a decent local beer anywhere you go. I haven't even started on the Kinnegar stuff yet! :)

I'm staying close enough to the Kinnegar Brewery and I'd love to visit one of the days but unfortunately they're only starting this years tours on Saturday, the day I'm going home. :( Ah well, maybe next time.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

BaZmO* wrote: »
    On me joliers up in the wild north west and just finished sipping on one of their local brews, Dirty Chick by Bog Hopper. It's supposedly a Pilsner but to me it's very similar to a wheat beer or a craft style blonde Ale. Very drinkable and very nice beer but not a Pilsner in a million years, would need to be a lot crisper and clearer to be deemed a Pilsner.

Apparently Boghopper beers will be available soon in Dublin. Looking forward to trying them because I used to work with the guy who owns the brewery. Really nice guy, I hope it's going well for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,106 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Hope Limited Edition Foreign Export Stout, really enjoyed it. Plenty of coffee flavour, malty, strong and rich.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Únětický Pivovar 12° a Czech style pilsner.

Not bad seems to be popular here in Prague. Don't think it's any better than Staropramen unfiltered or Urquell from the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

The Hope Oatmeal IPA is available in the bigger O'Briens and most Super Values.

I aim to buy as much as I can. Cracking IPA for the summer, hoping they turn it into a regular brew rather than just a special edition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Mcargles Francis big bangin IPA...Not half bad!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Erik Shin wrote: »
    Mcargles Francis big bangin IPA...Not half bad!

Just bought one of those in Tesco for later. The selection in there is suddenly infinitely better than it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

Just got 2 Kinnegar Scraggy Bay and 2 Kelly's mountain brew justice!

I think the scraggy bay is the nicest beer Iv had in a long time!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

TheBully wrote: »
    Just got 2 Kinnegar Scraggy Bay and 2 Kelly's mountain brew justice!

I think the scraggy bay is the nicest beer Iv had in a long time!

Just had a bottle of that myself. Lovely beer!

Got a Belgian blonde ale here called Cuvee des Trolls. Lovely crisp Belgian ale. Cheap in Super Valu too.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Just had a bottle of that myself. Lovely beer!

Got a Belgian blonde ale here called Cuvee des Trolls. Lovely crisp Belgian ale. Cheap in Super Valu too.

Thanks, i must go to SuperValu to pick a sample tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

H41

Smells like a Belgian golden. Weird beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Had Stone's Enjoy After 20 April Brett IPA, was nice-ish, had higher hopes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Had a couple of 8 Deg's Wayfarers last night, a very drinkable sour IPA.
    Have a bottle of " The Good", their burgundy cask Barely wine to sip on tonight. At 10.7% and a 750ml bottle I reckon I'll be sharing it.
    Looking forward to getting into it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

rsz_image_b6fffeee-faec-4641-8d54-b528d7c6dc7f_1024x1024.jpg

Brewdog Semi-Skimmed Occultist Stout

Had this on tap in The Beer Market. Smooth, rich and just bursting with dark fruit flavours. Delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Brewdog Hop Fiction - nothing too special here, has some tropical flavours but a bit thin I think.
    White hag and bodytonic elderflower sour was really good, the elderflower was not overpowering at all.
    Bloody 'ell - can I had didn't seem as good as last years batch. Certainly got better as it warmed up a little.

Passenger wrote: »

Had this on tap in The Beer Market. Smooth, rich and just bursting with dark fruit flavours. Delicious.

Had a couple of cans of it last night. First was nice but the 2nd which i had a room temp was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Had a couple of pints of Full Sail in a non-GBB pub on Sunday, I'm not sure if my tastebuds were off but it didn't taste great at all, has the recipe changed for draught?
    The second pint was a mistake as I'd ordered Full Irish instead and only really copped a few gulps in!

Had a couple of pints of Full Sail in a non-GBB pub on Sunday, I'm not sure if my tastebuds were off but it didn't taste great at all, has the recipe changed for draught?
    The second pint was a mistake as I'd ordered Full Irish instead and only really copped a few gulps in!

Not sure if the recipe has changed but I had a bottle recently and the hops were fairly weak. Thought it was just a bad bottle though.

I reckon it changed soon after they changed head brewer. Id much prefer the pint of Full Irish anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Passenger wrote: »

Had a can the other night and enjoyed it, but then made the mistake of following it up with a Founders breakfast stout, and the Brewdog beer just pales into insignificance. I know Brewdog are going for a different profile (subtle, opulence etc), but it just showed what an outstanding beer the Founders beer is. How does Founders keep making such wonderful beers?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Bus Boy

21st Amemdment Blood Orange Brew Free! Or Die IPA, absolutely delicious. Taste matches the nose. Orange concentrate used in the process and slight hoppy taste too.

Two Roads, Road 2 Ruin double IPA, interesting..heavy hop laden finish but quite nice all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Tried rascals dipa last night. Nice amber colour with a red hue. Hoppy aroma and fruity taste but has a very harsh, almost barleywine finish.
    Not hugely impressed but would give another try.

• Advertisement

Bus Boy wrote: »
    21st Amemdment Blood Orange Brew Free! Or Die IPA, absolutely delicious. Taste matches the nose. Orange concentrate used in the process and slight hoppy taste too.

Two Roads, Road 2 Ruin double IPA, interesting..heavy hop laden finish but quite nice all the same.

Love 21st Amendment stuff, I assume you;re in the states?
    Had a can of two roads lil heaven last night, excellent session IPA with great texture.

Advertisement