Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Bus Boy

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Love 21st Amendment stuff, I assume you;re in the states?
    Had a can of two roads lil heaven last night, excellent session IPA with great texture.

Hi Uncle_Moe, yeah, was over in Rhode Island. The stuff is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Had a couple of pints of Eight Degrees latest offering Lemon Drop last night. V nice, worth a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Trond wrote: »
    Had a couple of pints of Eight Degrees latest offering Lemon Drop last night. V nice, worth a try!

Where did you get your hands on that?

Where did you get your hands on that?

Sorry should have said originally, Its on tap in Alfies on Earlsfort Terrace....

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Lough Gill Pale Ale and Session? IPA are available in 0.4l cans. Remember the Irish craft beer scene a few years ago, first time experimenting with hop forward beers? Yep, homebrew circa 2005-tastic. Couldn't finish either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Journeyman IPA by station works.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Took a trip to Fresh in Smithfield after seeing it recommended by someone here. Came away with these, and even better one of the Backwoods Bastards was free because they do 6 for the price of 5. Some happy nights ahead. :)

415357.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Journeyman IPA by station works.

Any Station Works beer that I've had has tasted of metal. Terrible stuff masquerading under the "craft beer" label.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

8 Degrees - Lemon drop - one of 8 degrees poorer efforts unfortunately

Dungarvan - Curious Orange - not too bad, orange flavour was strong but did not seen to last too long

Stone - Imperial Saison - pretty decent. Didnt taste like its 9.something strength

Metalman - Port Lager - Okay, but not really lager taste. Seems like more of a blonde maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Any Station Works beer that I've had has tasted of metal. Terrible stuff masquerading under the "craft beer" label.

What's the deal with that? i've found that same taste in a lot of those beers too. Not just those either, but a lot of bad Irish craft beer I've tasted has that metallic off flavour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Im currently studying for what is hopefully my final ever registration exam and well today hasn't been a good day study wise.

However it struck me that I had a 2015 bottle of 200 fathoms left in my stash and sure what better excuse does one need to open a keeper than a crappy day.
    Expiry is Feb 2017, but don't pour it down the sink yet! Its still superb.
    Sadly I can't transport myself back two years ago to taste it fresh but it still has it.
    The whiskey isn't as pronounced as it used to be, but a strong taste of dark fruits. Similar in a lot of ways to Rochefort 10.

I probably should have waited a few days and done a side by side, but I planned to do that last year and well, I wanted it now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

What's the deal with that? i've found that same taste in a lot of those beers too. Not just those either, but a lot of bad Irish craft beer I've tasted has that metallic off flavour.

It's just poorly crafted beer. Keep an eye out for both the Foxes Rock and Journeyman series - they're both by Station Works, and equally poor. They also do a few beers that are sold in Aldi and Lidl (Brown Bear of Connemara is one), and as far as I can work out, they're all from pretty much the same batch.

It's a company trying to latch onto the craft beer market with crap beers. I'm always suspicious of beers that have the words "craft beer" on the label - it's like they're trying to convince themselves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

1927 Bavaria Weiss...It's ok.. But a bit bland

Lagunitas Waldo Special Ale, absolutely delicious.

21st Amendment again, 'Hell or High Watermelon'. Very nice aftertaste of watermelon naturally enough.
    21st Amendment Blood Orange on draft, hard to beat this refreshing one again.

Half Moon Bay 'Bourbon Barrel Aged, Damage Inc Imperial Stout, 11.9% in 10oz only. Woah Boy, full bodied, put hairs on your chest!

Modern Times 'Drop Art', fresh and crisp.

And finally, Mikkeller SD Mors Run, gin inspired saison with peppercorns, lemon, grapefruit and juniper...it was interesting.

And with the summer coming, picked up a 6 pack of Sierra Nevada's 'Sidecar Orange Pale Ale', been hearing great reports so looking forward to it this week. Not avail in Ireland for a few more weeks.

21st Amendment again, 'Hell or High Watermelon'. Very nice aftertaste of watermelon naturally enough.

Half Moon Bay 'Bourbon Barrel Aged, Damage Inc Imperial Stout, 11.9% in 10oz only. Woah Boy, full bodied, put hairs on your chest!

And finally, Mikkeller SD Mors Run, gin inspired saison with peppercorns, lemon, grapefruit and juniper...it was interesting.

And with the summer coming, picked up a 6 pack of Sierra Nevada's 'Sidecar Orange Pale Ale', been hearing great reports so looking forward to it this week. Not avail in Ireland for a few more weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Thoroughly enjoyed a few Aldi Rheinbacher beers recently. Definitely worth a punt at 6 for €7 or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Bus Boy wrote: »

Picked up some Waldos a couple weeks ago. A bit to sweet for me but still nice and not a hint of alcohol for almost 12%

I thought Side Car was ok, the orange is very subtle. I preferred thier Tropical IPA and the seasonal Golden IPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Had a can of the latest born to die last night, cracking stuff as usual.
    Followed that with Buxton Axe Edge. Lovely IPA, more English style I think with less of the tropical flavours you expect from most IPAs these days. Made a nice change.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Question: is this year's 200 Fathoms coming out this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

An File wrote: »
    Question: is this year's 200 Fathoms coming out this week?

Tonight. Launch in gasworks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

matrim wrote: »
    Tonight. Launch in gasworks
    And The Salthouse. On sale in shops and other bars tomorrow.

Im hoping to get 8 of them! We'll see though...

Had a cracking stout last w/e. Siren Bourbon Milkshake. If you like sweet stouts you'll love this. I had it at room temp. Comes in at 11%

@Ipso, I agree. Sidecar was a little underwhelming for me too. I suppose it was after having the 21st Amendment Blood Orange that I expected much more.
    I was in The Drink Store today stocking up on some gems. I picked up Ten Fidy from Oskar Blues, looks like a humdinger. A bottle of Bourbon Milkshake from Siren Craft Brew and Brew Dog 'Born to Die'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

BB-New-300x300.png

McGargles Francis' Big Bangin' IPA

7.1% ABV. Medium bodied, good carbonation, a tad fruity, easy on the hops and just a very drinkable IPA. Wasn't particularly enamored by any of McGargles other offerings that I tried but this is a decent sup.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Anybody try 200 fathoms last night, thoughts?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I thought it was pretty good. Much smoother and mature-tasting than the 2016 was when it was released.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'll have to pick up a few bottles over the weekend, if any have made their way to Limerick yet. I still have a few saved from 2014-2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Passenger wrote: »
    BB-New-300x300.png

7.1% ABV. Medium bodied, good carbonation, a tad fruity, easy on the hops and just a very drinkable IPA. Wasn't particularly enamored by any of McGargles other offerings that I tried but this is a decent sup.

I've also enjoyed quite a few of these in the past few months. Taste aside, I'd also put it in the rocket fuel category.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭jh79

Has anyone tried the new francis session and dipa versions and the standalone DIPA seen them in tesco yesterday?

• Advertisement

Passenger wrote: »
    BB-New-300x300.png

Its one of my favourites and a great bang for your buck at e3.

I tried their Double Banging last week.

Its different enough to this one, it mentions grapefruit, and that was a good indicator as to it's dominant tone.
    Its probably not worth buying at e3.60 though when you can get Francis for e3 though it was nice enough that I'd at least add it into a 3 for e9 should they drop it down.

Advertisement