Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Picked up a 200 fathoms and KBS for the weekends supping. Excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,953 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

An File wrote: »
    Question: is this year's 200 Fathoms coming out this week?

Pouring in Abbot's Ale House in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

VW 1 wrote: »

Snap! About to open my first ever KBS. Took it out of the fridge 20 mins ago...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Pouring in Abbot's Ale House in Cork

Wonder how long it'll last there! I should be in Cork for a weekend in May, but I don't know yet which weekend. :P

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

VW 1 wrote: »

Got my supply of 200 Fathoms on the way home from work. Molloy's in Clonsilla have a good bit in stock, and also plenty of KBS, if anyone's looking for either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

BeerNut wrote: »
    I thought it was pretty good. Much smoother and mature-tasting than the 2016 was when it was released.

I really didn't rate the 2016 version. It was extremely harsh with an in your face alcohol/whiskey kick without having much body or complexity for for an Imperial Stout. I thought it would improve with age, unfortunately the one that I had last week didn't. Real pity as the 2015 was incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Its one of my favourites and a great bang for your buck at e3.

I tried their Double Banging last week.

Its different enough to this one, it mentions grapefruit, and that was a good indicator as to it's dominant tone.
    Its probably not worth buying at e3.60 though when you can get Francis for e3 though it was nice enough that I'd at least add it into a 3 for e9 should they drop it down.
    I don't consider Francis that good, but the Double is really nice actually. A very west coast style ipa well executed. They are 3e in Tesco right now actually

Zaph wrote:
    Got my supply of 200 Fathoms on the way home from work. Molloy's in Clonsilla have a good bit in stock, and also plenty of KBS, if anyone's looking for either.

Molloy's Finglas village for me. Had a few knocking around, only came in this morning according to the gentleman I was speaking yo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Latest batch of White Rabbit isnt up to much imo. Had it last year and it was far superior.

Having a couple of Black Bettys as a build up to my first KBS. Decided to go with room temp for the KBS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

12th-of-Never-Can.png

Lagunitas 12th of Never Pale Ale

Pretty nondescript pale ale tbh. Light body, good carbonation, crisp and citrusy, fairly thin mouthfeel. 5.5% ABV. Only €3.20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Bus Boy

Trond wrote: »
    Latest batch of White Rabbit isnt up to much imo. Had it last year and it was far superior.

Having a couple of Black Bettys as a build up to my first KBS. Decided to go with room temp for the KBS.

Grabbed a couple of bottles of this years KBS, probably do the same and try it at room temp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Would anyone know if Lagunitas hop stoopid is coming back to ireland? Lagunitas themselves have told me it's a seasonal release for ireland, I've tweeted who I think is the Irish distributors (GrandCrubeers) a couple of times but no response.

Would anyone know if Lagunitas hop stoopid is coming back to ireland? Lagunitas themselves have told me it's a seasonal release for ireland, I've tweeted who I think is the Irish distributors (GrandCrubeers) a couple of times but no response.

I'll find out for you...

More than likely but will depend on some other variables.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Had some
    Two Hundred Fathoms on draught

Seriously tasty

galwaybaybrewerytwohundredfathoms.jpg

(Pic.. from beernuts blog)

2017 Two Hundred Fathoms is delicious. Better then 2016 imho. It's smoother and more rounded in the flavour department. Had it on draught too.

2016 200 fathoms. Beautifully smooth, the whisky flavor more distinctive than I remember from this time last year. Wonderfully smooth mouth feel. Fantastic beer.

Had it in the "abbots ale house" it was just in on Friday.

Not cheap, but still good value.

mikeecho wrote: »
    Had it in the "abbots ale house" it was just in on Friday.

Not cheap, but still good value.

€7.25 in The Beer Market anyway, which is par for the course with the quality of beer you're getting imo. I think it's lovely this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Seems to be a bit of controversy of the new KBS release over here, a different abv and bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,953 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Passenger wrote: »
    €7.25 in The Beer Market anyway, which is par for the course with the quality of beer you're getting imo. I think it's lovely this year.

For how much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Had a bottle of 200 Fathoms last night. Much nicer than last year but I don't think it is as nice as the 2015.

The underlying body is balanced with plenty of chocolate, coffee and some vanilla and it thens ends with a decent whiskey hit. As you get into it and it warms up this mellows and the underlying flavours come out.

Also had a Wood Key, The Hunted Deer during the week. I wasn't a fan of this a bit to sweet and syrupy for me

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Seems to be a bit of controversy of the new KBS release over here, a different abv and bottle.

I actually couldn't find the abv on the label at all

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Don't normally drink stout but got talked into trying a couple of bottles of two hundred fathoms at the local offie after we had a big conversation about whiskey. I'm damn glad I did what a great drink of full flavoured liquid happiness!

Passenger wrote: »

€6 for a half pint in abbots ale house

Zaph wrote:
    I actually couldn't find the abv on the label at all

I looked at last years and this years the other day, 11.9 and 12.4 but can't remember right now which one was the higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

My 2015 bottle us 11.2
    The bottle I got last week are 11.9

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I thought they changed it every year? Last years was 12.4% which was about 1% stronger than the previous year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I thought they changed it every year? Last years was 12.4% which was about 1% stronger than the previous year?

It's officially 11.8 this year but the bottles we got are 11.9, there's a 2016 version on untappd that's also 11.9, also the BB dates on the bottles seem to suggest Nov 17 very strange.

Had a little 200 Fathoms this evening in Brew Dock, didn't disappoint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,106 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Tempest Saison in Santander tonight, really good Saison IMO, lightly sour,refreshimg, a touch happy, overall very drinkable.

Advertisement