Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

3 Monts biere de garde. Not a style I'm familiar with, but this was really sickly sweet to the point that I couldn't drink more than a few mouthfuls.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Cast Iron

After taking it seriously handy at the last few months back in the game

20170505_210457.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

260x510_p1487698507853_the_with_hag_snakes_&_scholars_irish_stout.jpg

White Hag Snakes and Scholars Stout

White Hag have produced some delicious stouts and set the bar high but this is disappointing. Zero head, barely any carbonation, watery. Very dry finish. No distinctive flavours whatsoever. 4% ABV.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Stone Barrel Boom session IPA.€2.69 in Aldi. Thought it was pretty good, may have another in fact :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Magic Rock High Wire. Nicest pale ale Ive had this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Coffee and Cigarettes by Brewdog and Beavertown.
    It's coffee and tobacco. If you like peaty whiskey you will really like this.
    Its a boozy 12.1%

I really liked it.

On a coffee stout mission tonight so filled it with 3 Bean stout from Lervig Aktiebryggeri.

It's certainly different, coffee,rum, raisins, cinnamon, vanilla and liquorice. Every sip had some combination of those flavours.

Really enjoyed it. As it warned up a bit I got a little chilli or spice kick too. But nothing too hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Passenger wrote: »
    260x510_p1487698507853_the_with_hag_snakes_&_scholars_irish_stout.jpg

White Hag Snakes and Scholars Stout

White Hag have produced some delicious stouts and set the bar high but this is disappointing. Zero head, barely any carbonation, watery. Very dry finish. No distinctive flavours whatsoever. 4% ABV.

Yeah thought that was White Hag's poorest effort so far. Very disappointing, considering how good The Hare and The Hag was.

Got a bottle of this year's KBS. Amazing stout!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Latest release of KBS. Perfection!

This.

Also tried the latest Bigfoot and 200 Fathoms tonight.

Possibly beer nirvana. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭LastLagoon

Have a few 200 fathoms stashed for a special occasion next week
    Had a bottle of full sail tonight for first time in ages,have they changed recipe,doesn't have that lovely dry aftertaste,could be my palette has adjusted,was one of my first proper craft beers.
    Kinnegar crossroads becoming my go to,always delivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Keeping coffee & cigarettes and the 3 bean for a colder climate

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Magic Rock Fantasma - best beer of the weekend. Very juicy but still lots of bitterness, perfect for the good weather. It's gluten free which doesn't seem to affect it at all, maybe a tad thin but I could be just looking for something as it's gluten free. Would def drink again. Have a couple of the lervig beers at home but yet to try.

Keeping coffee & cigarettes and the 3 bean for a colder climate

I was tempted also but got greedy and had both already. I enjoyed them both but very different from each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Richie71

200 fathoms last night and kbs tonight. Two fantastic stouts . Also had a Hope Oatmeal IPA earlier before the sun went down. Another great beer.

First time I ever had to calculate the abv of a beer though. The KBS says 'approximately 3.5 standard drinks. One standard drink contains 12.87 ml of alcohol.' So, in a 355 ml bottle that makes......

...anyone?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I thought KBS had the abv.% somewhere on the label, perhaps sideways up the front of the logo? Check it again just in case. I think it's 11.9% or close to it.

I'm having a 2017 bottle of 200 Fathoms. Had a bottle early last week as well. Very impressed by it. I've put a few away for special occasions as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Was going past black sheep earlier and dropped in for a glass of 200 fathoms. I'm really impressed with this year's version.

Also had a taste of godspeed which seems lovely and tart without going down the sour route.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Richie71

Checked it again there. It's not where you say it is but low and behold stamped with the best before date in white writing, almost mixed in with the bit I read before..... 11.9 0/0 abv.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Currently sitting out in the sun on a deck chair drinking stone ipa. Canned a month ago. This is what days off are made for :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,953 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Richie71 wrote: »
    200 fathoms last night and kbs tonight. Two fantastic stouts . Also had a Hope Oatmeal IPA earlier before the sun went down. Another great beer.

First time I ever had to calculate the abv of a beer though. The KBS says 'approximately 3.5 standard drinks. One standard drink contains 12.87 ml of alcohol.' So, in a 355 ml bottle that makes......

...anyone?

Going on the above, the ABV would be 12.7%

Seems to be a few more 200 Fathoms around this year then I remember. Over the last few days, I've seen remaining stock in about 3 different places.

Still have a few left myself :pac:

• Advertisement

Irish Blessing - Boulder Beer Company : Excellent coffee and whiskey flavour. Used Jameson oak soaked for the whiskey taste. Enjoyed this alot.

Droppin Cones - Laughing Sun Brewery : Lovely DIPA very juicy.

Bourbon Barrel - Bird Dog brewing : A nice roasty porter with a hint of rum and chocolate finishes off with a nice bourbon flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Tesco doing Magic Rock now! 4 High Wire for a tenner is a cracking deal. Had another few of them in the sun yesterday. Perfect.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Trond wrote: »
    Tesco doing Magic Rock now! 4 High Wire for a tenner is a cracking deal. Had another few of them in the sun yesterday. Perfect.

It's BBQ weather this week! :) I had a few cans of Dead Pony Club yesterday for the first time in ages. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭jh79

KBS is on tap at Caribou Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Acid Jam from Siren, battery licking good!

16B191-8_-Supernova-Double-IPA-33cl-Bottle.png

Eight Degrees Supernova Double IPA

One of the finest IPA's from an Irish brewer IMO and definitely the best value at €3.25. 8% ABV. Bursting with flavour, perfectly balanced with just the right amount of hops and a tinge of sweetness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,106 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

jh79 wrote: »
    KBS is on tap at Caribou Galway

Has been on and off for the last month in there.

Wild beer Co Pogo, really good fruity pale ale, orange and passion fruit came through but subtley enough. Very enjoyable.

BrewDog Semi - Skimmed Occultist.

They can veer from great to 'wilful' but I really like this.

Having a bottle of this years Two Hundred Fathoms. Just as rich and delicious as it is on draught and still better then last years release imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭jh79

Has been on and off for the last month in there.

Wild beer Co Pogo, really good fruity pale ale, orange and passion fruit came through but subtley enough. Very enjoyable.

Had Pogo and a Peach IPA ( Siera Nevada) in the Oslo. Both were nice but a bit too friuty for me.

Bloody Ell will be on tap soon in the Oslo.

Wild Beer are having a tap takeover in Caribou soon too.

Advertisement